BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 24, 2014 12:08 pm  #41

Re: So it's true.....

I guess most of you will have seen this by now:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-04-24/martin-freeman-next-sherlock-is-a-one-off-special

Don't quite know what to make of all this yet. I think it's probably best to get it all in proper context straight from the horse's mouth on Friday...

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

April 24, 2014 12:56 pm  #42

So what does it mean? Only one more episode or one episode in between.
They CAN'T end this now, they just can't!
They left too much open. They cannot stop!

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

April 24, 2014 1:50 pm  #43

It doesn't really read as something that would just continue where we were left at the end of S3... I mean, Martin talks about how fantastic and mouth-watering the idea is, and just continuing the story isn't really all that fantastic, is it? That would be pretty... normal and expected.
Maybe it's something completely different, maybe they intend to go back in time or something...?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 24, 2014 2:25 pm  #44

Good approach, but I'm afraid it's not that easy to me.

April 24, 2014 3:14 pm  #45

"Mouth watering" implies it's something he's excited by as an Actor, and I can't shake this feeling I have that there's an idea of doing something where John and Mary team up to solve crimes while Sherlock is supposed to be off doing something else.
Could there be a one-off with just those two in it?
To be honest, though, Swanpride is right - there are so many conflicting quotes printed about what may or may not be so regarding a new series, that I don't think it's worth getting worked up about until we hear something official.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

April 24, 2014 3:17 pm  #46

I would not be happy at all about such a spin-off. After all this is "Sherlock", not "John & Mary".  
As for the rest - you are right, we should wait until we get something reliable. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 24, 2014 3:24 pm  #47

Tinks wrote:

"Mouth watering" implies it's something he's excited by as an Actor, and I can't shake this feeling I have that there's an idea of doing something where John and Mary team up to solve crimes while Sherlock is supposed to be off doing something else.
Could there be a one-off with just those two in it?
To be honest, though, Swanpride is right - there are so many conflicting quotes printed about what may or may not be so regarding a new series, that I don't think it's worth getting worked up about until we hear something official.

So much NO.   I simply cannot see them devoting time to something like this when they only have 5 hours per series to work with.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 24, 2014 3:31 pm  #48

I don't want it to happen, and probably wouldn't watch if it did, to be honest; spin offs just aren't my cup of tea.
But I was meaning: did they have an eye on moving on without Sherlock, and making a completely different show about the Watsons?
Probably just my over active imagination though!!!!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

April 24, 2014 3:45 pm  #49

I really do not see any proof for that? Maybe we will hear more in the Alan Carr show. I just think that as much as I like Martin people would not be so enthusiastic to see him without Benedict. And I will not comment on Mary as a character here. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 24, 2014 3:55 pm  #50

I'm going to live in hope, maybe even after some more official news, that's what I'll do. I don't trust those articles at all. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 24, 2014 4:05 pm  #51

I've not looked at them, yet!
I'll try and listen to Martin on Friday..is it?
I like Alan Carr and he can be fine...
But sometimes disappointing.
I gather everbody's a bit perplexed and maybe I'll join you soon!
But you know what?
I actually would rather the Alan Carr show contains frustrating series news over hedgehogs and Johnlock, which these things usually do!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 25, 2014 6:21 am  #52

Well, I am not very keen on frustrating news concerning series 4, but I am completely with you as far as the hedgehogs and the very explicit Johnlock images are concerned. I've definitely had enough of both.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

April 25, 2014 12:23 pm  #53

I'm confused. And afraid.

April 25, 2014 12:54 pm  #54

Well the "without BC" theory was purely my own - nothing has been said about this by anyone involved with the show - it was purely a hunch of mine, and very probably completely wrong!!
I have to say though, I don't agree that a one off without him would be better than nothing - how could you have Sherlock without Sherlock?!
Besides which, I think it would be unfair and slightly disrepectful to do it without him - thinking about it, the idea seems absolutely ridiculous so a completely stupid theory I had there, anyway!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

April 25, 2014 3:46 pm  #55

'Unfortunately' I have a Google alert set for Martin, so between that and visiting here...I kind of get the gist!
But I will watch hm tonight, anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 25, 2014 4:20 pm  #56

I'll have to look on here to see what was actually said as I really don't like Chatty Man!
I'm not big on chat shows anyway, to be honest!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

April 25, 2014 4:24 pm  #57

I only watch them if there's somebody I really like on..so Martin's lucky!

April 25, 2014 4:27 pm  #58

I'm not sure I could watch it even if Benedict was on, in truth!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

April 25, 2014 4:32 pm  #59

Oh I would have...but possibly wouldn't have liked it!

Last edited by besleybean (April 27, 2014 4:39 pm)

April 27, 2014 4:36 pm  #60

It sucks, but I can understand...guess we'll just have to wait!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

Board footera