BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 2, 2014 1:03 am  #1

About Toby Haynes

I really enjoyed the way he directed “Reichenbach.” In my opinion he had a style that was just as good as Paul McGuigan’s.

I thought the visuals involving the newspaper headlines were clever as it captured the general theme of the episode, which is about fame. I also loved the use of music such Rossini’s “The Thieving Magpie” being played when Moriarty tries to steal the crown jewels as well as hearing the song “Sinnerman” during the period where he is being arrested and charged. His style also is what helped make the episode so surreal as it was filled with such intensity.

I wouldn’t mind seeing him direct another episode in this series. However, considering that Doctor Who is coming back (which what he is known best for directing), we probably won’t be seeing making another one anytime soon.

May 2, 2014 11:57 am  #2

Re: About Toby Haynes

I completely agree with you there. He has a very beautiful and distinct style of directing! TRF is a true piece of art as far as I'm concerned.
I also loved how they used "Sinnerman" for the arrest and pretrial scenes. I keep saying Reichenbach has a very distinct rythm that lasts almost all through the episode, it kind of swings , only coming to an abrupt end when Sherlock is standing on the rooftop about to jump.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

Board footera