BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 7, 2014 5:24 am  #61

Re: Fargo Discussion (WITH SPOILERS)

Oh my goodness….  I don't want to say too much til after the other side of the pond gets to see (thankfully just a few days difference!)    But aside from minor frustration still with incompetence, tonight's sure had a bunch more (funny) 'cripes!' moments, huh?  That ending!!  (and the icepick scene, straight from the movie!!)    Anyone else love it?
But everyone else generally have frustrated sympathy towards Molly and Gus Grimly being trapped by the surrounding incompetence?  I keep waiting for them to get a break.  (although it would be typical tv for it to only happen, or with a twist, much further along)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 7, 2014 12:28 pm  #62

Aw man!.  More than likely won't get to watch until the weekend.  Hubby works nights and we like to watch certain things together so we record them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 7, 2014 4:18 pm  #63

Only a few days!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 7, 2014 5:58 pm  #64

Ahh, okay!   Wasn't sure if you watched it sooner than that.  But totally get the 'watching together' thing.    My lips are sealed.
Man, I just can't wait to be able to titter over Lester's particular storyline/ending shot with you guys!     I forget… only a few of you had seen the movie, right?  The 'nods' to same characters and places was one thing, but awesome bit taken straight out of it, crossed-over, last night… thought maybe could mention, if unfamiliar.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

May 7, 2014 9:36 pm  #65

GAHHH, I love this show so much. I don't know why I have so much sympathy for the bad guys though. Like, Lorne is amazing. I wish he was my Uncle or something. And I want Lester to get away with it for as long as he possibly can. 

But having said that, I like the good guys too. Gus and Molly are both really great characters. 

In fact, the entire show is littered with great characters. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 7, 2014 9:45 pm  #66

Watched episode 1x04 tonight. Gosh, this show constantly blows my mind. In a good way. I really like how f**ked up the story is. And Billy Bob T. is fanstatic. I also have a soft spot for Colin Hanks. And I agree, all the characters are great. And Lester is just one coincidentally lucky SOB. All I'm saying is... car boot (or rather trunk in this case).

May 8, 2014 1:31 am  #67

I didn't really love last night's episode, but I was very pleased that my theory regarding where the Supermarket King got his money turned out to be correct.  And I did love how Lester's plan backfired.  The final shot of the episode was delightful.

May 8, 2014 3:58 am  #68

Yes!      Ha…  ending shot was perfect.  Coincidentally lucky/not-so-lucky SOB?    My friend and I laughed out loud at the dual moments of his luck/un-luck.  And Billy Bob continues to delightfully creep me with his mannerisms, as messed up as he is.  Nice touch with the money, huh?  They had already teased it previously with logo/stylized image of an ice pick in the King's office, but so neat to tie in like that.  So does that mean the events of the movie exist in the same world? 

May 8, 2014 5:31 am  #69

Feck I never even KNEW about Colin Hanks.
But as soon as it was mentioned above I was like: oh, is he Tom's brother? Cos they are so alike.
Oh heck yes, he's fab.

Last edited by besleybean (May 8, 2014 5:32 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 8, 2014 7:58 am  #70

Colin is Tom's son. I first saw him when he was on Roswell, over ten years ago now. I've seen him on and off in other things.

What I also love about the TV show is that it has a definite cinematic feel to it -- from the string crescendo that plays over the title theme to the fact that often they take their time to linger on wide angle shots.

May 8, 2014 3:48 pm  #71

Oh sorry, I went by wiki!

May 9, 2014 4:40 pm  #72

Agree about the cinematic feel to the series. Always a good sign.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 9, 2014 11:17 pm  #73

I don't really remember what happened in the movie. It's been literally years since I've seen it. Was the icepick/money scene a direct nod to it?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 10, 2014 8:14 am  #74

I never saw the movie, but I would like to now!

May 10, 2014 10:00 am  #75

BB- the movie is awesome- see it!
What is going on with all the biblical plague stuff?  I find the conceptualisation of good and evil fascinating in the show and have been having some good arguments/discussions with my husband about it.  I see Lorne as a Satan figure- he seduces the weak, like Lester to the dark side.  But then does he have sort of moral code? 
I love how Molly and Gus are incorruptably good- I hope they stay that way (and also stay alive)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

May 10, 2014 10:13 am  #76

Well Gus acted to protect his daughter, but yes...

May 12, 2014 9:40 am  #77

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I don't really remember what happened in the movie. It's been literally years since I've seen it. Was the icepick/money scene a direct nod to it? 

Yes!  That's why we found it such a hilarious twist/choice of background element for that scene, making you wonder if both versions exist in the same universe.    This isn't too much of a spoiler, to simply say where it shows up in the movie without the whole story, right?  You still might enjoy seeing it again, with all the tone/character similarities, regardless.

Icepick spoiler? --     
One of the criminal duo in the movie gets his hands on the briefcase of money and decides he needs to bury it.  Being in his car on a long, empty stretch of snowy road, he treks over to the nearby fence with his icepick to dig a hole and buries it.  Then realizes the fence/road/snow goes on forever with no landmarks (much like a certain other scene), so… nothing can do except stick the red-handled icepick up on the spot to mark for later.        ….Which is where Stavros finds it (and God) years later…?      And yeah, NotYour!  Really playing with that theme, with the blood, crickets/animals, and subtle comments, with him and Lorne being on 'opposite' sides, huh?  Found it intriguing, too.  And a little humorously unnerving, when I looked up what all the plagues were, again.  What's next…. frogs, and the house catching fire?   

May 12, 2014 1:21 pm  #78

Russell wrote:

Ahh, okay! Wasn't sure if you watched it sooner than that. But totally get the 'watching together' thing. My lips are sealed.
Man, I just can't wait to be able to titter over Lester's particular storyline/ending shot with you guys! I forget… only a few of you had seen the movie, right? The 'nods' to same characters and places was one thing, but awesome bit taken straight out of it, crossed-over, last night… thought maybe could mention, if unfamiliar.

No worries Russell!  This thread is marked for Spoilers so it's up to me to be a good girl and not pop in until I've seen the epsiode.    Which I did last night!
Laughed my a** off when I saw that ice scrapper sticking up out of the snow.  The movie is one of my all time favorites so I immediately knew where they were going.  Wonderful little twist!

It may be kinda wrong but I want Lester to get a way with it too!  Well, maybe not completely but I certainly don't want him to die!!!!   The scene where he's trying to get the cop to give him a ride and then punches him so he can get arrested.  I was rolling. 

Lorne is a special kind of evil but he is fascinating!  I would love to have more backstory on him but I'm sure they want to leave him as mysterious as possible.

If they pick Fargo up for a second season I will continue watching but they are setting the bar very high for what ever comes next.  It's like I feel about True Detective.  I will also miss Martin and Billy Bob. 

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 12, 2014 4:10 pm  #79

Who laughed at the end, when the two guys walked in?!

May 12, 2014 5:16 pm  #80

*raises hand*
Me
I laughed a lot.     Poor Lester.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

Board footera