BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 6, 2014 10:00 am  #1

The Hollow Crown: The Wars of the Roses (was "Richard III")

Thought I'd start this now that's it's all confirmed!!

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

April 6, 2014 10:08 am  #2

Re: The Hollow Crown: The Wars of the Roses (was "Richard III")

The Hollow Crown was brilliant. I am so happy that he is going to pay such a fascinating part in the next series. Truly what I had hoped for. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 6, 2014 10:12 am  #3

And for those of you who'd like to 'prepare' for it, I can really, really recommend "Looking for Richard", a sort of documentary film of "Richard III". It's by Al Pacino, he also plays Richard, and it's a mixture of scenes from the play and of Pacino walking the streets and asking passersby about the play, of Pacino talking to historians and experts and much more. It's quite entertaining and at the same time educational. Among other things, this film made me a huge fan of the play.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 6, 2014 10:15 am  #4

"Looking for Richard" is very amusing, although I was always thinking about it as "the American way of reading Shakespeare". For me the best Richard III so far is Ian Mckellen in Loncrain's film from 1995 - a must see!But oh, I am so happy about these news!

April 6, 2014 10:19 am  #5

I'm so truly excited about this. It's not gonna be a swoon fest rather a really display of what Ben can REALLY do.

For A taste of Hollow Crown action (for those who may not have seen it before) here's a link to Tom Hiddlestone's Henry V....

http://youtu.be/THEUKVOb73A

The direction is superb and that is going to allow a Benedict to completely shine. This is a match made in heaven.

I'm clueing for looks

April 6, 2014 10:25 am  #6

And let us not forget Ben Whishaw's Richard II:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXGkbBbXVSA

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 6, 2014 10:35 am  #7

miriel68 wrote:

"Looking for Richard" is very amusing, although I was always thinking about it as "the American way of reading Shakespeare".

That's true, and that's also what Pacino says, in somewhat other words, at one point in the film.
And he's got a point, because I really believe that Americans often feel a bit cautious towards Shakespeare. And that's true for so many people - and it's totally unnecessary. You don't have to understand every single word, you just have to be willing to lean back and feel something. And you will be swept away.

Last edited by SolarSystem (April 6, 2014 10:35 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

April 6, 2014 10:36 am  #8

Cannot wait! All I want to know now is - when.when,when,when,when?! ;)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

April 6, 2014 10:40 am  #9

Hopefully they'll shoot it this year and will air it early next year... well, wishful thinking...

April 6, 2014 10:41 am  #10

Totally agree with Solar in that people need to get into the story, rather than being cautious of Shakespeare's language.
And with Clare - It will definitely be no swoon fest - just Benedict doing what he does best

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

April 6, 2014 10:58 am  #11

Well his ability to play afflicted characters is unbelievable (Hawking, James, Van Gogh).

No doubt i shall cry for him when I see it.

I'm clueing for looks

April 6, 2014 2:45 pm  #12

'A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse.' Another excuse to see a great actor doing a bit of riding. It will all end in tears you know! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 6, 2014 3:05 pm  #13

I hear it's pencilled for early 2016!!!! What does that mean for Sherlock??

I'm clueing for looks

April 6, 2014 3:37 pm  #14

How exciting!!!   I am very intrigued at the thought of comparing and contrasting Martin and Ben both as Richard the III.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 6, 2014 4:10 pm  #15

clareiow wrote:

I hear it's pencilled for early 2016!!!! What does that mean for Sherlock??

Oh no!!!! I'm so excited for this - why the long wait? I'm seriously sulking now!
I really have no clue when Sherlock might be back either - everything is very cloak and dagger at the moment, it seems!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

April 7, 2014 1:50 pm  #16

I think it makes sense - 2016 will be Shakespeare year, therefore it will get more publicity, although, given that Hamlet has been pushed to 2015 in theory they could film it this year in autumn...

April 7, 2014 2:58 pm  #17

If they film this in chronological order, his film will be the last in the trilogy. So I wonder when they will to this and what else is on his agenda. And let me say again how very happy I am for him that he can do another dream part of his. 

April 7, 2014 3:27 pm  #18

I'm not familiar with the complete trilogy to be honest - I'm reading Richard iii now, then I'll read them all chronologically.
Does Richard appear at all in the previous plays? Or only by name?
I'm thrilled he's been cast in this, and despite my worries about the apparent lack of anything to film this year, I feel a sense of relief, too, because he's still being true to himself
I've no doubt he could be filming something right now, if he was prepared to take anything he was offered.
If he chooses to do personal appearances and award ceremonies whilst waiting for the perfect role, rather than appear in sub quality Movies, then I've decided I'm glad about that and I'll just have to wait impatiently to see him perform again! ;)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

April 7, 2014 3:42 pm  #19

"Henry VI" consists of three parts and is usually grouped as a tetralogy with "Richard III" which continues the story of "Henry VI". 

If I am correct, Richard does not appear as a character in the 1st part. 
In the 2nd part he is nicely introduced as "Crookback Richard" and has a speaking part. 
In the 3rd part his also present as a full character. 

So if we are lucky might get the chance to see him in three of four films. In "The Hollow Crown" Tom Hiddleston played his character in three films, too, while Henry IV was played by two different actors, Rory Kinnear and Jeremy Irons. 

Btw, it is interesting how Richard has usually been played by middle-aged or older men. He was only 32 when he died. 

Last edited by SusiGo (April 7, 2014 3:47 pm)

April 7, 2014 3:49 pm  #20

Thanks Susi I'm guessing then (or hoping!) he'll be in all of them.
I wonder if he'll have to grow his hair for the part too - since Richard is portrayed with longer hair?
If so, they may as well film Sherlock around the same time! ;)

Last edited by Tinks (April 7, 2014 3:50 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

Board footera