BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 1, 2012 7:37 pm  #41

Re: House

I love House and I've watched from the start. It's really great!
He really is a medical Sherlock Holmes but he engages more in social and sexual life than our batchy-Sherlock.
I think House even lives in the apartment 221b ^^
The funny thing is every time I talk about Sherlock she tells me how similar house is to Sherlock and she even thinks Sherlock took House as a role model but i think that's blasphemy...
I'm really sad Hugh Laurrie wants to stop being House...

December 2, 2012 3:19 am  #42

Lelli wrote:

He really is a medical Sherlock Holmes but he engages more in social and sexual life than our batchy-Sherlock.
The funny thing is every time I talk about Sherlock she tells me how similar house is to Sherlock and she even thinks Sherlock took House as a role model but i think that's blasphemy...

The character of House was inspired in part by ACD's Sherlock Holmes.

- We start with the name "Holmes" (pronounced homes) = House
- They have only one real friend : Watson = Wilson
- Both characters are consulted on cases too hard for others.
- Both use 'strange' methods of deduction & arrive at the answer long before most have understood the question.
- Both have a 'usage issue' with drugs Holmes - mainly Cocaine; House - mainly Vicodin
- Both play musical instruments quite well. Holmes - violin; House - piano & others
- Both have their best friend as a room mate at one stage.
- Both best friends are 'ladies' men' but never to the point that it interferes with the main relationship with Holmes/House.
- The drug use by Holmes was increased during times of 'non activity' with cases; such is the case with House also.

Let's look at some more nods to the canon by the writers:

- House lives in apartment 221B Baker Street

- The patient in the series pilot was named Rebecca Adler.
- in one episode (No Reason), House is shot by a man named Moriarty.
- in one episode (Whac-A-Mole) House puts the answer to something in an envelope & writes on the envelope " The game is an itchy foot" ( similar to "The Game is afoot)
- In the episode 'Joy to The World'; Wilson buys House a book as a Xmas gift. It's an historical medical text by Dr Joseph Bell. (Bell is the inspiration for ACD's original Holmes character)  Also, when House throws the book away, Wilson makes up a story to hide the real reason and explains to others that it was given to House by "his Irene Adler" , suggesting that the gift was actually from a woman who was loved by House but 'outsmarted' him.

- Oh and of course, both have similar attitudes to others. Anti-social narcissists who basically negate other people's opinions (except that of their best friends) & really don't care for others in their chosen field of study.

So your friend had it partly 'right' ; the 2 shows are connected, but Holmes was definitely the inspiration for HOUSE, not the other way around.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

December 2, 2012 3:53 am  #43

Dr. House isn't an organ donor. That's interesting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

December 5, 2012 4:09 am  #44

So...

Germany have now had their final episode of House - what did you guys think of it?

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

December 5, 2012 7:34 am  #45

First I'd like to say hello, m0riarty, I think we haven't had the pleasure so far. 

I'd expected more drama, to be honest, but in the end I was satisfied and happy. They chose to do it in a quiet way with him in the burning house and having these inner discussions with people either playing the devil's advocate or trying to nudge him in the right direction. And I loved it when Wilson got the text during the memorial. I thought at once of the ASiP and "Wrong!" That one was very much Sherlock.
I'm just still wondering how he managed to leave the burning warehouse through the backdoor when Wilson and Foreman had just seen him looking out. One second later everything collapsed.

Last edited by SusiGo (December 5, 2012 7:35 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 5, 2012 8:25 am  #46

The creator, David Shore explained it this way:

'House M.D.' Boss Explains the Mysteries in Series Finale

"It was supposed to be ambiguous as to whether the floor collapsed on him or in front of him; certainly it was nasty stuff. There are a few seconds between the collapse and the explosion. He narrowly got out the back."

When pressed with question whether it's possible for a limp man like House to escape that quickly, Shore said to TV Guide, "It was certainly intended to make the audience believe it's going to be very, very difficult for him to get out." He went on explaining, "It certainly would have been tricky for him to get out, but we don't have a full understanding of the geography of the interior. It was supposed to be almost impossible, but possible."

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

December 5, 2012 8:38 am  #47

Thank you for the quote, Kazza. I think it's interesting they called the episode "Reichenbachfall" over here. I wonder how many people understood the allusion and how many are still asking themselves why the hell they chose this title. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 5, 2012 2:47 pm  #48

SusiGo wrote:

First I'd like to say hello, m0riarty, I think we haven't had the pleasure so far. 

Hi SusiGo!

I think there was some overlap between your joining and my disappearing and we took part in a few threads together but yes, this seemingly is our first direct contact and for that I do apologise as I should have greeted you in your introduction thread. Guten Tag!

I don't know much German but I do like the covers of your books and I like the 'Roaring Twenties' zeitgeist as I'm a bit of a Wodehouse fan.

Speaking of Wodehouse, you should see the TV adapted version of some of his stories they're marvellous and star Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie.

Oh look, I'm back on topic . I too initially thought that House was a goner after the roof caved in and pleasantly surprised when Wilson got his text.

Finishing up with some Louis Prima was a particular piece of magic for me too. Not the greatest of House episodes but certainly a fitting way to end it.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

December 5, 2012 2:52 pm  #49

You don't have to apologise but it's great to meet you after all this time.

Thank you very much, I'm very fond of the covers, too. They're just working on the next one.

I heard so much about Fry and Laurie and must watch them one day. I saw them first on Kenneth Branagh "Peter's Friends" which I liked very much.

I didn't believe that he'd die the moment I read the German title of the episode. It somehow comforted me. 

And the song at the end was wonderful. 

