BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 10, 2014 9:04 pm  #41

Re: John and Sherlock Drunk

I´m surprised that Sherlock being drunk once, involuntarily, developed to such an issue here. Isn´t England the country with a long tradition of weekend pub crawls? Where men like Winston Churchill, a stong drinker, were successful politicians and it didn´t hurt their reputation the least?  As for Sherlock being not in his best form while solving cases – he was in a much worse state in Jeremy Brett´s version and he still successfully solved his case:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vipgpbtg4xY And because his clients are polite Englishmen, they probably didn´t mention his slight „indisposition“ to anybody. 

Last edited by nakahara (May 10, 2014 9:05 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 10, 2014 9:26 pm  #42

I think the issue is not just about Sherlock simply being drunk but about all the implications of these scenes. You sometimes cannot believe they did not read some of the relevant fanfics. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 10, 2014 9:33 pm  #43

Yes, they should do their research. 

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 10, 2014 9:37 pm  #44

Oh, I think they did (even if they would never admit it). They just should have left Tessa out of the picture, then it would have been even more obvious,

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 10, 2014 9:39 pm  #45

Yes. She came definitely in the wrong moment. As did Mrs Hudson in ASiB, by the way (at least this is
what Irene must have thought).

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 10, 2014 9:43 pm  #46

They must invest to two good locks and keys and lock both doors next time, to stop the constant interference  

May 10, 2014 9:51 pm  #47

Yes, anyone can just come and go... like Lestrade at the beginning of ASiP. This must definitely stop. Okay, first John has to move into 221B again, then the locks and keys.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

May 10, 2014 10:09 pm  #48

Yes, definitely in that order 

May 11, 2014 2:24 am  #49

SolarSystem wrote:

Yes, anyone can just come and go... like Lestrade at the beginning of ASiP. This must definitely stop. Okay, first John has to move into 221B again, then the locks and keys.

Followed next by whips and chains.

Oh crap.
Said that out loud.

*crawls back to corner*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 11, 2014 9:20 am  #50

Wouldn't it be boring if you didn't say things like that out loud...?

May 11, 2014 9:22 am  #51

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 13, 2014 10:32 pm  #52

Even reading saucy fan-fics makes me nervous because they have no locks on their doors.  Folks just come and go at random.

May 13, 2014 10:43 pm  #53

"...The vomiting scene, while revolting, gets a chuckle for the prim way Sherlock wipes his mouth after. And it's probably clear from my signature that clueing for looks is my new favourite expression. ...."

Let's zoom in for a close-up:

http://welovethebeekeeper.tumblr.com/post/85422519933/channybatch-lets-not-be-subtle-here-this-was

May 13, 2014 10:55 pm  #54

JNinSoCal wrote:

Let's zoom in for a close-up:

Ew. And I'm not into 'JohnLock', so I think the caption to that picture stole my innocence.

(Having watch so much of Benedict's filmography, I've determined that he is not only very good at crying on command but that he is very good at vomiting realistically. Wonder if that features prominently on his resume?)

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

November 3, 2014 12:43 pm  #55

November 3, 2014 1:21 pm  #56

Good one!   The funny thing is, I think he could have got away with saying that.  Everyone would just have laughed and wondered!

November 3, 2014 1:32 pm  #57

How much would we all love to read Ben's resume.   *giggle*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 12, 2014 12:34 pm  #58

I didn't worry at all about getting Sherlock drunk. He's not an alcoholic, so getting shitfaced for one evening wouldn't be worse for him than anyone else.

Love the stag night scene, insanely funny! "Clueing for looks", I lose it every time.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 26, 2015 6:43 pm  #59

443.7 millilitres…
I've always found this particular number particularly striking, and after thinking about it for a while (the universe is never so lazy…) I made a funny - of course completely useless - observation.

The simple division exercise:

443.7 : 2 = 221.85

made me translate the result into

443.7 is twice 221.B (sort of)

which, of course, has to mean nothing else but Sherlock's unspoken wish of him and John being - and staying! -together in 221B – a manifestation clearly visible in each of the boys' glasses.
"There's a double reminder – twice 221B – in your glass, John, which I scientifically worked out to be the best for you (and me). But, of course, as ever you see but don't observe…"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 26, 2015 6:57 pm  #60

Oh Tobe, I love that idea!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

Board footera