BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 12, 2014 5:20 pm  #81

Re: Fargo Discussion (WITH SPOILERS)

Bless him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 12, 2014 6:49 pm  #82

Probably everyone.    One of the best ending shots ever.  Chuckling long after the credits were over.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 12, 2014 7:34 pm  #83

Though it was awful when I really thought they were going to kill Lester!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 13, 2014 7:46 pm  #84

I'm really starting to wonder if they're going for some sort of Tell-Tale Heart thing with Lester's hand.  My viewing buddy says I'm crazy, but it wouldn't surprise me.  At this point, I think it would actually make more sense than if they were playing it straight.

May 13, 2014 7:50 pm  #85

Sorry I'm being a bit thick at the moment...
I'm not entirely certain what you mean.
But the hand is significant..

May 13, 2014 9:22 pm  #86

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

May 13, 2014 9:43 pm  #87

Neat idea…  I think I know what you mean.  Definitely having it be some kind of subtle 'weight'/guilt on him rather than play it straight, yes… a constant reminder, and perhaps eventual crux (like in Tell-Tale story) of Lester being found out.
Man… I really like all of the different storylines going on, but particularly can't wait to see what happens to Lester tonight!   ;D

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

May 14, 2014 4:40 am  #88

Saying nothing else about tonight, but thought it was too awesome (or impatient) to wait to mention to asyouwish that I laughed in surprised, humorous delight that you totally called it!  ;D   I told my friend about the possible connection and we both liked the idea (man, how did it even first occur to you?), as they're already subtly insinuating a ton of stuff with Lorne and biblical themes, that there could be other literary nods as well.  I love it when writers put subtle stuff like that in there (intentionally/unintentionally) and the fans either smartly pick up, or create their own inferences.  (hmm… sounds a lot like another favorite show…..)      

I'm sorry, couldn't help myself...   Just wanted to say thanks for the fun train of thought!

P.S.  Oh… and speaking of shows like this using neat imagery/metaphors, curious how you guys like, or what make of (if anything at all) of the episode titles?  So far, The Crocodile's Dilemma (that one kinda invokes Lorne for me), The Rooster Prince (Stavros?), A Muddy Road, Eating The Blame, The Six Ungraspables, then coming up is 'Buridan's Ass', 'Who Shaves the Barber?', 'The Heap', 'A Fox, a Rabbit and a Cabbage' (ooh, like that old logic riddle?) 

Last edited by Russell (May 14, 2014 5:05 am)

May 14, 2014 5:05 am  #89

Honestly, I was expecting them to go all out with it and have the wounded hand be completely in his mind because nobody but Lester was paying any attention to it and it was starting to drive me crazy.  The fact that he made it through a hospital stay and an arrest (!!!) without it being noticed was completely unbelievable to me.  The hand would've been treated before he ever made it into a cell, I don't care what sort of backwards small town he's in.  But it's been (somewhat) addressed now so I guess I can get over it and enjoy the rest of the story.    

I loved Molly this episode.  She's still my favorite.  I can't wait for her to take Lester's sorry ass down.

May 14, 2014 7:24 am  #90

Ok, seems like I have some serious catching-up to do as far as Fargo is concerned. Since I'm having a rotten time at work anyway at the moment I'm just in the right mood for this. So it's going to be Fargo night when I get home, will finally watch episodes 3 and 4.
(Ashamed to admit that right now I'm behind with all the series I usually watch, slowly catching up...)

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

May 14, 2014 7:41 pm  #91

Yeah… Molly's been pretty cool… and I was so relieved they finally had a previously-dense-person-being-smart (or just listening!) moment with Bill, and Stavros' son.  But yeah, I hear you!  I can let the hospital pass, because he could have said it was just a minor cut he took care of at the time.  But when he got arrested?  And nothing done about a more obvious wound?  (unless he was very insistent about anyone seeing it).  Loved how they played that.  But in the mind would have been fascinating…  ;D

May 21, 2014 11:36 am  #92

Definitely have to suspend some disbelief but this is such a great series. The atmosphere is fantastic. The way the feeling of dread and suspense is built. Billy Bob wow!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 21, 2014 8:49 pm  #93

Davina wrote:

Definitely have to suspend some disbelief but this is such a great series. The atmosphere is fantastic. The way the feeling of dread and suspense is built. Billy Bob wow!

