BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 30, 2014 5:25 am  #1

"I don't have friends" Possible effect of the Fear and Stimulus?

It's just a random thought I had, but Sherlock was clearly affected by the fog when he said that to John.  In the first two series of Sherlock, he is gradually discovering his humanity.  Part of the discovery is realizing that he is capable of caring very deeply about others (John, Molly, Mrs. Hudson, Lestrade) and they truly care for him.  In TBB, Sherlock seems very hesitant to take the case from the guy he had known at school.  It is hinted that perhaps Sherlock's deductions had rubbed people the wrong way, and he was isolated because of it.
Maybe he was afraid that he was alone in the world.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

April 30, 2014 7:07 am  #2

Re: "I don't have friends" Possible effect of the Fear and Stimulus?

I agree - that statement was definitely made under the influence of that strange drug which intoxicated Sherlock.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 30, 2014 7:14 am  #3

josabby wrote:

In the first two series of Sherlock, he is gradually discovering his humanity.  Part of the discovery is realizing that he is capable of caring very deeply about others (John, Molly, Mrs. Hudson, Lestrade) and they truly care for him.

I also think that Sherlock discovers himself being able to care for others during S2. But does he really understand already that those people also care for him?
I think that the first time Sherlock fully understands how much he means to John is when they meet again in TEH. And if he has no idea about John's feelings until then, he surely does not know about the others'  feelings, too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

April 30, 2014 7:29 am  #4

Yes, I also see a development there. And in the course of the whole show we get hints at what the reasons for his distancing himself from feelings might have been: IMO mainly the influence of Mycroft and also the death of Redbeard. It must have hit him badly when Mycroft alludes to it about thirty years later to warn him of getting emotionally involved. And Magnussen filed it as a pressure point (how did he know about it?)
However, I wonder what his parents' role might have been. Their mother stopped working when she had children so we can suppose she was at home with them. Their father seems a loving man. So how could Mycroft become such a dominating influence in Sherlock's life? Would a small boy not turn to his parents for comfort and advice before looking at his older brother? Or did this only come later, maybe when the dog died and Sherlock realised for the first time how devastating an emotional attachment can be?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 30, 2014 7:44 am  #5

I found the scene maybe a bit less about caring for other people but a step he had to take before: realizing he had feelings at all. Fear, insecurity. Realizing his friendship with John is just the second step. But it is definetely a key scene in his emotional developement.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

April 30, 2014 7:50 am  #6

Yes, it is the first time we hear that he has indeed feelings which he only chose to suppress, probably in order to fully concentrate on his work. Under the influence of the drug he gets careless and and the suppression does not work any longer. He admits to fear and insecurity and not trusting his senses any longer. On the cemetery he is able to say the "I don't have friends" line without being drugged when realises how hurt and angry John is. 
It is one step in long development from "Will caring about them help save them?" up to "But look how you care about John Watson." 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 3, 2014 6:55 am  #7

josabby wrote:

It's just a random thought I had, but Sherlock was clearly affected by the fog when he said that to John.  In the first two series of Sherlock, he is gradually discovering his humanity.  Part of the discovery is realizing that he is capable of caring very deeply about others (John, Molly, Mrs. Hudson, Lestrade) and they truly care for him.  In TBB, Sherlock seems very hesitant to take the case from the guy he had known at school.  It is hinted that perhaps Sherlock's deductions had rubbed people the wrong way, and he was isolated because of it.
Maybe he was afraid that he was alone in the world.

I agree - he must have felt very isolated for a long time in his life, only relying on his senses and superior intellect to maintain him in a world he perceives as hostile. He had no friends, his brother is at the same time his arch-enemy and he probably lost his childhood trust in his parents after what happened to Redbeard.. so not being able to trust his senses in his special situation must be absolutely terrifying. I think it also matters that he was without John when he faced the "hound", alone like he used to be. All this long speech about him using his senses and there's nothing wrong with him, even without friends (blech) was probably just to reassure himself he is not going to lose it all.. He is still not used to having a friend around, he probably just realizes this has changed after John's hurt reaction..

Board footera