BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 27, 2012 12:41 pm  #1

Kinda technical, friendly warning really.

Have you all checked your computers for the DNS Changer?

It's not a scam/hoax or any kind of trick but it's not widely known about & it will cost you time offline while you get it sorted out.

Here is a link to the official site dealing with it:

http://www.dcwg.org/detect/

Here's a brief outline:
"What is the DNS Changer Malware?
On November 8, the FBI, the NASA-OIG and Estonian police arrested several cyber criminals in “Operation Ghost Click" . The criminals operated under the company name “Rove Digital" , and distributed DNS changing viruses, variously known as TDSS, Alureon, TidServ and TDL4 viruses. You can read more about the arrest of the Rove Digital principals here, and in the FBI Press Release.

What does the DNS Changer Malware do?
The botnet operated by Rove Digital altered user DNS settings, pointing victims to malicious DNS in data centers in Estonia, New York, and Chicago. The malicious DNS servers would give fake, malicious answers, altering user searches, and promoting fake and dangerous products. Because every web search starts with DNS, the malware showed users an altered version of the Internet.

Under a court order, expiring July 9, the Internet Systems Consortium is operating replacement DNS servers for the Rove Digital network. This will allow affected networks time to identify infected hosts, and avoid sudden disruption of services to victim machines.

How Can I Protect Myself?
This page describes how you can determine if you are infected,...."

DETECT

With less than 2 weeks to go, I thought it worth while popping this up for you all to read.

It is legitimate. It is up to you to do what you wish with it.

Here is the original FBI Page dealing with this

and I just noticed what Mycroft thinks of it (below) he could be sorry.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 27, 2012 2:34 pm  #2

Re: Kinda technical, friendly warning really.

Thanks for the posting Kazza. I will be checking.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera