BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 11, 2012 4:46 pm  #1

How will Sherlock clear his name?

I was trying to think up some cool ideas for our roleplay game today when it occured to me that no one has yet tackled the question of how Sherlock will go about clearing his name upon his return.

We all know that Sherlock will be coming back and returning to what he does best - solving crimes. But when he left his reputation was in tatters and the majority of people believed that he set up and organised all the crimes himself just so he could then show off by "solving them". So how is he going to prove to people that he's not a fraud or a fake?

In the books he stayed away for three years I think but he used that time tracking down and destroying Moriarty's gang in Europe. We have a slightly different issue here because his reputation wasn't damaged at the time of his "death"...whereas in this case it is, and that's going to have to be dealt with in some way.

Any ideas about how they might tackle it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 11, 2012 5:58 pm  #2

Re: How will Sherlock clear his name?

maybe by providing proof that he is not affiliated with any criminals (the last case before he "suicide"), and then proving that Jim Moriarty is a real and Richard Brook is a fake (Sherlock maybe needs Mycroft).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

March 11, 2012 6:41 pm  #3

Sherlock migh just have recorded the conversation with Moriarty on the roof with his phone (and maybe at his home, too, when he was having tea with M). That's why he dropped the phone onto the roof, before he jumped. So it would not get lost, destroyed or taken from him after the jump. A reliable person (probably Molly) could collect it, and keep it safe for Sherlock, until he comes out of hiding. It's the same situation as with Irene Adler's phone, which she sent to Sherlock for safe keeping. Irene's phone was her life insurance; Sherlock's phone could be his ticket for rehabilitation, and Molly sure would defend the phone with her own life.

Last edited by sherlocked (March 11, 2012 6:44 pm)

March 11, 2012 9:09 pm  #4

sherlocked wrote:

Sherlock migh just have recorded the conversation with Moriarty on the roof with his phone (and maybe at his home, too, when he was having tea with M). That's why he dropped the phone onto the roof, before he jumped. So it would not get lost, destroyed or taken from him after the jump. A reliable person (probably Molly) could collect it, and keep it safe for Sherlock, until he comes out of hiding. It's the same situation as with Irene Adler's phone, which she sent to Sherlock for safe keeping. Irene's phone was her life insurance; Sherlock's phone could be his ticket for rehabilitation, and Molly sure would defend the phone with her own life.

Wow, I like that idea! I've often wondered why Sherlock dropped his phone. And remember the flat was bugged with a camera...but we never saw what Sherlock did with the camera once he'd discovered it...he might have decided to put it to his own use...

March 11, 2012 9:38 pm  #5

Yeah, Sherlock, I wondered ,too, about the bugged appartment.
I like the idea, that Sherlock learned one or two things from Irene, being dead, when you're not, might be another one.  I like the parallels: Irene was thought to be dead, when Sherlock guarded her phone; if my guess turns out to be right, Sherlock is thought to be dead, while Molly guards his phone.
I also thought it a little stupid, that M never searched S for a recording device or body bugs; even in real death S could have proven his innocence, should he have been lucky enough to take the phone down with him in one piece. It would not have triggered the snipers to shoot, because they went away, as soon as they believed S to be dead. Oh well, it ain't easy to be a villain from the realm of fantasy.
So how would Molly or some other helper know to look for the phone? S could have called her after M was dead, or, since he had planned the jump in advance, he would have told his helper to collect the phone.
A lot of you guys asked, what Sherlock actually had planned for M. After all he could not really be sure that M would kill himself. And he could not very well do his fake jump with an onlooking Moriarty. I think, I've found a compelling theory, as well as some evidence in the movie itself, which you can only see, if you play the dvd in super slow motion. I will write about it tomorrow, because it takes a little time to put it together.
I know one thing for sure: If we finally know the solution, I will never ever watch the Reichenbach episode again, lol! Enough is enough!

Last edited by sherlocked (March 11, 2012 10:03 pm)

March 11, 2012 10:02 pm  #6

Never ever is a very long time! Agree with the possible use of the phone and the bug from the flat. Proving Moriarty to be real and Rich Brook to be a fake would be the key to proving himself to be the real McCoy.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 12, 2012 3:03 am  #7

Brilliant!

@ Sherlocked: how many times you watch the Reichenbach episode?

