BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 5, 2014 9:14 am  #41

Re: The Hollow Crown: The Wars of the Roses (was "Richard III")

All the more reason to read them before watching it, because if they're not an easy read it'll probably also be difficult to follow the films without any knowledge about what's going on.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 5, 2014 9:18 am  #42

Yes. It is about complicated family relationships and civil war and all women have the same names. 
A dear friend of mine has written some novels about this and told me quite a lot about it. But you are right and I will try my best as well. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 5, 2014 9:23 am  #43

So what do you recommend to read then?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

May 5, 2014 9:26 am  #44

I'd start with the plays, gently. Maybe first in German, then in English.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

May 5, 2014 9:33 am  #45

Yes. And maybe read something on Wikipedia about the background and the most important characters. If you know what the Wars of the Roses were about, you will understand the plays much better. 

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenkriege

Last edited by SusiGo (May 5, 2014 9:34 am)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 5, 2014 9:40 am  #46

I don't even need to leave my house for that!
My husband is from Lancashire and I am from Yorkshire!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 5, 2014 9:42 am  #47

And in general, there's lots and lots of secondary literature around about all the plays, the characters... "Who's who bei Shakespeare" (German) for example gives a nice overview over all the important characters in his plays. 

May 5, 2014 9:47 am  #48

besleybean wrote:

I don't even need to leave my house for that!
My husband is from Lancashire and I am from Yorkshire!

May 5, 2014 12:03 pm  #49

If you feel like some serious homework, I highly reccomend Issac Asimov's Guide to Shakespeare. 

http://www.amazon.com/ASIMOVS-GUIDE-SHAKESPEARE-ITALIAN-Complete/dp/B00165SCV2/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1399291142&sr=1-2&keywords=isaac+asimov+shakespeare

It's a fantastic resourse.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 5, 2014 2:42 pm  #50

It's funny having been born and raised in England and fed this culture and history...you forget others haven't had the same advantage!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 5, 2014 3:13 pm  #51

Besley, I hope you and your Husband don't go to those reenactment society things - could prove awkward!!;)

Am currently watching The Hollow Crown - I loved Richard II, and I've just finished Henry IV part one, which I wasn't quite as keen on, but the casting is excellent so I'm really excited about what they'll do with the next instalment.
I notice the original series wasn't particularly faithful to hairstyles etc., (Tom Hiddledtone's for instance is nothing like the style that Henry V is depicted as having), so I'm curious as to how Benedict will look as Richard.
I really enjoyed reading the play but it is very cruel in it's portrayal of King Richard - I'm so excited to see this; I just wish we didn't have so long to wait!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

May 5, 2014 3:26 pm  #52

My daughter is the member of a reenactment group, but a Medieval Scottish one!
Oh God The Hollow Crown was so good, can't WAIT for the next one.
Yep, Richard II is fab.

May 5, 2014 3:49 pm  #53

Yes, it was excellent. I think 2H4 was the weakest part but then the play is not that good. Still, I liked to watch it for the actors who are brilliant. And it is interesting to see Hal's development from dissolute prince to king. Maybe we will see a bit of that in Richard III, too. And I would not mind if they went for a not quite so faithfuly hairstyle. 

May 5, 2014 5:05 pm  #54

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, it was excellent. I think 2H4 was the weakest part but then the play is not that good. Still, I liked to watch it for the actors who are brilliant. And it is interesting to see Hal's development from dissolute prince to king. Maybe we will see a bit of that in Richard III, too. And I would not mind if they went for a not quite so faithfuly hairstyle. 

I'm so shallow, so I'll admit that I wouldn't mind if they just gave the clothes Tom wore as Henry to Benedict - Tom looked fab in them and so would Benedict.

May 5, 2014 5:13 pm  #55

Yes, the red leather thing looked gorgeous. 

May 5, 2014 5:16 pm  #56

Oh YES, the red leather thing...

May 5, 2014 6:49 pm  #57

I can't wait to see this. Hollow Crown was briliant and St. Crispen's Day Speech in Henry V was so well played by Tom with his full of emotions and brave tone (altough Kenneth Branagh version was magnificent too). I love this speach so much that I even learned it by heart

besleybean wrote:

It's funny having been born and raised in England and fed this culture and history...you forget others haven't had the same advantage!

I envy you sometimes because Shakespeare is magnificent poet and yet in my country he is not that much popular that sometimes it's hard to get his less famous plays. In my country there is lots of great poets but I think none of them is so famous around the world like Shakespeare.

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

May 5, 2014 6:53 pm  #58

I am glad that in Germany Shakespeare is very popular and has been for centuries. So we get to see quite a lot of productions and more or less all films are available. Near the place where I am living there is even a modern copy of the Globe theatre where they have a Shakespeare Festival each summer. 

We few, we happy few … 

May 5, 2014 9:32 pm  #59

SusiGo wrote:

I am glad that in Germany Shakespeare is very popular and has been for centuries. So we get to see quite a lot of productions and more or less all films are available. Near the place where I am living there is even a modern copy of the Globe theatre where they have a Shakespeare Festival each summer. 

We few, we happy few … 

That's wonderful Susi!  Have you ever been?  I've only been to one Shakespeare festival but what a week that was!  Saw 2 or 3 plays a day for 6 days.  Thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

Here in Atlanta, Georgia we have a wonderful place downtown called Shakespeare's Tavern where they do dinner theatre.  No huge budgets but they do get some quality talent.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 30, 2014 6:36 am  #60

So they start filming in late September! And although in the first part of Henry VI Richard will be played by a younger actor (but it is a very minor part there, in any case) we will still have him in two films, hurrah!    

Last edited by miriel68 (May 30, 2014 6:36 am)

Board footera