BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 10, 2014 9:19 am  #301

Re: The Sign of Three Picture Thread

And I couldn't stop laughing when I read one of the first comments on tumblr regarding this exact moment: "That's when John broke Sherlock".
It really seems as if he's incapable of 'functioning' for about a minute. Endearing and tragic at the same time.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 10, 2014 9:26 am  #302

You are right, Solar. That is a situation when Sherlock completely lost controll. What would you do if something happens that you never thought of to be possible?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

April 10, 2014 9:31 am  #303

I adore that scene; it was a glimpse of humanity I feel; Sherlock's tough shell of a facade was broken for those 'few' moments and he had no idea what to do! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 10, 2014 9:35 am  #304

LOL
JOHN: That’s getting a bit scary now.

Last edited by gently69 (April 10, 2014 9:36 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

April 10, 2014 9:39 am  #305

JOHN: No, it is! It is ...

Last edited by gently69 (April 10, 2014 9:39 am)

(Tony Hadley)

April 10, 2014 9:40 am  #306

Great moment (yes, it is about Mary, I know, but still). 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 10, 2014 9:46 am  #307

But John couldn't do it without Sherlock.

(Tony Hadley)

April 10, 2014 9:53 am  #308

SusiGo wrote:

Great moment (yes, it is about Mary, I know, but still). 

Oh, but..... it's not entirely about Mary, is it? Okay, alright, John is marrying her, but he wants Sherlock to be there with him as well so badly...! Asking Sherlock to be his best man feels to me as if John were asking Sherlock to marry him.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

April 10, 2014 10:14 am  #309

gently69 wrote:

You are right, Solar. That is a situation when Sherlock completely lost controll. What would you do if something happens that you never thought of to be possible?

You would doubt if it is real and try to verify or falsify it by asking questions. Something like " Where are we going?; Some sort of party? Who's the host?" (quotes from The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes where Sherlock is actually invited by Mycroft with customary arrogance but mistaken and fooled by a woman)  And I don't think that meta-Holmes was ever Dr. Watson's best man in the history of pastiches. Or was he? So his actual mistrust is certainly understandable.

Last edited by Be (April 10, 2014 10:22 am)

April 10, 2014 10:24 am  #310

I think I would stand there like Sherlock did. Absolutely stunned and not able to do anything...

(Tony Hadley)

April 10, 2014 10:25 am  #311

And I don't think it's mistrust. He's unable to comprehend the meaning of it all.

April 10, 2014 10:32 am  #312

I think Sherlock is be arrogant and overly sure of his intellectual brilliance while at the same time totally unaware of other people's positive feelings towards him. Most people have been hostile or dismissive towards him (not without reason). Just think of the cab scene in ASiP. Or his "I don't have friends". This was not the drugs speaking. And when John tells him that he is his best friend despite of how much he hurt him Sherlock is simply overwhelmed and does not trust his self-image anymore. 

Last edited by SusiGo (April 10, 2014 10:33 am)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 10, 2014 10:36 am  #313

Yes, that's perhaps a better way to describe it. I didn't mean that he doesn't trust John but that he is not sure if he can trust his own interpretation when it comes to "being involved".

April 10, 2014 10:39 am  #314

Yes, it is a sign of his insecurity. His self-confidence fails the moment he is forced to recognise his own emotions and cope with them. A thing he has to learn.

April 10, 2014 10:42 am  #315

Isn't it what a sociopath feels or rather not feels? What he can't cope with?

(Tony Hadley)

April 10, 2014 10:53 am  #316

Sorry, not my division. I do not know the exact definition of sociopathy but I think that Sherlock mainly uses the term to protect himself. 

April 10, 2014 10:55 am  #317

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, it is a sign of his insecurity. His self-confidence fails the moment he is forced to recognise his own emotions and cope with them. A thing he has to learn.

At the end he tries, goes to the wedding, makes a vow and ends being a murderer alone on a plane to nowhere.

April 10, 2014 10:59 am  #318

Was this really necessary, Be? 
Seriously, he is still in the process of learning. He let his feelings could his mind and he did not deduce important things about Mary and Magnussen. He will have to find a way to coordinate the emotional and intellectual elements of his character. 

April 10, 2014 11:22 am  #319

If we look at the "sweet" and bright side of the coin we also have to acknowledge his dark and dangerous side. Series 3 explores the extremes.

April 10, 2014 11:34 am  #320

SusiGo wrote:

Sorry, not my division. I do not know the exact definition of sociopathy but I think that Sherlock mainly uses the term to protect himself. 

Yeah, could be. Poor man...

(Tony Hadley)

Board footera