BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 16, 2014 7:33 am  #61

Re: "Benaddicted" vs "Sherlocked"?

I completely understand that.
Sometimes his characters are beautiful, sometimes they're not.
Sometimes he looks a little tired, off colour, or whatever, sometimes (mostly, imo!) he looks absolutely and uniquely stunning - for me, for instance, he was the most beautiful, graceful guy on the red carpet at The Oscars; when he rocks it, he really rocks it!!!
Sometimes, too, he can talk about a book or a piece of music or whatever and inspire me to seek it out; he's incredibly intelligent. And sometimes he says things that are child like and lovably naive.
I think he's a beautiful bundle of contradictions, so I'm definitely Ben-addicted! (And probably a bit too old to be!!!)

Last edited by Tinks (April 16, 2014 7:34 am)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

April 16, 2014 7:38 am  #62

Agreed! To all points! Also the last one ... bit too old to be Ben-addicted ... But ... who cares???

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

April 16, 2014 7:39 am  #63

Too true

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

April 16, 2014 7:43 am  #64

Oh I'm old and wise enough to know I would never have a chance with Benedict...and I'm married!
Doesn't mean I can't think he is currently THE most eligible man in the world...well, that is if he is eligible.
Ok, I mean he is THE most gorgeous man in the world.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 16, 2014 7:58 am  #65

besleybean wrote:

Oh I'm old and wise enough to know I would never have a chance with Benedict...and I'm married!

Same with me. Benedict is my big puppy love at the moment. I live it out (to the extreme) in this brilliant forum and with the very very nice girls I met in person because of it.

It's so different to be a fan nowadays. Back in the 1980s I had to wait for articles in newspapers, TV performances or newsletters from a fanclub (which were REAL letters!), went to shops for anything to buy and write letters, to get any contact to other fans.
Thanks to the internet with all it's possibilities being a fan is much more intensive.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

April 16, 2014 8:12 am  #66

Oh yes, the fandom world is so much different from when we were young...
Except one thing is constant: slash fantasies!

Last edited by besleybean (April 16, 2014 9:51 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 16, 2014 8:46 am  #67

No, I hadn't slash fantasies, though I was fan of a band of young handsome lads. But it was more "important" for us that they were straight back then.

(Tony Hadley)

April 16, 2014 12:17 pm  #68

I love the internet.  The internet makes me happy. 

And there is NO age limit on BenAddiction.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 16, 2014 12:18 pm  #69

Quite so.

April 16, 2014 12:35 pm  #70

gently69 wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Same with me. Benedict is my big puppy love at the moment. I live it out (to the extreme) in this brilliant forum and with the very very nice girls I met in person because of it.

It's so different to be a fan nowadays. Back in the 1980s I had to wait for articles in newspapers, TV performances or newsletters from a fanclub (which were REAL letters!), went to shops for anything to buy and write letters, to get any contact to other fans.
Thanks to the internet with all it's possibilities being a fan is much more intensive.

I'm right there with you, ladies! I'm married, 43, and crushing on Benedict like a crazy teenager! I have a Pinterest board dedicated to Sherlock, but mostly Ben. Just like posters on my bedroom wall as a kid! Yes, the internet makes it so much easier than the fan clubs of the 80s.  Instant gratification!  Or actually, more like instant frustration. ;-) At least we can share all of that here.

April 16, 2014 12:39 pm  #71

gently69 wrote:

For me who's born in the late 90's I find this really cool. I haven't really thought about how people did before as fans but I'd like to know more. I find it fascinating!

Last edited by batchlock (April 16, 2014 12:40 pm)

April 16, 2014 12:46 pm  #72

I completely agree with what Batchlock said.

I've only ever known about being a fan on the internet, with the occasional magazine/newspaper article thrown in there! It must be so different now to know that you can access whatever you like from your fingertips on a computer keyboard.

It also makes it a lot easier to develop friendships with other fans (in which I have done so thanks to this forum!), and I don't know, it's just really interesting!

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

April 16, 2014 12:48 pm  #73

It WAS fascinating ... somehow. But you always had to wait ... on news ... on things to buy ... on contacts to like-minded people ... on everything.

Now you go into the internet, buy stuff, talk to people and get news, pictures, videos ... loads of ...

The only thing you have to wait for is another Sherlock season.

(Tony Hadley)

April 16, 2014 12:52 pm  #74

gently69 wrote:

The only thing you have to wait for is another Sherlock season.

But sites like this make the hiatus' bareable!

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

April 16, 2014 1:01 pm  #75

Yeah, fandom is pretty instant now. Back in the 90's, what the hardest thing for me as a dedicated anglophile was that it was very complicated (and often expensive) to get to see/read things in their original version. This was before we had DVDs or online stores. If you wanted a movie that was not dubbed into German, you had to either travel to the UK or US, or have people there who would record or buy things for you and send them by mail.

In the end I found ways and suppliers, like a tiny bookstore in Unna (1 hour travel each way) that would sell only English books, or a video rental in the city centre of Düsseldorf that would carry some movies/TV shows on VHS in English (e.g. Star Trek). But often that meant long delays because these English versions always took a while (weeks, sometimes months) to be available in Germany. It was all a huge exercise in patience and often also in creativity.

Does anyone else remember fanclub maganizes? There were no blogs or fan fiction portals. You'd become a member of a local (or national) fanclub, and they'd publish a newsletter or a magazine on a regular basis, sometimes with articles and news about your fandom, sometimes with printed fan fictions. I still remember typing up reports of fan meetings on my mum's typewriter.

Oh, the good old times! But I must say, even though sometimes all the instant availability of information and the corresponding ephemeral tendencies in this day and age are a bit disconcerting, I much prefer that to how fandom worked twenty years ago. It certainly makes fangirling so much easier and more gratifying.

April 16, 2014 1:56 pm  #76

Wow. That's so... different. Now we just type what we want and get what we want, and as long as you have internet you can know almost everything about your idol. We are spoiled. Eventho I've nothing against that,  I'd actually like to be born 10 years earlier lol.

Last edited by batchlock (April 16, 2014 2:06 pm)

April 16, 2014 2:11 pm  #77

I wouldn't want to be in a world without internet, now.
But it certainly doesn't squash debate.

April 16, 2014 2:15 pm  #78

Before the internet I use to spend obscene amounts of money on magazines that even had a tiny blurb about what ever my obsession was at the moment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 16, 2014 2:19 pm  #79

Oh, I know that, tonnaree. 

(Tony Hadley)

April 16, 2014 2:27 pm  #80

Thing is, when I was a girl- you could afford to!
I didn't get much pocket money, but between my sister and I we could literally afford every pop mag there was.

Last edited by besleybean (April 16, 2014 2:27 pm)

Board footera