BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 2, 2014 3:46 pm  #81

Re: German air date

I will give them a chance at least.  And also in IMO the titles are ok.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

April 2, 2014 4:46 pm  #82

Like it or not: The dubbed episodes will at least provide lots of discussion material for the following 18 months...;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 3, 2014 8:43 am  #83

You're absolutely right, tobe. And I really have to say that I can't wait to watch it, because I'm so curious about so many scenes and what they will come up with. Can't wait to discuss it with all of you.
And btw, this has nothing to do with bashing or anything, I just think it's a very interesting topic. I came to love "Sherlock" through watching it on German television, so the dubbing probably wasn't all that bad. S3 for me was the first series I first watched in English, so it probably will feel very different to watch the dubbed version now that I already know the original version almost by heart.

Last edited by SolarSystem (April 3, 2014 8:48 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 3, 2014 10:06 am  #84

Well yeah, I also watched the first 2 ones in German... But the original is so much better!
Also I cannot stand dubbings in general now, because recently I watched everything in the original version...

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

April 3, 2014 10:14 am  #85

I've been watching movies (and also some tv shows) in the original version for years now, and of course that's always far better than a dubbed version. The voice of an actor is a very important instrument, and you will never have the same effect with a dubbing actor, however good he might be.
And in the end, there is no obligation to watch S3 in the dubbed version if you can't stand it. I'll watch it out of curiosity and because I know that we will have interesting discussions about it afterwards.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

April 3, 2014 10:17 am  #86

SolarSystem wrote:

I've been watching movies (and also some tv shows) in the original version for years now, and of course that's always far better than a dubbed version. The voice of an actor is a very important instrument, and you will never have the same effect with a dubbing actor, however good he might be.
And in the end, there is no obligation to watch S3 in the dubbed version if you can't stand it. I'll watch it out of curiosity and because I know that we will have interesting discussions about it afterwards.

Yes. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

April 3, 2014 10:17 am  #87

Yes same reason, I'm curious and want to discuss the translations...

April 3, 2014 10:19 am  #88

Same with me, Solar. And we should remember that we are lucky to understand so much of the original that we do not fully have to rely on subtitles. But imagine you do not understand much English, try to take in the quick cuts of this extremely fast-paced show and have to read the subtitles as well … 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 3, 2014 10:27 am  #89

Susi, yes. I often have discussions about it with my boyfriend, and at one point he always says: "Imagine watching a Japanese or a Spanish movie and you don't understand a single word and have to rely on all the subtitles - would that be so much fun?" And he has a point. For most of us it's pretty easy to follow English or Amercian movies in the original version because our English is comparably good. So it's easy for me to say "Who needs dubbing?". But then it's quite comfortable for me to watch dubbed movies from Italy or France or.... see what I mean?

April 3, 2014 10:38 am  #90

Hubby and me watch all English movies in English, mostly with English subtitles. Except when I'm tired. Then we watch the dubbed version. 

April 3, 2014 11:14 am  #91

If only I could convince mine … 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 3, 2014 11:48 am  #92

Hmm I like finnish tv, it has everything in the original with subs ;).
Well to be honest, they are too few people (5 Million) for dubbing, but a friend of mine learned most of his English from tv...

April 3, 2014 1:02 pm  #93

Well, whole Scandinavia has it, I think. But then the subtitles are Scandinavian, too, which doesn't help that much.
But it is nice to watch movies in the hotel e.g. in Sweden AND be able to understand them. 

April 3, 2014 1:55 pm  #94

Yeah I mean it is nice that they do not dubb ;). I think they do for children movies...
I used to watch M*A*S*H with finnish subs just for fun makes me learn some new finnish words, but my finnish is still veeeeeeery bad.
I have watched Robin Hood and Be kind rewind in finnish cinema ^^ was fun.

April 24, 2014 7:35 am  #95

Hi ladies, I'm online for a moment and wanted to tell you that late yesterday evening I saw a trailer for Sherlock on ARD. They mixed up scenes from all three series, and if I'm not very much mistaken for a second there they more or less showed Mary pointing the gun at Sherlock. I hope I'll see it again, because I'd really like to know for sure... they'd be complete idiots if they showed that in a trailer, for crying out loud...!
Furthermore, I also think that Sherlock still uses the "Sie" when he'a talking to John. They showed a short moment from the "Admit it, you've missed this"-scene, and once again I could be wrong (it was late, I was tired), but I think Sherlock said something along the lines of "Sie haben es vermisst"...  

At least Sherlock has got his usual German Sherlock voice...

April 24, 2014 7:41 am  #96

Solar ... you are here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the rest ... seems they do everything wrong again. Unbelievable.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

April 24, 2014 7:42 am  #97

Nooo! Showing that scene … how could they … Hi, Solar. Nice to see you. 

April 24, 2014 7:44 am  #98

Yes, but I'll be gone again in a few minutes... but I'll make sure to pay the forum a visit again tonight or maybe tomorrow.

And yes... the trailer in itself looks rather good, I have to admit, I think it's almost a minute long and they've put some effort into it. But it seems they always mess up something...

April 24, 2014 7:45 am  #99

SusiGo wrote:

Nooo! Showing that scene … how could they … Hi, Solar. Nice to see you. 

It's really only for about two seconds and you have to look very closely... but I think you could recognize her... 

April 24, 2014 7:46 am  #100

To show the scene with Mary pointing a gun at Sherlock isn't very clever.

And the "Sie" again? Sh ...

(Tony Hadley)

Board footera