BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 30, 2014 1:43 am  #1

Hello from Baltimore, MD

In recent years, I have become a Sherlock Holmes fan ever since I watched episodes of the Granada series with Jeremy Brett. Brett had such grace and charisma. Many believe he was closest to how Conan Doyle described his master sleuth. I was in complete awe of his portrayal and continue to be. The two actors who played Watson were superb as well. David Burke came across as more fun as you could tell he was a veteran of the Afghan war. However, Edward Hardwicke was more genuine as you truly believe that he was both a doctor and a caring friend to Holmes.

That said, while Granada series will always be my favorite, BBC’s Sherlock is just as good. It does a brilliant job of infusing the old into the new with references to elements in canon as well as reinterpretations of classic stories. If Conan Doyle stories were written today this is how they might look. Cumberbatch and Freeman are great as the two leads. I believe that if Sherlock and John had been played by different actors, the series would not have worked. The first season was very good yet it was the second season where the show would reach its peak with episodes like “A Scandal in Belgravia” and the cliffhanger to end all cliffhangers, ”The Reichenbach Fall.”

That does not mean I’m an uncritical fan as this last season was my least favorite. As I liked ”The Empty Hearse” and “The Sign of Three” but disliked “His Last Vow.” Still, I’m in for the long haul. For better or for worse, I will continue to watch this series until it reaches its end.

So I would just like to say it is a pleasure to be on board.

April 30, 2014 2:51 am  #2

Re: Hello from Baltimore, MD

Welcome to the forum!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I'm not a hero. I'm a high functioning sociapath! MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

~Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

"Hello, little brother. Enjoying your exile?"

"I've only been gone four minutes!"

~Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

April 30, 2014 4:28 am  #3

Welcome to the forums! Have fun. 

April 30, 2014 4:58 am  #4

Welcome, as well!  Nice to see a fan of the old and the new!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 30, 2014 7:12 am  #5

Welcome, I´m happy to see another fan of Jeremy Brett´s Holmes on the forum!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 30, 2014 7:29 am  #6

Welcome and have lots of fun! Reading your introduction I guess you will!

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

April 30, 2014 10:25 am  #7

Hello and welcome to the forum.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 30, 2014 10:26 am  #8

Welcome!

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

April 30, 2014 11:31 am  #9

Hi, welcome from me as well! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 30, 2014 10:19 pm  #10

Welcome to madness, have fun. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 12, 2014 11:29 pm  #11

Hello and welcome. Jeremy Brett is AWESOME. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera