BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 28, 2012 8:30 pm  #41

Re: Euro 2012

Hi, Sammy, I guess can't go on watching this  .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 28, 2012 8:40 pm  #42

Damn. I hoped Germany would've won.

Last edited by Dramagod (June 28, 2012 8:41 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 28, 2012 8:47 pm  #43

Thank you so much, Dramagod. It simply wasn't meant to be today. Well, at least I've got this forum to comfort me.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 28, 2012 8:47 pm  #44

Dramagod wrote:

Damn. I hoped Germany would've won.

So did I. But Italy was unstoppable today.
Sorry for our fellow Germans, I would have loved a Final against Germany.  And, to be honest, they fought like lions till the end.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 29, 2012 10:19 am  #45

There was a book about soccer released in Australia a few years ago called Sheilas, Wogs and Poofters. That is the general perception of those who play soccer - sheilas (women), wogs (a rather derogatory word for southern Europeans) and poofters (an even more derogatory word for gays).

There are three other football codes here - rugby league, australian rules, and rugby union. Soccer comes a distant fourth, which is sad because it seems a much more skillful game than the other three.

Anyway, enjoy your European sport. I can't wait until cricket starts later in the year. It's a sport you can watch and read a book at the same time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

June 29, 2012 10:25 am  #46

hepzibah wrote:

There was a book about soccer released in Australia a few years ago called Sheilas, Wogs and Poofters. That is the general perception of those who play soccer - sheilas (women), wogs (a rather derogatory word for southern Europeans) and poofters (an even more derogatory word for gays).

There are three other football codes here - rugby league, australian rules, and rugby union. Soccer comes a distant fourth, which is sad because it seems a much more skillful game than the other three.

Anyway, enjoy your European sport. I can't wait until cricket starts later in the year. It's a sport you can watch and read a book at the same time.

That's funny about the book because in Germany we have a discussion that soccer is one of the few areas of life in which no gay man dares to come out. The image of women players, however, is a bit different. They are often seen as not very feminine to put it mildly  . But it's absolutely fine that each country has its own sports. Today so many things get standardised and levelled down. Where would we be without all our differences?

June 29, 2012 2:05 pm  #47

Cough! Choke! Splutter! Did you really say more skilful than Rugby my girl?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 1, 2012 6:13 pm  #48

Just so you know, Irene: I'm going to support the Spanish team tonight - good luck!

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 1, 2012 6:15 pm  #49

I'm with you as well, Irene. But it's going to be hard for the Spanish boys, I mean, the Italians were good enough to beat Germany  .

July 1, 2012 7:34 pm  #50

When Spain just scored 2-- 0 our TV commentary was like: "What a final...special treat ...football to fall in love with!"
45 more minutes to go...

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 1, 2012 7:38 pm  #51

Hats off, they really deserve to win cup!

July 1, 2012 8:37 pm  #52

4 - 0
Youuuuu are the champions, my friend...!
Enhorabuena a España - soy feliz!
Party on, Irene!!!

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 1, 2012 8:40 pm  #53

Well played by Spain. Congrats to all the spanish girls of the board.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

July 1, 2012 9:00 pm  #54

Congratulations, Spain, well done! They really deserved the cup. But we'll meet again in Brazil .

July 1, 2012 9:59 pm  #55

Congratulations to the land of the Irene! :D

July 1, 2012 10:29 pm  #56

Many thanks you guys, you have really touched me... Oh yes...

WE DID IT!!!

This team has really got into History. And yes, we'll meet again in Brazil, of course. But what they have achieved today has never before been done so I'm now very proud of my boys!

¡VIVA LA ROJA!

Last edited by Irene Adler (July 1, 2012 10:30 pm)

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

Board footera