BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 1, 2014 2:56 pm  #1

Someone else pissed about the How I Met Your Mother finale???

Tumblr is already exploding.
Someone wrote, after watching the HIMYM finale you realize that Moffat is not THAT mean after all... and I think this is true.
I just wish I never saw it... 
How to destroy a wonderful show in just 40 minutes...

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

April 1, 2014 4:09 pm  #2

Re: Someone else pissed about the How I Met Your Mother finale???

Amen and pass the biscuits!  I am so angry I can't see straight.  Last night I cried and swore and actually threw things!
Can't believe they went with that ending.  All of it.  Breaking up Barney and Robin.  Killing the mother.  having Barney go back to his old ways.  Then Ted and Robin AGAIN!   I feel like that last hour invalidtaed everything that had come before.  Just wipped out the whole emotional journey.

Pissed doesn't even begin to cover it with me.  I feel like I can never watch a rerun of the show again because it would kill me knowing how it ends.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 1, 2014 7:19 pm  #3

I don't mind much, but a little spoiler warning would have been nice  .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

April 1, 2014 9:21 pm  #4

I'm more disappointed than pissed. I really liked mother and they made it seem like she was just replacing Robin aka Ted's true love the whole time. Horrible. It wasn't as bad as Dexter finale (I can't even watch the old episodes now), at least there were some great scenes. I didn't mind that they had decided that not all relationships could be "and they lived happily ever after" but I would still prefer happier ending. I hate that the writers always decide that they have to be inventive and come up with something surprising. I would be much more satisfied with the end that I expected.

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

April 1, 2014 9:32 pm  #5

Yes Pav, an expected end would have been nice...

April 1, 2014 11:03 pm  #6

I can't think of any show's finale that I've really loved on first viewing, but I think with a little time HIMYM will sit fine with me. I liked the callbacks to the pilot and I thought the daughter's view that what he was actually doing was giving his kids some perspective on Robin, it makes sense. It wasn't intentional on his part, but the story of the entire series makes sense if you think of it as a father trying to warm his children (unnecessarily, apparently) to the idea of his dating someone. The scenes with the children were filmed years ago, so it is nice to know the creators had this planned from the very beginning. 

I am a believer that there is not just one perfect soulmate for everyone - maybe its just my hyperrational brain, but the mathematical probabilities just make it seem impossible. For example, I love my husband, but if he died or we had never met, I think I could still find happiness and build a life with someone else. I know if he died, I would want him to be happy and not just live the rest of his life alone. Its not pleasant to think about and its not a fairy tale ending, but life isn't. 

Second chance at true happiness is show canon as well - remember in 2005 Tracy is in a deep relationship with Max, who also died. So Ted is actual the Mother's second true love. I didn't see it as her being an interlude in the Robin saga. If she had lived, Ted wouldn't consider dating Robin. If Max had lived, Ted wouldn't have met her to begin with. 

I actually did like how Robin fell out of contact with the rest of the group. Don't get me wrong, it was sad, but again, that is life. It was even alluded to a few weeks ago in the Gary Blauman story where the conclusion is that people fall out of your lives and if you want them in it, you have to actively take steps to keep them part of it, otherwise the natural state of things is to drift away. That's exactly what happened with Robin. I also think it was necessary for the plot - it would have been awkward if Robin had been super close with Ted and Tracy as a couple, then stepped in after she passed. Her being mostly out of contact with Ted and then rekindling friendship after he had become a widower makes more sense. 

I wasn't a fan of any the parts of the finale involving Barney. I never really liked the whole Barney/Robin thing - it seemed way to pushed down our throats. But after making us swallow the bitter pill, I wish they would have kept it. Now it just seems like something done to drag out a little more life on a show that could have concluded a few years ago. I also was a little upset with Barney returning to his womanizing ways - at some point you need to grow up and behave like an adult. The fact that he didn't is pathetic and just sad. The child seemed unnecessary - I'm not sure what point they were trying to make with him there. 

Speaking of sad, I just felt perpetually bad for Marshall. Five years is an extremely long time to do a job that you hate. But career switch and jobs may just be a little close to home for me atm. 

April 2, 2014 6:05 am  #7

I really feel most sad about Barney... why was this whole thing neccessary? Why make him a better person and give him a wife and then just take it from him and leave him alone? Just not fair!

And why spend 22 episodes on a wedding, to destroy it in minutes and then rush through the rest of the story?

Btw: 9 seasons, if each hat 24 episodes, each 20 minutes then it is 72 hours totally, 3 full days...

Last edited by zeratul (April 2, 2014 6:07 am)

April 2, 2014 11:53 am  #8

When they went with giving Barny a child, at first that made me hope that they were going to have him and Robin get back together and that would be great because she can't have children.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 6, 2014 11:48 pm  #9

yeah I hoped the same...

Board footera