BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 9, 2014 8:35 pm  #41

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2014

Why do you think, that Ireland would have made it when they would have been in the first semi-final?
I do understand your disappointment  though. Ireland was not one of my favorites but I liked them much more than some others who made it into the final (e.g. Belarus). 

Conchita is really amazing. What a voice! The song instantly reminded of an epic James Bond ballade.   Really bad luck for our German girls that they will have to perform directly after Conchita.

My favourites for the final are Austria and Armenia. I really like our song this year, it's so much better than last year, but unfortunatly there seems to be a very negativ opinion about Elaiza  (at least from the bookmakers).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

May 9, 2014 8:58 pm  #42

Because of the countries that could vote in the second semi final... historically all the eastern European countries vote for each other... it's all bloody politics. Like Denmark couldn't vote this time, but we could on Tuesday. Denmark have always given Ireland a lot of points, usually 8 or above... so it's all bad luck really. Which also infuriates me... 

In a way I'm almost scared to be in the arena tomorrow if Conchita doesn't win. It was so obvious how much the crowd there wants her to win. As do I! Not only for what she stands for. But darn it. THAT VOICE!! And to think she does that live

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

May 10, 2014 9:42 pm  #43

Swanpride wrote:

The singing was better, too, and I am glad that they didn't go too much over the top with the background...after all, what those girls have going for them is them is authenticity.

Yes, true. But I am afraid In contrast to the other countries Elaiza's performance just wasn't flashy enough. The stage technique this year is truely amazing with the light and the big screens in the background and one the floor. Of course this is not what should count, but I am afraid it will play an important part for the voting.
Overall I must say that the quality and diversity of the songs is very good this year. I voted for 7 different countries (Island, Norway, Armenia, Austria, Swiss, Finland, Netherlands)! I suppose, Austria will win.

Last edited by stoertebeker (May 10, 2014 9:43 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

May 10, 2014 9:54 pm  #44

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 10, 2014 10:08 pm  #45

"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

May 10, 2014 10:24 pm  #46

Yeah! Congrats Austria! 

"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

May 10, 2014 11:01 pm  #47

I was surprised that several countries which weren't expected gave their 12 points to Austria. For example Ireland and I think Israel as well.
Conchita was extraordinary, so Congratulations. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

May 10, 2014 11:21 pm  #48

Yes, some performances or costumes weren't exactly beneficial (e.g. Poland, Italy).

I really liked the song from the Netherlands too and I am so happy for their second position. But Austria's victory is also an important message towards tolerance and diversity.

I felt really sorry for the Russian girls. I think the audience wasn't fair to barrack them. Putin's politic is not their fault.

Last edited by stoertebeker (May 10, 2014 11:23 pm)

"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

May 11, 2014 12:47 am  #49

I wish the contest was broadcast on US TV.  I have fond memories of watching it when I was in Sweden a couple years after ABBA won but since then I haven't had the opportunity to see it.  I suppose I could search for it online, as I did when I heard the Tobe's son would be in it and watched the group perform then, but I didn't find out about the contest dates until the semi-finals were already underway.  And watching the performances after the fact just isn't the same as watching them live.  But I did see the performance of "Cake to Bake" on YouTube.  So sorry they didn't come higher, Tobe!    I also watched segments of several other songs a day or so ago.  And tonight I watched Conchita Wurst's winning performance: That certainly is a great voice!  Congratulations to all the competitors!

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (May 11, 2014 12:48 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

May 11, 2014 11:42 am  #50

I managed to sneak into the final without any trouble and ended up standing in the fan zone somehow... it was an AMAZING experience! Being backstage these 12 days have been incredible... but being there as a fan was just fantastic.

I'm a Conchita fan and I was one of the people who screamed the loudest for her... She's fantastic! I mean she can sing, she's beautiful, professional, what she stands for is amazing and  then she's just the kindest soul ever! I still can't believe she's both touchd my shoulder and talked to me during the week. 

I was not booing at Russia, but I wasn't cheering either. I don't believe in booing even if I do agree with those who did. Especially as you can tell I am big on LGBT rights and equality etc... I wasn't cheering for Armenia either because of the statements the singer came with about Conchita. 

For me the Eurovision has always been about diversity and being who you are and want to be. To me Conchita is the pure image of what that means. 

It was so fantastic when she sang the song the last time and we all sang, well practically roared with her. There was so much love in that room and it's given me a whole new faith in humanity. Especially also to see certain countries give her 12! WOW!

Still gutted my Irish friends didn't go through to the final. But they couldn't have done more

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

May 12, 2014 1:11 pm  #51

Sounds like you had a fantastic time Phantom
Hope you've got some lovely memories.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

Board footera