BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 28, 2012 3:24 am  #1

Loyalty Binds Me

"Loyaulte me lie"  or  "Loyalty binds me"

I’ve been thinking a lot about Richard III’s motto and it’s applicability to my relationship with historical and fictional figures.  My favorites always seem to live by this.

My first introduction to Richard III was in a horror film made in 1939 starring Basil Rathbone (see, a tie to our heroes) as Richard.  Here I was, watching a film fully steeped in the Shakespearean theme of Richard as the epitome of evil. However, one small detail made it impossible for me to accept that characterization.  The character was depicted (very authentically, according to contemporary records) as absolutely devoted to his elder brother.  I could not get my brain around the idea that this man would ruthlessly murder his nephews, for any reason.

I started researching the historical figure and, although we will never really know the truth, convinced myself that he was an extremely loyal, trustworthy and capable man who was forced to do the best he could in a bad situation.  There were several shady, ambitious and grasping individuals vying for control after Edward’s early and unexpected death.  Richard showed no signs of ambition before 1483.  He was a capable general and the king’s right hand man, but preferred to live in the north, away from court.  I think that he did what he thought was right to honor his brother, but ended up out-maneuvered and eventually destroyed by his enemies.  A flawed man, but never evil.

John Watson is similar, his single minded devotion is admirable.  Our hearts ache for him when he ends up in a place of pain and loss, alone again.

I’ve always been drawn to the character that is honest, straightforward and loyal.  Another of my favorite fictional characters is Sam Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings.

After Frodo had apparently been killed by the spider, Sam decides to take the ring and complete the quest.  Then he learns that Frodo was poisoned, but not dead.  "You fool, he isn't dead, and your heart knew it.  Don't trust your head, Samwise, it is not the best part of you."

At the grave, John Watson is trusting his heart...

...Boy, that was a confusing ramble.  Hope it resonates with someone...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

June 28, 2012 6:17 am  #2

Re: Loyalty Binds Me

I've always thought, nay believed, that Richard III's reputation as some kind of evil monster is a result of Tudor propaganda. It suited their political ambitions, especially once these had finally been achieved to have him painted as a bad egg. With hindsight we know that their reign was highly successful and very long lasting (until the death of Elizabeth anyway) but they did not have the benefit of hindsight. They lived in times of great political unrest, there had been the Wars of the Roses and there were the  occasional, dangerous rebellions and pretenders to the throne.

It is interesting that you are drawn to these faithful characters, real or imaginary. Many people are attracted to the opposite in books (and in life).

John is a good and faithful and trusted companion. At no time does he lose faith in Sherlock, not at Kitty's flat, not at Sherlock's 'death'. He has known death before as an army doctor but this is different.

Let's hope the writers (bless them) deal with him fairly in the next series- I am confident they will.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera