BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 1, 2012 9:59 pm  #1

The amazing Una Stubbs aka Mrs Hudson

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 10, 2012 5:03 pm  #2

Re: The amazing Una Stubbs aka Mrs Hudson

Q & A With Una Stubbs: The Joy of Victoria Sponges + Getting Sherlock Holmes to Eat

http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2012/05/q_a_with_una_stubbs.php

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 10, 2012 6:43 pm  #3

That works! Thank you! I think I should like to try a piece of Una's Victoria sponge. Benedict is definitely 'jolie laide' (though it 'sounds a bit rude' when you say it aloud, as Mrs. Hudson would say!)

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 31, 2012 1:56 pm  #4

Una Stubbs will be appearing as Mrs. Alexander in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time at the National Theatre, London, this summer. The play will be running from July 24-September 12 in the Cottesloe Theatre. Tickets  are priced from £12.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 31, 2012 2:08 pm  #5

I would love to go see her. Someone do it for me, please

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 31, 2012 6:54 pm  #6

The play will be broadcast as part of NTlive on 6th September 2012.

Una will also be holding a 'conversation' at the NT on 15th October 2012 at 3pm. Tickets cost £5.

June 12, 2012 7:01 pm  #7

Davina wrote:

Una Stubbs will be appearing as Mrs. Alexander in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time at the National Theatre, London, this summer. The play will be running from July 24-September 12 in the Cottesloe Theatre. Tickets  are priced from £12.

That's a very interesting book. If you can't make it to the play (I can't), you could at least read the book and imagine her in it.

By the way, in the commentary for Belgravia on the DVDs for season 2, you get the feeling that the cast et al love Una the way we love her Mrs. Hudson. It's very respectful of her stature, admiring of her character and skill, and sweet. Overall, though, I kind of wish I hadn't listened to the commentary. It takes away some of the mystery.

June 13, 2012 2:31 am  #8

veecee wrote:

By the way, in the commentary for Belgravia on the DVDs for season 2, you get the feeling that the cast et al love Una the way we love her Mrs. Hudson. It's very respectful of her stature, admiring of her character and skill, and sweet. Overall, though, I kind of wish I hadn't listened to the commentary. It takes away some of the mystery.

I think Martin & Una have worked together before; and as for Benedict (as seen in Sherlock's caring for Mrs Hudson) she's known him most her life:

The story goes that you’ve known Benedict Cumberbatch since he was little. True?

Una: Yes. I worked with his mother [actress Wanda Venthem]. We used to sit chatting in the park and I’d be with my children and she’d be with Benedict. So I knew him as a little boy of about 4. Very polite. A lovely boy.

I'll post the interview in a thread if it hasn't already been done.

Oh, JaneCo has posted it in this thread :

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=659

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 13, 2012 6:09 pm  #9

kazza474 wrote:

veecee wrote:

I think Martin & Una have worked together before; and as for Benedict (as seen in Sherlock's caring for Mrs Hudson) she's known him most her life:

The story goes that you’ve known Benedict Cumberbatch since he was little. True?

Una: Yes. I worked with his mother [actress Wanda Venthem]. We used to sit chatting in the park and I’d be with my children and she’d be with Benedict. So I knew him as a little boy of about 4. Very polite. A lovely boy.

I'll post the interview in a thread if it hasn't already been done.

Oh, JaneCo has posted it in this thread :

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=659

That is so sweet. Thank you.
Benedict at 4 - hmm? Sherlock at 4 - hmm?

June 13, 2012 7:09 pm  #10

I didn't remember posting it. "It's all become a bit of a blur" 

June 14, 2012 3:15 am  #11

JaneCo wrote:

I didn't remember posting it. "It's all become a bit of a blur" 

OH I know what you mean ; tenfold.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 14, 2012 3:53 pm  #12

OMG. that book really freaked me out when I read it when it was first published, can't really remember why. Maybe I will revisit it now that I have a Kindle. Did I mention that I HAVE A KINDLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

June 14, 2012 5:43 pm  #13

And what is this 'Kindle' of which you speaketh?

June 14, 2012 6:07 pm  #14

Only the best thing EVER!!!!

Seriously, I own way, way too many books (worked in a bookshop for 15 years and just recycled my wages back into the shop) and as I have the habit of moving house every few years, it costs me a fortune to cart them all around. So I am trying to only buy Kindle books now instead of physical books (failing slightly, but what are ya gunna do?). And Amazon has FREE books to download, I love free shit.

Last edited by hepzibah (June 14, 2012 6:07 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

June 14, 2012 6:12 pm  #15

I love my Kindle, too!!! I got my first about three years ago. I only had it about two weeks when my husband had to have one. We've both upgraded since then and passed our old ones along. And we've given at least three new ones as gifts. I still enjoy a regular book, but I love my Kindle!! And I am carrying all of the SH canon around with me on it.  Did I mention that I love my Kindle?

July 2, 2012 2:11 am  #16

I do hope someone gets the chance to see Una in her upcoming play!

I really enjoyed this short Una Stubbs interview from a few months back.   She looks and sounds so fantastic doesn't she? - we should all be so lucky at age 75.

"...the writing.., the direction..,  and the boys!  the gorgeous boys!.."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBCHPY9DbVk&feature=related
(apologies if this was posted previously)

July 2, 2012 5:15 am  #17

I believe the play will also be shown on NT Live at cinemas but I am not sure of the distribution. In September.

July 2, 2012 1:35 pm  #18

That was really interesting to see Una Stubbs as herself; I hadn't before.  But I wish the interviewer had let her speak more instead of cutting her off so frequently--I didn't think much of Lorraine's interviewing skills.  If she had given more wait time to Una, I think we would have heard a lot more from her.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

July 4, 2012 9:44 am  #19

The National Theatre have posted some rehearsal photos from Una's upcoming play on Facebook.

www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150939193078857.415829.107334993856&type=1

July 18, 2012 6:59 pm  #20

A few restricted view seats have just been released by the NT for the Curious Incident performances until 31st August.

Board footera