BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 11, 2014 12:36 am  #1

When did you first notice Benedict?

It took me quite a long while to notice Benedict. I saw the first two series of Sherlock a couple of times and he was just Sherlock, not too noticeable to me. Sometime before season 3, I saw Star Trek: Into Darkness and thought that Khan looked a little familiar, but it didn't niggle enough at me to bother researching the actor.

Then Sherlock series three happened. I had to stop TEH at the shaving scene because that lovely dark slicked back hair made me realise that, OMG, Khan=Sherlock. My head just about exploded as my two favourite fandoms collided. Finished watching season 3, which made me go from 'Sherlock is an entertaining show' to 'rabid obessed Sherlock fan', but I still wasn't a Benedict fan.

This winter, I worked my way through a series of movies I'd been wanting to watch for a while. Started with "The Whistleblower", in which there's this guy who does a really bad American accent. Oh, there's Sherlock again. Okay. Next on my list was "August Osage: County". That blonde dude with the dubious American accent looks fam... hey, is Benedict Cumberbatch in everything?! And then I cued up "12 Years a Slave" and... there he is again. The universe must be telling me something. Wow, this guy is so good, he completely blends into his characters, I must see more.

And then I worked my way through just about his entire filmography, discovering one amazing project after another. I think Wreckers is the only thing I wouldn't have bothered getting through if it wasn't for him. From Stuart: a Life Backwards to Third Star, passing by Starter For 10 and Tinker Tailor, Soldier Spy, never mind A:OC and 12YAS, he shows a consistency for choosing wonderful projects and completely immersing himself in his roles. He's really, really, really good actor.

I only started to appreciate him, ahem, physically when I started seeing him with his natural hair colour. Tall hungry-looking dude with light hair, beautiful cheekbones, and piercing blue-grey eyes describes my type, and most of my ex-boyfriends, perfectly. Good thing Sherlock has dark hair, or I'd be distracted when season 4 finally rolls around.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

May 11, 2014 5:51 pm  #2

Re: When did you first notice Benedict?

First film with Benedict which I saw was "War horse". I didn't even know that Ben was playing in it (at that time I didn't even know that he existed), I watched it becasue it was Spielberg film and Tom Hiddlestone was playing in it. After film, I watched some interviews about it and found out that that most people were interested not only in Hiddlestone but also in that "funny man with long face" as I called him. Still I had no idea who he was so I soon forgot him. About year later I saw "August Osage County" and when I saw him I thought "O, that's this actor with long face from War Horse" but I still didn't bother to check who he was.

Some time later, I was laying very ill on my sofa and watching tv to kill time. I noticed episode of Sherlock ( I found later that it was Scandal in Belgravia) and started to watch it because I wanted to know why all people I know and whole Internet were so crazy about it. My first thoughts after watching this episode were (in order) : "Wow that was very interesting and funny, I want to watch more. That music was brilliant, I want to watch more. Who the hell was this handsome main character, I definitely want to watch more!". I checked on the Internet who was this actor who played Sherlock and I was absolutely shocked when I found out that Sherlock was actually "this funny man with long face".

And so it began. I watched all 3 series of Sherlock, then I watched most of Ben's films. Step by step I start to like him very much and appreciate him beacuse he turned out to be an excellent actor and great human being. 

That's my story, the end.

Last edited by MartaSt (May 11, 2014 5:52 pm)

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

May 11, 2014 6:41 pm  #3

I haven't made it through War Horse yet! It's the only one of his projects that I want to see that I have left on my list. Every time I start it, I go, meh, and put something else on. I wonder if I'll ever get through it.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

May 11, 2014 6:58 pm  #4

maryagrawatson wrote:

I haven't made it through War Horse yet! It's the only one of his projects that I want to see that I have left on my list. Every time I start it, I go, meh, and put something else on. I wonder if I'll ever get through it.

Mary

Well it was good film but to me it was a little bit too naive. But Benedict and Tom were great and horses were beautiful

I haven't seen Burlesque Fairytales yet because I can't find it anywhere. And I still can't forgive myself that I missed Frankenstein when it was on theater.

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

May 11, 2014 7:15 pm  #5

Here´s another thread about this topic:

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=4874

Last edited by Zatoichi (May 11, 2014 7:16 pm)

Board footera