© unreasonablyme

March 12, 2012 4:46 am  #8

If Moftiss follow the canon and have us believe 3 years pass (in TV land anything is possible) before Sherlock returns, 3 years is a very long time these days. What were you doing 3 years ago, to the day? (and no, please don't post what you were doing, the important thing is, you had to think a while, it's not like it was last week. )
So for a start, the fickle memories of the public and probably half the Police force  will take a lot of prompting if they saw him in the street.
There wouldn't have to be a big 'let's prove something about Moriarty/Brook' moment. That's over, finished. For the benefit of viewers, there'll be a bit about the reveal, etc etc. But in the storyline you can guarantee Moriarty won't feature.

Recording conversations with phones? OMG, Sherlock has dumbed down since his death!
Recordings would serve no purpose. You can't use them as evidence, it's child's play to manipulate anything like that. And if his phone were used to record such evidence, do you really think he would risk dropping it like he did??? It certainly would have been safer in his pocket if it were the key to him remaining a free man!
Similarly, 'wires' & bugs. No.  Sherlock wasn't out to prove anything to the authorities; he couldn't care less about them. He was out to stop Moriarty.
I can't see any reason to bother with recording or filming anything. I can't see that Sherlock needs an audience for any reason.

It's all starting to get just a bit too fanciful.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 12, 2012 6:29 am  #9

Maybe another newspaper was tapping his phone? Only an idea, don't know where it came from really as i am sure newspapers never do such a thing.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 12, 2012 7:40 am  #10

Recordings and photos are used all the time as evidence. There are even experts, who determine the likelyhood of manipulation. A recording of a phone conversation was one of the things that just toppled our president a couple of weeks ago. If it is about public opinion a recording or a photo sent to a newspaper is all it takes.
Anyway, Mogiss used exactly that idea (compromising photos, recordings and other data conserved on a phone) in the Irene Adler episode. If you argue, that photos can be easily manipulated, no one should be worried about compromising pictures anymore, you could always claim them to be a big fake. It's not so easy, there are tell tale signs of manipulation. To fake audio recordings is even more difficult.
As to the dropping of the phone: I dropped my phones many times like that. It was never damaged. Anyway, I don't think my theory, though of course I could be wrong, is very fancyful. Also we really don't know, if Sherlock will go into hiding for three years. They don't always follow the original canon. For example Irene Adler was never eventually outsmarted and subsequently saved by Holmes in Conan Doyle's story. Three years elapsed before Holmes returned, because Doyle originally wanted to write no more Holmes stories, and it took a while to change his mind, so a three year lapse was plausible.

Last edited by sherlocked (March 12, 2012 8:04 am)

March 12, 2012 8:01 am  #11

And I really do think Sherlock will have to do SOMETHING. Even if three years have past, he can't just come back and just stroll into the police station, start working with Lestrade and taking on cases again like nothing ever happened. There's got to be some kind of moment, something where they end up having to say, "sorry we ever doubted you".

I'm surr Mycroft knows the location of some of Moriarty's hideouts, and knows some of his henchemen, it wouldn't be too hard for him to get some evidence that Moriarty was real. All this could even have happened whilst Sherlock was away, we don't even have to see it all on screen but maybe Sherlock hears this has happened and that's one of the things that prompts him to come back.

March 12, 2012 8:20 am  #12

Also, to a certain degree MoGiss open up possibilities and threads for a story line; if they really use them in the following season, is not certain. I listened to the audio comments of Scandal in Belgravia. If I understood correcty, they hadn't even thought how to resolve the great cliff hanger at the swimming pool at the time of the shooting. The idea with someone (Irene Adler) distracting M with an urgent phone call came after they had finished with the first season. They even reshot parts of the swimming pool scene to make a complete fit. So I think, they have thought out carefully the why and how of the apparent suicide, but what comes after that, is not decided yet. MoGiss even said so in an interview. A lot of things can happen, before they start filming again. Ben Cumberbatch for example remarked, how much his face has changed in the 18 month, which elapsed between the shooting of the first season and the making of Scandal. And he is right. His face has changed a lot from the slim boyish look in the first three episodes to a heftier more mature expression, we see in Reichenbach fall. Should he change even more, they might make the time gap between his fake death and his return larger.

