BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 17, 2014 2:45 pm  #1

The Yellow Birds

So there seem to be definitely a new project for Benedict just announced in Cannes:

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/cannes-benedict-cumberbatch-tye-sheridan-in-iraq-war-drama-yellow-birds-1201184190/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cannes-benedict-cumberbatch-star-war-705103

I does not say anything about his part and the time of filming but it seems quite solid information.

The film is based on a novel by Kevin Powers that was a finalist for the National Book Award. Sounds very good. 

http://www.kevincpowers.com/the_yellow_birds_114142.htm

Last edited by SusiGo (May 17, 2014 2:48 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 17, 2014 2:49 pm  #2

Re: The Yellow Birds

That definitely sounds very interesting, could be a very dramatic role for Benedict.
Although I wonder... he's really supposed to play a 21-year-old...? I mean, Benedict sometimes tends to look much younger than he really is, but 21...?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 17, 2014 2:53 pm  #3

No, he is not going to play one of the young soldiers. There is a pic of him and two very young actors in one of the articles. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 17, 2014 2:55 pm  #4

But in the Variety article it says this - or am I reading this wrong?

The story centers around two soldiers, a 21-year-old played by Cumberbatch and a teenager played by Sheridan, who meet in boot camp on the eve of their deployment in Iraq.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

May 17, 2014 2:56 pm  #5

Oh, I did not see that. This would be really strange. 

May 17, 2014 2:58 pm  #6

Fantastic news! Would be quite a feat even by Ben's standards to pull off a 21-year old. XD

May 17, 2014 2:58 pm  #7

Well, it's the very early stages and everything, so I suppose we can just lean back, wait and see. Even Variety might get the facts a bit wrong sometimes.

May 17, 2014 2:59 pm  #8

Right. Cautious optimism, then.

May 17, 2014 3:04 pm  #9

I realy on the Hollywood Reporter pics showing Benedict and the two very young actors. Just bought the book. So if there is an interesting part for an older officer I suppose it might be his. 

May 17, 2014 3:12 pm  #10

Have a look at this review (if you are not afraid of some spoilers) - I would opt for Sterling being his part. 

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/aug/31/the-yellow-birds-kevin-powers-review

May 17, 2014 3:18 pm  #11

Oh wow, Sterling would be great... at least according to what is said about him in that review.

May 17, 2014 3:19 pm  #12

I guess Sterling is the only plausible option. Therefore, a supporting role again, but should be interesting, nevertheless. 

May 17, 2014 3:22 pm  #13

I prefer him doing big things on stage and TV and good supporting roles in films to any silly blockbuster lead - until a big intelligent lead role for the big screen crops up. 

May 17, 2014 3:24 pm  #14

I'm pretty sure Variety has it wrong, I mean look at their stupid review of TiG!!

Very exciting tho, and if filming starts soon explains the super buffness ;)

I'm clueing for looks

May 17, 2014 4:23 pm  #15

Fantastic news! This shall be interesting to follow!

And I can't wait to see even more of this! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

May 17, 2014 4:29 pm  #16

This sounds an excellent project...when would they film?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 17, 2014 4:33 pm  #17

No infomation so far. 

May 17, 2014 4:59 pm  #18

Still, something else to look forward to!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 17, 2014 5:09 pm  #19

So, let's keep the fingers crossed that this time it is ... a fact.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

May 17, 2014 5:12 pm  #20

It looks quite official and has been announced in Cannes, not by some obscure guy on Twitter. Now I would like to know when this will be filmed. Not in 2015, I hope. I think he might not do "Blood Mountain" now but there is still LCoZ and Hamlet and Richard (and Sherlock) … 

Board footera