BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 9, 2014 9:45 pm  #21

Re: "Mary will remain in series 4"

Willow wrote:

mrshouse wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

They would NEVER give up the narrative possiblities they'd lose if she was dead when Series 4 started.

Good point, tonnaree.
But the most intruiging question for mofftiss would be then: is it more interessting to be a tragic figure or a smooth, doting (boring?) one...?

Well, they have also ruled out having a lethal killer nurse following S&J around shooting anyone who might conceivably be a threat to our heroes, and that makes perfect sense; it would destroy the show. How they can prevent that happening is an interesting question; Mary is not good at taking advice, and will be only too aware that she has forfeited any place in investigations because she has sat in the clients chair.

I suspect also that John's reference to whether 'we' want you is not going to sit well with Mary long term. It is one thing to be nice to a rival that is getting on a plane and unlikely to ever return, and a very different thing to have someone constantly around the place reminding people by his very presence that she nearly killed him.

And, of course, the people who want her dead still exist; they don't miraculously disappear because CAM is dead. She is still vulnerable to discovery, and the only thing which could prevent that is going into something like a Witness Protection Scheme. But I think we are going to learn a lot more about who Mary really is before they kill her off

It struck me that Mary dying in the process of some kind of confrontation with CAM, or trick to bring him down, would have been the tidiest solution...TOO tidy for Moffit and Gattis. Agatha Christie often works like that: someone who has killed in the past dies saving someone or conforting the Murderer of the Week. 

Or Mary could have gone on the mission they were going to send Sherlock on...but then there would be a lot of "oh yeah, sacrifice the woman so the men can have a relationship" flak. However, Mary conveniently died in canon when Doyle wanted to reunite Holmes and Watson.

February 10, 2014 7:48 am  #22

I don't trust Moffat for a second!

But I hope she gets to stay a bit; I really need to see Sherlock handle a baby! They can't deprive us of that can they?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 5, 2014 5:58 pm  #23

Erm, guys, anyone read Mark Gatiss tweed about the Baby?? Eeek...
Is this an announcement?😞

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

April 5, 2014 7:02 pm  #24

Which tweet do you mean? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 5, 2014 7:08 pm  #25

He tweeted something about delayed works on s4 due to the baby, might habe been an Aprils joke though. But on twitter I saw a gif of mark  at an q&a in Brazil, my mobile unfortunately didn't deliver it fully but it was about a dog for John Watson and he answered they would have a" bloody baby" on the show.

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

April 5, 2014 7:15 pm  #26

I just looked at Mark's Twitter timeline, and I can't see any recent posts about Sherlock series 4... ??? A link or screenshot would be helpful...

April 5, 2014 7:20 pm  #27

Argh, I'm bad at that, but check tumble hash tag mark gatiss, should come across there.

April 5, 2014 8:44 pm  #28

How am I supposed to handle this?

April 5, 2014 8:55 pm  #29

1st of april...
It's an aprils fool and about the q&a I saw the video, it was a joke...

Last edited by zeratul (April 5, 2014 8:56 pm)

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

April 5, 2014 10:21 pm  #30

I hope she remains. I love Amanda and I love Mary. Not sure about Mary and John's baby, but I hope they tread carefully with that. 

I want no more drama or tears from John. Someone else turn now. XD

Last edited by LoveIsAViciousMotivator (April 5, 2014 10:32 pm)

April 5, 2014 10:37 pm  #31

Mrs. Hudson could be a nanny for the baby ^^

April 5, 2014 10:39 pm  #32

She's a bit old!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 5, 2014 10:51 pm  #33

Oldies but goldies ;)

April 6, 2014 12:14 am  #34

I like Mary and I'm glad to hear this ^^

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

April 6, 2014 8:44 am  #35

I'm not glad. Don't like Mary and if they stay I hope with as little screen time as possible, don't want three and a half leads. Too many smart people in one room.
Like Amanda though, no doubt.

April 6, 2014 12:34 pm  #36

mrshouse wrote:

I'm not glad. Don't like Mary and if they stay I hope with as little screen time as possible, don't want three and a half leads. Too many smart people in one room.
Like Amanda though, no doubt.

Funny, isn't it. Everybody is super clever or at least a psychopath.
We have Mycroft who is apparently clever. Mary, too. CAM has a mind palace. Mrs. Holmes is a genuis anyway. If Moriarty comes back it looks as if Sherlock is supposed to be the stupid one to struggle his way through the next series. And I bet the Watson-baby will be a genius, too.
Where are all the "ordinary" people I have to cope with in real life?

April 6, 2014 2:00 pm  #37

On this forum, dear😜...

April 6, 2014 2:04 pm  #38

Neither John nor Mary are geniuses- they are clever because they have to be to survive in their chosen professions, but clever isn't "genius".  Mycroft and Sherlock are, as well as Moriarty and Magnussen, but genius attracts genius, so it's not unlikely that they would meet up in their hyper-realistic world.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

April 6, 2014 2:28 pm  #39

Hyper-realistic? As in over-realistic?
Quite the contrary if you ask me. Nothing is more improbable or impossible than everything that happens in series 3.
When the Watson-baby appears in Series 4 I am ready to believe in pink unicorns living on the back side of the moon. Just as Sherlock pirouetting in the middle of the wedding or the elephant in 221 B or Mary shooting a coin in a dark room or surgery or a six month old skeleton or a blue air bag or Anderson being a fan of Sherlock's or Moriarty and Sherlock kissing on the roof or Sherlock revealing himself to John in public or John telling Sherlock that the game is over or Sherlock being a murderer or John being Mr. Psychopath.

April 6, 2014 3:38 pm  #40

Be wrote:

Hyper-realistic? As in over-realistic?
Quite the contrary if you ask me. Nothing is more improbable or impossible than everything that happens in series 3.
When the Watson-baby appears in Series 4 I am ready to believe in pink unicorns living on the back side of the moon. Just as Sherlock pirouetting in the middle of the wedding or the elephant in 221 B or Mary shooting a coin in a dark room or surgery or a six month old skeleton or a blue air bag or Anderson being a fan of Sherlock's or Moriarty and Sherlock kissing on the roof or Sherlock revealing himself to John in public or John telling Sherlock that the game is over or Sherlock being a murderer or John being Mr. Psychopath.

I am using the term that Gatiss and Moffat themselves use to describe the world of Sherlock.  And 'hyper-realistic' doesn't mean that the things that happen in Sherlocks world are impossible...it means that while something COULD happen in our world, it is not very likely.  Things like perfect cell phone reception whereever one goes, or being able to take cabs to and from everywhere.  A string of coincidences which would not likely happen in our world will happen in Sherlock's.  And the very fact that Sherlock's super power is his ability to make guesses about someone and be right more than wrong is hyper-realistic.  He may be a genius, but he couldn't possibly do what he does in the real work and have his success rate.  I have absolutely no problem with this world...it's fun and I can sink my teeth into it.  But yes, it is hyper-realistic.

Last edited by sj4iy (April 6, 2014 3:39 pm)

Board footera