Last edited by sherlocked (March 12, 2012 8:53 am)

March 12, 2012 9:53 am  #13

The CuriosOne asked, how many times I watched the Reichenbach episode:

Lestrade: How many times exactly did he fall out of the window?
  Sherlock: It's all a blurr. I've lost count.

March 12, 2012 12:09 pm  #14

@Sherlocked : whoaa.. *applause*

is that possible if Sherlock find the reason plus evidence why the kids (JM hostage) screaming when saw him, his name will clear by itself?? (at least it clear his name in police - and he doesn't need to runaway)

or probably he just let the gossips go out on its own, since he doesn't care about others people think?

© unreasonablyme

March 12, 2012 12:18 pm  #15

sherlocked wrote:

Recordings and photos are used all the time as evidence. There are even experts, who determine the likelyhood of manipulation. A recording of a phone conversation was one of the things that just toppled our president a couple of weeks ago. If it is about public opinion a recording or a photo sent to a newspaper is all it takes.

So Moftiss are going to write in something that 'happens all the time'? I don't think so. It's pretty dull in fact. And as for it being used as evidence, not unless it's from a reliable source. Sherlock is certainly NOT that.

Anyway, Mogiss used exactly that idea (compromising photos, recordings and other data conserved on a phone) in the Irene Adler episode.

So they're going to use the same old trick again? Please, give them more credit for imagination.

As to the dropping of the phone: I dropped my phones many times like that. It was never damaged.

Ah yes, I knew someone would say that. Do you do so deliberately? No, but if you had stored some supposed recording/data that would basically save your life......... would you risk damaging it in any possible way? Of course not.

Look honestly, when I say fanciful, I mean it's 'too much'/too complicated and yet it's way too ordinary. None of which is Moftiss's style at all.
The simplest things are the best, and they only make the best. We'll have a lot of Red Herrings leftover when S3 comes out.

Sherlock will come back and be 'in the shadows' for a while. And that is where he will be able to work best from. No-one taking his picture, no-one asking for interviews. Probably no-one even recognising him, he's a dead washed up has-been.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 12, 2012 12:20 pm  #16

Do you guys realise, the police don't really have any evidence of Sherlock having done anything wrong, other than escaping from custody. Without a charge, he doesn't have to clear his name.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 12, 2012 1:21 pm  #17

Well, kazza, naturally I don't agree with what you say about my quotes (IF the Irene situation should be mirrored, I wouldn't say 'same old trick'; I would think it a clever symmetry), but I agree with you, that S will might be in the shadow for some time. It's even quite possible that he doesn't come face to face with John  immediately in the first episode. And he might look different as well. Ultimately it's all speculation. But I'd never say 'same old trick' about any idea before I've seen it,since it all depends on how it's going to be executed. I'd never thought, the Irene Adler concept would work, before I've seen Scandal. Now I consider it as one of the best in the series.

March 12, 2012 1:31 pm  #18

It's not about evidence, it's about suspicion. In the real legal world, there would never have been a warrant for his arrest, because there was not enough evidence for an arrest, in handcuffs no less. But not to be considered a fraud makes or breaks S as a consultant detective; without his good name he wouldn't get any cases, let alone interesting ones, and his brain would rot as he says himself.That said, we simply don't know, if MoGiss will have a more or less elaborate story line about Sherlock's rehabilitation.

Last edited by sherlocked (March 12, 2012 6:03 pm)

March 12, 2012 5:21 pm  #19

Maybe Mycroft DID manage to turn Moriarty and the setting up Sherlock's disappearance will allow him to continue to work undercover to eliminate the criminal web. Perhaps Jim Moriarty was NOT the true centre of this web. Just a thought.

March 12, 2012 6:00 pm  #20

Davina, I cannot imagine, that Mycroft turned M; he was out to get Sherlock, and, when he realized that he was beaten (I have an idea, what made him realize that), he killed himself. Really, not just pretend. But the thought, that the histrionic M was not the biggest spider in the web, occured to me , too. I see no other reason, why S would want to go undercover for any prolonged time. I mean, he could have come back from his pretend death after the snipers went away and his friends were safe, but at the start of the movie a month has elapsed already since Sherlock's supposed suicide. There must be a good reason for that. And the show needs a new good villain!

Board footera