BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 1, 2012 5:13 pm  #1

The Rattigan Enigma

Should playwright Terence Rattigan, who died in 1977, be remembered as a middle-brow crowd-pleaser or an understated genius?

For decades he was derided as the former, his reputation shot down by the angry young men of the late 1950s, but the centenary of his birth this year has seen quite a comeback. With successful revivals everywhere, critics and audiences have fallen back in love with his work. Here Benedict Cumberbatch (star of the National Theatre's 2010 revival of After the Dance) retells his extraordinary story.

It's simply but evocatively done, with fascinating snapshots of the postwar theatrical world and the debonair playwright's social circle - of whom we meet a few. We also see glimpses of a new film of The Deep Blue Sea that's in production and hear from David Hare, who reckons that Rattigan's plays are all about "the impossibility of escaping who you are".

About this programme

Sherlock star Benedict Cumberbatch celebrates the work of Terence Rattigan, author of plays including The Browning Version and The Deep Blue Sea. The actor challenges the belief that Rattigan's dramas are too safe and conventional, and explores the ways in which his views of 20th-century society can still resonate strongly with contemporary audiences. He also discovers the issues the writer confronted in his plays were often ones he struggled to deal with in his own life.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 11, 2012 11:07 am  #2

Re: The Rattigan Enigma

I just watched all four parts and found it highly interesting - the biography of Rattigan as well as, er, the presenter.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 17, 2012 6:41 pm  #3

I wasn't really interested in Rattigan but I watched it for Benedict. What a peculiar school he went to! But Babybatch was really cute..

Edit: Oh, and also the documentary was pretty well done. ;)

Last edited by Sammy (July 17, 2012 6:43 pm)

July 17, 2012 7:13 pm  #4

And don't know any of Rattigan's plays but "Ross". It wasn't mentioned although it's quite interesting as it deals with the last year in the life of T.W. Lawrence, the famous Lawrence of Arabia. He lived as a common soldier under a false name in the army and didn't want to be associated with his former life as a hero of the desert. He was probably homosexual and masochistic and it's quite interesting that Rattigan wrote this play about him. I was surprised they didn't mention it in the documentary.
As for the school: the boyfriend of a friend of mine went to Eton and we visited him there. It was a totally strange world, something you don't get anywhere but in England. They had to wear their uniforms when going into town and always had to put on a waistcoat, no matter what colour and design, but waistcoat it had to be. Usually visitors are not allowed in the school buildings but he took us there and the boys were quite excited to have real girls there . They drank quite much I remember but had to study very hard as well.
As for Benedict: that's what I really like about the documentary. There's so much of him in it and quite personal views as well.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 7, 2012 4:48 pm  #5

I so enjoyed this documentary.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 7, 2012 5:47 pm  #6

For anyone interested in the life of T.E.Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia) I would recommend his autobiographical work 'The Seven Pillars of Wisdom'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 7, 2012 5:53 pm  #7

I've been to his house!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 7, 2012 6:00 pm  #8

Oh you lucky thing. Despite his weaknesses/faults he is a man for whom I have a lot of admiration.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 7, 2012 6:04 pm  #9

I find his story incredibly moving.

April 17, 2014 7:47 pm  #10

I watched it today. Amazing what I already learned or started to be interested in because of Benedict.
To find out something about Benedict's time at school or his first acting experiences and influences in this documentary connected with the life story of Rattingan was really interesting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

May 3, 2014 9:09 pm  #11

I watched this on Youtube a while ago. I didn't know anything about Rattigan or his plays so I found it really interesting and I loved the part where BC goes to Harrow and we see pictures of him. I love BC presenting this documentary

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

May 3, 2014 9:10 pm  #12

Yep.it was fascinating and he did it well.

Board footera