December 5, 2012 2:58 pm  #50

m0r1arty wrote:

...as I'm a bit of a Wodehouse fan.

I just finished reading Love Among the Chickens on my Kindle. Not Wodehouse's best work, but hilarious nonetheless.

Sorry to be off topic; never seen "House", though not for lack of interest. Need to make time...

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

December 5, 2012 3:08 pm  #51

I hardly follow any TV series but I got hooked on "House" - even before I knew of the Sherlock Holmes connection. 

December 5, 2012 5:44 pm  #52

kazza474 wrote:

Lelli wrote:

The character of House was inspired in part by ACD's Sherlock Holmes.

- We start with the name "Holmes" (pronounced homes) = House
- They have only one real friend : Watson = Wilson
- Both characters are consulted on cases too hard for others.
- Both use 'strange' methods of deduction & arrive at the answer long before most have understood the question.
- Both have a 'usage issue' with drugs Holmes - mainly Cocaine; House - mainly Vicodin
- Both play musical instruments quite well. Holmes - violin; House - piano & others
- Both have their best friend as a room mate at one stage.
- Both best friends are 'ladies' men' but never to the point that it interferes with the main relationship with Holmes/House.
- The drug use by Holmes was increased during times of 'non activity' with cases; such is the case with House also.

Let's look at some more nods to the canon by the writers:

- House lives in apartment 221B Baker Street

- The patient in the series pilot was named Rebecca Adler.
- in one episode (No Reason), House is shot by a man named Moriarty.
- in one episode (Whac-A-Mole) House puts the answer to something in an envelope & writes on the envelope " The game is an itchy foot" ( similar to "The Game is afoot)
- In the episode 'Joy to The World'; Wilson buys House a book as a Xmas gift. It's an historical medical text by Dr Joseph Bell. (Bell is the inspiration for ACD's original Holmes character)  Also, when House throws the book away, Wilson makes up a story to hide the real reason and explains to others that it was given to House by "his Irene Adler" , suggesting that the gift was actually from a woman who was loved by House but 'outsmarted' him.

- Oh and of course, both have similar attitudes to others. Anti-social narcissists who basically negate other people's opinions (except that of their best friends) & really don't care for others in their chosen field of study.

So your friend had it partly 'right' ; the 2 shows are connected, but Holmes was definitely the inspiration for HOUSE, not the other way around.

Yes, of course not... that wouldn't even work... Sherlock Holmes is way older than House... She just thought the BBC sherlock might have connections with house... like they're both sociopaths and stuff... But anyway not what I think... I think the BBC Sherlock series are more a heavenly gift presented to us by Moftiss... ^^

December 23, 2012 11:04 pm  #53

An article about all the House and SH connections:

http://house.wikia.com/wiki/Gregory_House_and_Sherlock_Holmes_connections

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

November 8, 2013 10:52 am  #54

A bit of Fry & Laurie:

Funny Vet Scene

Stephen: Tommy-Toe; Tommy-Toe
Hugh: To-mah-to

Kickin' Ass

Guess what the chorus is like

Hugh: Kickin ass
Stephen: kickin aaass

April 6, 2014 11:39 pm  #55

I'm late to the party, just started watching House (half way through season 2 now). What an amazing show! It'll certainly fill the void for another... well, a couple of weeks or so. As is my thing, I did a painting. http://i.imgur.com/7aqjm3t.png

April 7, 2014 5:51 am  #56

Great painting Ape.
I love this show. I sometimes wish I could get away with this sort of outragous bed side manner. lol

April 7, 2014 7:32 am  #57

As some of you might already have deduced I loved this show very much
It was best IMO with the very first team and got weaker the moment he "casted" the second team and I'm sorry to say that it got a bit out of hand towards the end...
Liked the friendship with Wilson very much. And Cuddy was just adorable.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

April 7, 2014 5:26 pm  #58

I must agree. Towards the end they were running out of ideas a bit and they came up with some radiculous stuff. I think the medical mysetery side of thing in particular deteriorated over time. I still love it though.

April 9, 2014 1:00 am  #59

I never thought diagnosing mysterious illnesses was quite the same as solving crimes. And I guess I don't think it's the same when both members of the pair are in the same profession. I prefer them to have different skill sets.

And House is REALLY snarky and  mean to everyone, and professes not to like people, and Wilson is supposed to be "the nice one" yet knows how to snark back and/or get back with practical jokes. At first I went, "that's not anything like Holmes and Watson," because I was thinking of canon and Granada. But now I think House and Wilson are a lot like BBC's Sherlock and John.

And of course, House and Wilson have been slashed out the wazoo by fans. There is an episode where a neighbor (an attractive woman whom Wilson would like to date) thinks they are a couple, House uses this to try to get her in bed, and Wilson foils House's plan by publicly proposing to House.

And the finale of the series was a slasher's dream - though it didn't make sense in a lot of ways.

March 5, 2015 11:47 pm  #60

Reviving an old thread here, but... I LOVED House when it first aired. I haven't seen more than the first four or something seasons, but it's not because I didn't like it anymore. This was actually my first introduction to tv Holmes. My only knowledge of Sherlock Holmes before that (apart from the books I hadn't read) was Basil Mouse.

I loved House. I loved his rudness, his arrogance, his straight-forward manner, his intelligence, his logic, his black humor, his clear vulnerablilty within all this... I think he pawed the way to Sherlock, for me. And I think that is why I have no trouble accepting Sherlock (without excusing him), warts and all. House IS arrogant, he IS rude, he behaves HORRIBLE more times than I can count - and I love him for it. Just like Sherlock. 

Last edited by Vhanja (March 5, 2015 11:48 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

Board footera