BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 8, 2014 10:17 pm  #101

Re: John Watson in S4

SusiGo wrote:

And to quote Moffat (not brand new, I know):

What Mark and I say on every single occasion that people can’t stop us is that it’s not a detective show—it’s a show about a detective. 
There’s plenty of detection in it, but that’s not what it’s about. 
It’s about the hero.”

LOL You know what that means? 

John isn't safe either. After all, the show is about a detective and it's called Sherlock.

Let's all let that sink in for a minute.

*runs away really fast, evilly laughing*  

Last edited by LoveIsAViciousMotivator (May 8, 2014 10:27 pm)

May 8, 2014 10:40 pm  #102

Not if you look at the first part of the quote:Q: "How much of Sherlock is about solving crime, and how much of it is about the relationship between the two guys?"Moffat: "The fascinating thing about the Sherlock Holmes stories if you go back to the original, they’re fascinatingly, weirdly paced, because the opening few pages of every single story – and it’s the best bit – are just Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson chatting by the fireside, and eventually someone will turn up and they go off and have a case but what upstages everything is those two characters all the time."

May 8, 2014 11:12 pm  #103

Darn! I thought I figured out what will happen to John in Series 4. XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

May 9, 2014 6:44 pm  #104

The Watson family and their quirky friend Sherlocks awkward and embaressing social moments..oh lol..and wow look what silly adventures he drags us into......

Uh! No thanks...sounds like a hundred and one other programs and how very mundane!

Watson and Holmes are two bachelors behaving badly and getting into dangerous and wacky adventures..while finding amusement sticking up two fingers to societal norms like manners and social status..and hypocritical happily married cheating people.

I want to see Watson reclaim  his balls in series 4..and stop this ridiculous ..borrowing him...checking if he is free with Mary business.

I think the writers even said something similar about ...at one point it was almost like Holmes was asking permission for Watson to come out and play..it was ridiculous...
They thought it was amusing so they put it in...they won't repeat the joke.

John@Mary are practically done....bar the end.Married John will be sooooo last series.
Bad ass ...re balled ..fully loaded..not doormat ..lesson learnt...cherchez la femme.. John will return.As almost everyone wants.
Anything else would be disrespectful of the canon characters.

May 9, 2014 6:54 pm  #105

lil wrote:

The Watson family and their quirky friend Sherlocks awkward and embaressing social moments..oh lol..and wow look what silly adventures he drags us into......

Uh! No thanks...sounds like a hundred and one other programs and how very mundane!

Watson and Holmes are two bachelors behaving badly and getting into dangerous and wacky adventures..while finding amusement sticking up two fingers to societal norms like manners and social status..and hypocritical happily married cheating people.

I want to see Watson reclaim his balls in series 4..and stop this ridiculous ..borrowing him...checking if he is free with Mary business.

I think the writers even said something similar about ...at one point it was almost like Holmes was asking permission for Watson to come out and play..it was ridiculous...
They thought it was amusing so they put it in...they won't repeat the joke.

John@Mary are practically done....bar the end.Married John will be sooooo last series.
Bad ass ...re balled ..fully loaded..not doormat ..lesson learnt...cherchez la femme.. John will return.As almost everyone wants.
Anything else would be disrespectful of the canon characters.

I rather do like the idea of John reclaiming his..err... spheres. 

May 9, 2014 7:03 pm  #106

May 9, 2014 11:13 pm  #107

Yeah, I agree with you there. 

There were a couple of moments in canon where Holmes has to ask if Watson can come out to play. Mary always says yes, of course, because in canon, like in Sherlock, she seems to approve of their friendship together. 

But their relationship doesn't last long at all, and I don't think it will last very long in Sherlock either. We'll get the old John back, don't you worry, guys. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 14, 2014 2:40 am  #108

I would really love to see Sherlock and John back in partnership for new cases...
Sherlock and John sharing good times...
Sherlock and John together, happy  and aware of the love they feel for each other.
I ship johnlock 

June 14, 2014 3:19 am  #109

I'd really, really love to see Sherlock and John back together-- and I worry that we'll have to wait at least a season to see that happen. 

June 14, 2014 7:05 am  #110

Though Sherlockians are nothing if not patient!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 16, 2014 8:26 pm  #111

LoveIsAViciousMotivator wrote:

You know what? This is one thing that I enjoyed seeing in Series 3 despite my intital feelings at first. We see things about John that are shown in ASiP, but soon are ignored or forgotten about. I know John is abit more ordinary than Sherlock, but there was one thing they had in common: their addiction to danger. In Series 1 and 2, John pretends to be as normal as the rest of the people, but in fact, he is just like Sherlock in certain aspects. He doesn't trust easily nor does he make friends easy too. The only thing that made him drawn to Sherlock in the first place was Sherlock giving him what he sought, and that was the craving for danger. If they didn't have that addiction, I bet John would have left Sherlock years ago. XD That is the thing that got them together.