This, this, and again this.      Seriously!  Billy Bob unnerved me several times just in last night's, despite several other 'belief suspension' moments, more than usual.  Maybe you're referring to the same, or, sorry, not sure if you've seen the latest one through other means, or watching it the scheduled time over there this Sunday.  What did you think?

I was wondering, though, about tonight's episode title, so looked it up….  'Buridan's Ass' (or 'donkey') isn't really a phrase commonly used, but the name of a paradox concerning free will from earlier times, named after a french philosopher.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buridan's_ass   In short, "It refers to a hypothetical situation wherein an ass that is equally hungry and thirsty is placed precisely midway between a stack of hay and a pail of water. Since the paradox assumes the ass will always go to whichever is closer, it will die of both hunger and thirst since it cannot make any rational decision to choose one over the other".  Wonder if that refers to Stavros, Lester, neither….?
Love how these shows we watch cause us to learn something in every ep.    And holy cow… speaking of Lester and his little facial expressions.  He's getting to be like Malvo!   

May 21, 2014 10:50 pm  #94

Please don't let Molly be dead

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 22, 2014 5:19 am  #95

Aww, tonnaree…        I thought of you/fans here of Molly at that moment, actually!  Practically exclaiming at the screen.  Fingers crossed with you!     (anyone else nervously eager though at the apparent ramping-up-towards-the-ending doom of a dangerous blizzard, "evil" Lester, and people caught in crossfire?)

May 22, 2014 10:53 am  #96

Evil Lester.  Yup.  That sly little grin he gave at the very end.  I know it's so wrong but I'm still rooting for him.  LOL   Martin has got to get an Emmy nomination for this. 

But once again Lorne is a special kindof evil.  The whole scene he set up with trainer guy was all sorts of F'ed up.  But that sort of F'ed up is what the Cohen brothers are known for.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 22, 2014 9:50 pm  #97

tonnaree wrote:

Evil Lester.  Yup.  That sly little grin he gave at the very end.  I know it's so wrong but I'm still rooting for him.  LOL   Martin has got to get an Emmy nomination for this. 

But once again Lorne is a special kindof evil.  The whole scene he set up with trainer guy was all sorts of F'ed up.  But that sort of F'ed up is what the Cohen brothers are known for.

All of this.  So much.  So many exclamations by my friend and I at Lorne, and the entire hospital storyline.  I even made my friend go back and replay that ending shot to watch Martin's impressive-as-ever face again.  ("omg, he's turning into Malvo!"  ;D)    But… uh… seriously?  I can roll with most of the craziness, but what was up with the fish?

(by the way, Joel and Ethan's last name is 'Coen', just so ya know.) 

May 23, 2014 2:37 am  #98

Dang, apparently I've been spelling it wrong for years!!   

The fish were a huge WTF moment.  Did Lorne do that?!?!  How the hell did fish rain from the sky?

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 23, 2014 3:17 am  #99

That's okay!  I just couldn't help but point out, in case you didn't know.  (cohen is the more common spelling, after all).   And…  yeahhh… tying it in to the whole 'dead animals'/acts-of-god plagues stuff?  Throwing on more crazy?  I have no idea… 

Either Lorne set it up to be 'rained' down from a plane to block the road he knew they'd travel back on in order to further unnerve them/have his fun  (just 'coincidence' it cause an accident, and that Stavros happened to sidetrack that way), or… just one big… accident?  Someone using dynamite over at the frozen lake?      Gah, this show.

May 23, 2014 8:21 am  #100

tonnaree wrote:

The fish were a huge WTF moment.  Did Lorne do that?!?!  How the hell did fish rain from the sky?

It really can happen and it happened (here for example: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1254812/Hundreds-fish-fall-sky-remote-Australian-town-Lajamanu.html) It's caused by tornadoes.

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

Board footera