BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 26, 2013 10:10 pm  #1

What films in the pipeline are you keen to see?

So...what films that are in the offing (great phrase that) are you keen to see? Why? When are they due out? Stuff like that...

Already included in the Benedict non-Sherlock thread is: 12 Years a Slave. This is due out late December 2013 in the US and January, I hope, in the UK. I am looking forward to it because the cast is really, incredibly strong (Benedict, Fassbender, Pitt, Ejiofor etc.) and the director Steve McQueen is, in my opinion, a genius. I have loved his other films 'Hunger' and 'Shame' neither of which are for the faint-hearted (IRA Hunger Strike and Sex-addiction). I know that the cinematography/imagery will be stunning, the acting will be amazing and the general impact will be challenging and edgy. This will be, I anticipate and very much hope, a film which will be in the running for, and deserving of, Oscars.

Another film I am very much looking forward to is: The Counselor which is directed by Ridley Scott. I really hope that he will be back on top 'Gladiator/Bladerunner form for this film. Again a strong cast (Pitt, Fassbender, Diaz, Cruz, Bardem) and a wonderful Pulitzer Prizewinning writer Cormac McCarthy. The premise of the story seems to be strong. The first trailer has just been released and it is inticing. Initial release date November 15 2013. As a side note, the filming was suspended for a week in September last year when Ridley Scott's brother, Tony, committed suicide. 

So, you lot, what films are you looking forward to seeing?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 26, 2013 10:28 pm  #2

Re: What films in the pipeline are you keen to see?

"when Ridley Scott's brother, Tony, committed suicide."

>> Oh, yeah, that, I remember... He committed suicide on August.19, the day that my husband (also called Tony!) died after three weeks of intensive care which followed his last suicide attempt...

Anyway, your topic makes me realise that I have strictly no idea of what movies are in the offing... Apart from Harry Potter 7 part 1 & 2 and The Hobbit, the only movies I've seen since 2009 are things like Sammy 2, Hotel Transylvania, the Croods... Ah, the joy of being a parent with no one around to babysit your kid... lol.

I'm actually gutted because I had finally found a way to go and watch Star Trek tomorrow (only for Benedict I must admit, as I hate Sci Fi and have no idea what star trek is on about, hehe) so I've just checked on my local cinema's website and today was the last day the movie was broadcasted... No comment.......

Last edited by Punch me in the face (June 26, 2013 10:29 pm)

Just like old times...

June 27, 2013 12:02 am  #3

The World's End. Does it could as in the pipeline if it's just about to be released?
I'm interested in seeing 12 Years a Slave too. Not just for Benedict's performance... honest.

================================================================

June 27, 2013 6:14 am  #4

I just watched "Hunger" so I'm very keen on "12 Years" to see how Steve McQueen will combine his sparse and demanding style with a period setting. And I'm very excited about the cast as well. 

I'm also looking forward to "The Fifth Estate" the subject matter having become relevant again by the Edward Snowden affair. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 27, 2013 10:59 am  #5

Of course it counts Michele.

I'll try to flag up other films I spot on their way through pre-production/production/post-production and release. Maybe the rest of us who are filmophiles can be the same?

I am interested to see The Fifth Estate too, as much for the subject matter as Benedict.

You survived 'Hunger' then Susi! Gruelling but brilliant! Such an eye for composition. The scene with the guard having a smoke in the snow and the sweeping up the urine. Wow! That long dialogue in the middle... How did you find their accents?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 27, 2013 12:12 pm  #6

I am going to add the new Lone Ranger film. I adored the original when I was a wee girl. Hi, ho, Silver...Away! Also Behind the Candelabra with Michael Douglas and Matt Damon. It has had very strong reviews.
Also Man of Steel- reboot of the Superman franchise but again has had a good response from critics.

Last edited by Davina (June 27, 2013 12:16 pm)

June 27, 2013 4:53 pm  #7

The World's End - I've loved all of Simon Pegg's movies
The Hobbit: DOS - obviously
12 Years a Slave - I love period pieces, and I'm excited to see one set in the US
Akira - I always loved the anime version, I'm hoping that the live action version will do it justice

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

June 27, 2013 5:22 pm  #8

The World's End and The Fifth Estate.
The Hobbit - of course. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 28, 2013 4:07 am  #9

Oh yeah. Of course The Hobbit. Not just for Sherlocky related reasons. Seriously cannot wait for that! Bring on more Middle Earth goodness.

Related I can't wait to hear Benedict get his teeth into Smaug. Just make sure I'm sitting down so I don't swoon too hard

================================================================

March 27, 2014 11:43 pm  #10

Point me in the direction of and films starring Ben & Martin and I am happy bunny.

*I seriously need locked up. or sherlocked up.  Ok bahave now*

Benedict Cumberbatch

"So, I am human, I’m not as tall as people think I am... I’m nice-ish, clever, important to some people, but I tend to rub them up the wrong way."

March 28, 2014 7:32 am  #11

Crimson Tide, Macbeth, Prometheus 2 (if it gets off the ground).....

March 28, 2014 7:39 am  #12

The Imitation Game

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

March 30, 2014 12:40 pm  #13

The next Avengers movie...they are filming it now. X-Men: Days of Future Past...truly, madly, deeply excited about this!

March 30, 2014 12:56 pm  #14

Davina wrote:

The next Avengers movie...they are filming it now. X-Men: Days of Future Past...truly, madly, deeply excited about this!

I look forward to that as well. :D Mind you I still haven't manged to see the Winter Solgier. Hopefully next week.

April 3, 2014 7:53 am  #15

Davina wrote:

Same here. The trailer I saw recently looked promising.

Other films I'm looking forward to...

"A Long Way Down"
"Yves Saint Laurent"
And "Crimson Peak", of course. But there's still a long way to go...

You get so alone at times that it just makes sense.

(Charles Bukowski)

April 3, 2014 11:59 am  #16

A long, long way to go! 

April 3, 2014 12:09 pm  #17

Indeed.

But it's always good to have something to look forward to.

You get so alone at times that it just makes sense.

(Charles Bukowski)

April 4, 2014 7:20 pm  #18

Indeed!

April 21, 2014 4:52 pm  #19

Locke...just about being released. Got mostly rave reviews on Front Row. The fact that it has Tom Hardy in the lead might have swayed my view...a bit! 

April 22, 2014 9:15 am  #20

One of the upcoming films in the veeery nearby future I'm keen to see is 'How to train your dragon 2'. The first film was quite good so I'm curious on the sequel :]

The Road goes ever on and on...

Board footera