BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 29, 2014 11:09 am  #181

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

I'm currently obsessed with the Lynley-Havers-books by Elizabeth George.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

April 29, 2014 11:14 am  #182

silverblaze, that would be great ;]

kittykat wrote:

They're brand new stories, but they take place between episodes of the show. I've only managed to track down two so far, and they take place between episodes of Season 7  Try any kind of bookstore you can find. 

I've just found two ebooks - Nevermore, and Bone Key - in translation in my language so that's something  

Last edited by Deilenn (April 29, 2014 11:15 am)

The Road goes ever on and on...

April 29, 2014 2:51 pm  #183

The Love Book. It is available as an app. Mixture of quotes, poems and prose. Some to read yourself, all on your own and others with the option to hear it being read. Readers include: Helena Bonham Carter, Emma Watson, Damian Lewis, Helen McRory and ...Tom Hiddleston (Ta-Da!). 10% of the proceeds donated to Save The Children.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 29, 2014 6:39 pm  #184

Deilenn wrote:

silverblaze, that would be great ;]

kittykat wrote:

They're brand new stories, but they take place between episodes of the show. I've only managed to track down two so far, and they take place between episodes of Season 7  Try any kind of bookstore you can find. 

I've just found two ebooks - Nevermore, and Bone Key - in translation in my language so that's something  

Yay! 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

May 4, 2014 8:46 am  #185

I'm not reading them at the moment, but I would like to recommend the Iron Fey - series. The best books I've ever read in my entire life!

May 5, 2014 7:58 am  #186

Stephen Nachmanovic - Free Play (German title translates: The Tao of Creativity)
Maybe you like it. It's about the connection between technique and playing. Playfulness and forgetting oneself in playing. The conditions you need to achieve it in e.g. playing an instrument or drawing or writing, whatever art you do or what activity or work you prefer.
Interesting insight into the author's mind who plays the violin and knows about zen and eastern philosophy.
What you can't have while playing is too much self-consciousness.

Last edited by Be (May 5, 2014 11:23 am)

May 7, 2014 6:09 pm  #187

I'm reading now Alan's Turning biography. It's "Alan Turning: The Enigma" written by Andrew Hodges. It's difficult book, facts about Turning life are mixed with talking about different mathematics laws and problems. Autor is mathematician and you could feel this reading this book. And yet I recommend it. Turning was such interesting, interesting person and also very complex. If you like "Beautiful Mind" you will like this book too.

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

May 11, 2014 9:54 am  #188

Since I'm travelling to North Frisia this September, I started reading Theodor Storm's "The Dykemaster" (Der Schimmelreiter). I already read it in school when I was 14 and I really hated that book, even I was always intrigued by the story. Now, since I'm older and have read other, really demanding books like Tolstoi, I'm soo fascinated by the book. I love the vivid use of words to describe scenery and characters. It won't be the last time, I read this book.

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

May 11, 2014 9:57 am  #189

I am starting a new book today.
Following on from the last one, I am taking one of the chatacters: James Hutton and reading his own biography.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 11, 2014 10:09 am  #190

Andrew Hodges/ The Enigma ... to prepare for TIG. Keep the fingers crossed that I am going to "understand" it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

May 17, 2014 2:53 pm  #191

I read "A Street Cat Named Bob" this morning. What a lovely story, and a bit of a tear jerker too. I've already purchased part two, looks like that'll be on the list of things to read on my trip to England next week.

May 17, 2014 3:09 pm  #192

"To The Ends Of The Earth". But now I just bought "The Yellow Birds" and wonder if I should read that one first. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 17, 2014 11:39 pm  #193

gently69 wrote:

Andrew Hodges/ The Enigma ... to prepare for TIG. Keep the fingers crossed that I am going to "understand" it.

It's difficult book ( especially when it talks about maths stuff ) but on the other hand it's very good study about Alan Turing complex personality. I wish you good luck with reading 

I think I will start now "The lost city of Z" - hope it will be good.

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

May 18, 2014 7:15 am  #194

I am starting a new book today and I am very pleased to announce it's a biography on Arthur Conan Doyle:
Teller of Tales by Daniel Stashower

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 18, 2014 8:36 am  #195

Sounds interesting
I'm reading Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantell - a fictionalised account of the early life of Thomas Cromwell.
I'm reading these back to front actually, as I read Bring up The Bodies (the second instalment) first!!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

May 18, 2014 8:56 pm  #196

Just started on The Yard by Alex Grecian. It takes place after the Ripper murders as Scotland Yard's new Murder Squad is put to the test after a body is discovered brutally murdered and stuffed in a trunk left at a train station..

May 20, 2014 3:01 pm  #197

Mastermind: How to think like Sherlock Holmes

I'm half way through it and I really enjoy it. Some very interesting stuff.

Just like old times...

May 24, 2014 5:56 pm  #198

I am reading The Lovely Bones by Alice Seold.

Benedict Cumberbatch

"So, I am human, I’m not as tall as people think I am... I’m nice-ish, clever, important to some people, but I tend to rub them up the wrong way."

May 24, 2014 5:58 pm  #199

Are you enjoying it?
I remember my pal talking about it a lot.

May 25, 2014 8:14 am  #200

The Lovely Bones really stayed with me for a long while after I'd read it - evoked so many emotions.
It's one I don't think I could read twice, though.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

Board footera