BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 9, 2014 7:15 am  #21

Re: The restaurant scene

A local restaurant, I assumed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 9, 2014 7:24 am  #22

I would love to ask Motfiss about this, rather than talk about future series I'd love a talk dedicated to explaining this whole episode!!!

I'm clueing for looks

April 9, 2014 7:26 am  #23

I have a list of questions I want to ask them about all 9 episodes so far...I suspect some people have a file!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 9, 2014 8:29 am  #24

SusiGo wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

I don't think that's Speedy's. When John and Mycroft meet there at the end of ASiB, it looks pretty different to the restaurant where Sherlock and CAM meet. Smaller. Not so many tables. Different interior.

On a completely different note, when I watched the episode for the first time, I wasn't quite sure if this scene was actually happening, because it felt so very much like a dream sequence to me.

Same with me. It really has a dreamlike quality. I mean, Sherlock eating pasta!! But seriously, the whole timeline is weird. We basically do not know anything about what happened from the moment the paramedics turned up at Baker Street up to Christmas. 

Susi, I read your fanfic about the missing scenes between the shooting and 221 B.
When we additionally try to force the not-cantine scene in it with Sherlock in this ridiculous hospital not-pyjama eating pasta we need to make a knot in our brain to fit every silly thing in:
Putting the chair back, buying Clair-de-la lune perfume, meeting CAM, instructing John, preparing Marry's picture to appear on the facade of Leinster Gardens. And all this while seriously injured in a hospital not-pyjama with a wheel chair??????
Well, we have Billy to help?? Really?

April 9, 2014 9:31 am  #25

What I am asking myself: Was there any need for Sherlock to meet CAM right after leaving the hospital and before setting up the trap for Mary?
After all, we get that scene after Sherlock has been hospitalised for the second time, so my interpretation is that he didn't meet CAM before Leinster Gardens and the scene with John and Mary in 221B, but while he was in hospital for the second time.
Still, the scene is a bit... weird.

Last edited by SolarSystem (April 9, 2014 9:31 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 9, 2014 9:40 am  #26

I would also say it happend when he was in hospital for the second time. Mary should have become their "client" before Sherlock arranges the deal with CAM. Makes more sense to me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

April 9, 2014 9:47 am  #27

SolarSystem wrote:

What I am asking myself: Was there any need for Sherlock to meet CAM right after leaving the hospital and before setting up the trap for Mary?
After all, we get that scene after Sherlock has been hospitalised for the second time, so my interpretation is that he didn't meet CAM before Leinster Gardens and the scene with John and Mary in 221B, but while he was in hospital for the second time.
Still, the scene is a bit... weird.

The fact that we get the scene after Sherlock has been hospitalised for the second time doesn't mean that it happend after it. And meeting CAM during the escape that we actually see (the empty bed that is) would indicate that Sherlock planned the meeting with CAM at Christmas a long time in advance.
I think it is improbable that he escaped from hospital twice.
Apart from the fact that almost everything is improbable or impossible.

Last edited by Be (April 9, 2014 9:48 am)

April 9, 2014 10:32 am  #28

Be wrote:

I think it is improbable that he escaped from hospital twice.

I won't say that. It's Sherlock. And I don't think that he was watched all the time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

April 9, 2014 10:57 am  #29

I do not think he planned the Appledore meeting in advance. CAM who surprises him by coming to his own flat. Some hours later Sherlock enters CAM's office and is shot. There is no virtually no time or opportunity to fix the meeting. I would say it takes place during his second stay in hospital. 
But it is all unclear because the whole timeline is so diffuse. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 9, 2014 11:24 am  #30

We can only guess and still we won't get anywhere with it...
Just as a theory:
Sherlock had apparently organised a lot of things, the chair, the perfume, the facade. Why not the meeting with CAM, too? It would also be efficient to organise everything at once.
And I imagine that at least Mrs. Hudson brought him a proper pyjama for his second stay at the hospital.
Sherlock wears this ridiculous not-pyjama in the not-canteen. You only get something like that when you are brought in on an emergency and you are not yet equipped with personal stuff, so possibly at the first stay right after Janine talked to him and he saw Mary in his mind and had another look at her.

Can you imagine Sherlock with a wheel chair and a not-pyjama and  morphine equipment wandering around London? Really? I can imagine him with a harpune, almost.

April 9, 2014 12:00 pm  #31

Perhaps he also had contacts at the hospital? An ambulance driver for example who owed him a favour?
Who knows ...

But would Sherlock have made this deal in advance? Without knowing if John would "accept" the situation? We agree that Sherlock did this all for John, don't we? If John had decided that he couldn't stand Mary any longer for what she did to Sherlock. Would Sherlock still risk it to save her this way? Well she was an assassin and could help herself.

Hmm ... difficult ...

(Tony Hadley)

April 9, 2014 12:10 pm  #32

Yes, I think it was important for Sherlock to know how the relationship between John and Mary would turn out (which is not entirely clear until the end, but this is beside the point). 
I think he did not just target Magnussen because of Mary and John. Remember he loathed him even before he knew about the connection between Mary and CAM. He loathed him because he targeted people who were different, people like himself. 

I think he has several reasons for shooting him in the end:
- he is indeed a danger to Mary and by extension to John
- he targeted Mycroft via Sherlock
- he threatens to publish Sherlock's attempt to sell his brother's state secrets

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 9, 2014 12:27 pm  #33

SusiGo wrote:

- he is indeed a danger to Mary and by extension to John

Assuming that Mary would disappear John would be put at first place ... to be in danger, wouldn't he?

(Tony Hadley)

April 9, 2014 1:31 pm  #34

Be wrote:

Sherlock wears this ridiculous not-pyjama in the not-canteen. You only get something like that when you are brought in on an emergency and you are not yet equipped with personal stuff, so possibly at the first stay right after Janine talked to him and he saw Mary in his mind and had another look at her.

Can you imagine Sherlock with a wheel chair and a not-pyjama and  morphine equipment wandering around London? Really? I can imagine him with a harpune, almost.

That´s exactly why I think all that restaurant scene was just arranged by Sherlock to give CAM a wrong impression about him. Because there´s obviously something fake about it.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 9, 2014 1:47 pm  #35

Good point, nakahara, really good.

(Tony Hadley)

Board footera