I see alot of people going like : John is going to leave Mary and get back with Sherlock and go to 221b. Their domestic bliss.

No, John isn't. He will stay with Mary. Why? Because unlike his other girlfriends, she is dangerous like him and would bring all the danger he wants. It won't be just the baby that keeps him there. It is Mary and the danger she brings. She shot sherlock? Oh yes, he will never forget she did that, but he wouldn't leave her just like how he put up with Sherlock's moods, emotional manipulation, and drugging him, he will stay because of his cravings, which is quite disturbing. 

I don't like Sherlock pointing out that John knew about Mary subconsciously, but I like to look at that scene as John being called out for his own attitude and that he is no better than Sherlock or Mary. 

I'm not saying that John doesn't love Sherlock and Mary. He does. He just can't shake off his addiction and hopefully, in Series 4, he realizes this and becomes better.

Late to the party. But i like to comment on this.

Knowing how great chemistry John can have with someone, it really is so odd that he have none with Mary. Like really none. They make jokes, but they look more like colleagues than a couple who know eachother just for one year. There is no sparkle in John eyes when he talks to Mary, no deep emotions behind his jokes to her. The only time i see a sparkle is when he hears that Mary will have a baby. This is not bad acting, as we know how great chemstry Martin has with Amanda both themselves in interviews or in the other films they acted togheter. It must be wanted by the directors of the film, is not a fluke.

I think that he was very hurt after Sherlock's supposed dead. He has already issues, a lot, his trust issues, his PTSD (one should really not forget what PTSD is - his anger can come a lot from it - and we are told by his nightmare at the beginning of HLW that he still has it). Think about: a man going for three years in war, getting all the danger, the adrenaline, saving lifes, doing something in which he believes. And now he is wounded and on an army pension, feeling useless and with nothing to do. With Sherlock he finds a new meaning to his life. And all of a sudden, the person he cared for the most kills himself under his eyes with the reputation shattered on top of that. Now he has to adjust once again and he tries to adjust to a normal life, without danger, without adrenaline, just living. Is he happy? I don't think so. When he says to Ms. Hudson that he will marry, he is not showing hapiness. Mary is for him more a help to survive the normality, not at all to bring him a dangerous life back - we don't see that at all between them. He even says "she was not supposed to be like that". Yes, he would need a very strong woman at his side to support him through all his grief and anger and sadness, but he was not looking for a dangerous person. Mary drives him to the den, but there he goes alone and he decided alone to go there, they are not a team, she is not the one sending him, no sign that she gives him a dangerous life.

Even when he knows she is a dangerous person, he is not happier with her. Their discussion at Christmas is not at all of a couple who put behind them their problems. I get more the impression that he puts back any discussion actually but throwing the data stick into the fire and i think he does that only for the sake of the baby. He doesn't ask anything, he come with prepared words, how is that a discussion to solve their problems?  He give the impression that he has not forgiven Mary at all actually, so how can Mary take the place of Sherlock? I don't see how John is now trusting her, he did in the past, he has told her more from his past as he told Sherlock - but Sherlock might never asked about it (John is very surprised when Sherlock asks about Major S.), but now there are months gone before he tries to speak to her and everybody thinks now that he had forgiven her and now are like a team? I cannot buy it, i cannot see it, there is nothing for me i can tell that he trust her now. 

Mary hasn't shown to John that she is dangerous from the beginning - look at Irene with Sherlock, their relationship screamed DANGER all over it. But John with Mary? Is all normality, at work, at restaurant, at theri home. So i don't buy what Sherlock tell to John, Sherlock might know some things that John don't and just gives him this simple explanation. 

About the dangerous life addiction. Apart from the den story, we actually see John very anchored in the normal life. While Sherlock shoot the walls, screams and is craving for something to take the place of the action, John is sitting patiently and can wait. He can keep himself under check as to believe is just a simple addiction for which he would do anything like throwing away his moral principles on the window. When he goes to the den, he goes to save someone, when he sprain the arm of Billy, he does after he is showing his knife. 

With his trust issues, after being lied by the persons who cared most, Sherlock and Mary, after feeling that he was not trusted by them to be told the truth (a slap on the face for all loyal persons, any loyal person would be very hurt because of lack of trust), is no wonder that he shuts himself even more as he was. He develops further - but not in a good direction for himself. He reverts more to an inner life, that is way it is more to be read on his face than on his words  - one need really to watch it to assert John in S3. If looks could kill, Mary would be dead at the look John threw to her after Sherlock collapsed in 221b.

