BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 28, 2012 10:14 pm  #1

Mark Gatiss- the uncanny

Mark was on BBC Radio 4 today in a programme about 'The Uncanny'. His contribution to this exploration of the uncanny and in particular Sigmund Freud's exploration of it in 'Das Unheimliche' was his fondness for the story of The Sandman (Der Sandmann) by Hoffman. He read an excerpt from the story about the mother explaining that the Sandman is nothing to be afraid of but merely a phrase used to mean that it is time for children to go to bed.

I will try to catch the whole programme on iplayer if I can and post any other contribution he made.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 29, 2012 9:15 pm  #2

Re: Mark Gatiss- the uncanny

Oh this is a find! Mark just tweeted this:

Mark Gatiss@Markgatiss
Missed this? It's fascinating. The notion of the Uncanny. I'm in it a bit. Which is canny. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01k2bvn

So I checked it out & I can listen to this!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01k2bvn

link is on that page but here it is here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/b01k2bvn

Thanks Davi !

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 29, 2012 9:37 pm  #3

He's such a clever man. Very canny!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 29, 2012 9:39 pm  #4

That saying keeps reminding me of a saying we have here : "tinny" which isn't quite the same, lol.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 29, 2012 9:42 pm  #5

Not quite! Lol

June 30, 2012 7:00 am  #6

Yup that's why be aware of him lolz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 30, 2012 12:30 pm  #7

Wow - that was a great little documentary.  I was glued to it. As I listened it felt like so many hints being dropped about "The Empty House".  I mean it was all about the cozy home no longer familiar - a dwelling place now alien and off kilter with the feeling of a ghostly hidden presence there, disassociation, strangeness. In other words, the un-homely house. Hmmmm.....now there's a pun.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 30, 2012 1:04 pm  #8

Definitely unheimlich!

Board footera