July 17, 2014 7:25 am  #112

A lovely light wrote:

Knowing how great chemistry John can have with someone, it really is so odd that he have none with Mary. Like really none. They make jokes, but they look more like colleagues than a couple who know eachother just for one year. There is no sparkle in John eyes when he talks to Mary, no deep emotions behind his jokes to her. The only time i see a sparkle is when he hears that Mary will have a baby. This is not bad acting, as we know how great chemstry Martin has with Amanda both themselves in interviews or in the other films they acted togheter. It must be wanted by the directors of the film, is not a fluke.

This!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 17, 2014 7:50 am  #113

I certainly feel John was looking for a wife and possibly kids(dunno on that one), whether or not he made the right choice, time will tell...
But I really am currently puzzled by peoples reactions  to John and Mary's relationship.
I could understand more the possibility that Mary is a plant and she's acting...though I'm not convinced on that.
But what are we really saying?  They are engaged in loveless sex, John feels trapped or what?...I don't really get it.
I think we also have to consider what they can fit in a 90 min episode...it's not about John and Mary so you know, maybe we have to use a little imagination and join the dots.
They're married, expecting a child and despite everything John has currently chosen to stay with Mary.
Do we think John is so damaged he's not thinking straight?
Do couples have to conform to a stereotype?
I don't want endless snuggly John and Mary shots...I'm watching for Sherlock.
They aren't the average couple, after all.

Last edited by besleybean (July 17, 2014 7:57 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 17, 2014 8:29 am  #114

I am convinced that Mary really loves John .She is not defending just a suitable way of life, but her and John's relationship. The only spark and flirting we see in the relationship comes from her. But John? 

Look, you don't need too much time to show that a person loves other one. We get that Molly really loves Sherlock in a minute, that Irene admires Sherlock in a scene. But Mary with John looks like a couple married for 20 years, comfortable with each other, supportive to each other, but no flame there. It takes a load of imagination from me to see it other way. They gave a lot of time to the wedding, did John look happy like someone at his wedding normally looks? I don't need endlessly shots with kissing or cuddle, to assert if a relationship looks happy or not. The way they react to each other, the chemistry between two persons come from the normal discussion enough. And in the case of Mary and John it doesn't come for me. 

Take what you want from this relationship. there is no recipe for it. If you think that this kind of relationship is enough to make someone (or John in this situation) long-term happy, is ok - i am aware that many marriages functions on a spare flame. For me it doesn't work in the case of John. Knowing how John is deep involved in a friendship, how much energy he brings for it, it is kind of surprising that he is not like that in his relationship with the woman he marries. It just makes me wonder if Mary is really the woman with each John would live till he is old...

July 17, 2014 9:58 am  #115

" Shut up or I'll marry you" is about as flirty as John gets.  Maybe he's not like that.  He's got what he wants and is content with it...some men are like that. And honestly we are not talking abiout giggling youngsters here, they are both in their mid-late 30s..and they both have issues!
Yes but Molly is chasing Sherlock, we come in when John and Mary are already living together...or at least together..and Molly hasn't quite been through what either John or Mary have.
Goodness, do people expect all to be Hollywood romances?
But John was conspiratorial with Mary over not letting him hug Sherlock, he reacted to her response about CAM, he defends her against Sherlock...I don't know what people want.
I honestly have no idea what the writers intend for John and Mary and their relationship...maybe the whole marriage will be shown to be a total sham, I don't know. 
But at the moment, for me, it seems Canon and it works...

July 17, 2014 7:38 pm  #116

There was a very interesting analysis of the wedding pics on tumblr. I will look for the link later, not sure I'll find it.
Psychologists like looking at family portraits because they tell so much about the relationship of the people shown. People who feel affection for each other usually tilt their heads towards each other. The way Martin and Amanda do very often in real life, BTW.
Well, John and Mary don't. They both stand upright, a rather unusual pose for a wedding pic. Now, taking into account that the actors usually stand in a different way, it had to be done that way on purpose.

Just one little hint at a marriage that is not exactly happy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 17, 2014 7:43 pm  #117

You mean apart from an unintended pregnancy, your wife lying about her past and shooting your best freind?! Ha.

July 17, 2014 7:56 pm  #118

But the interesting thing is that they took the wedding pics BEFORE all this happened. And yet they do not show the body language of a happy couple. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 17, 2014 7:57 pm  #119

Time will tell, I guess.

July 17, 2014 7:58 pm  #120

A lovely light wrote:

Look, you don't need too much time to show that a person loves other one.

Exactly. And you don't need to see them hugging and kissing in every second scene. If you want the audience to feel the chemistry between two people in a show like Sherlock, well, you have to write for the characters in the way that Mofftiss write for Sherlock and John. There is chemistry between the two of them from the very first scene on forward.
And apart from that (and we've had this before in other threads), I felt more chemistry between John and Sarah than I feel between John and Mary.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera