BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 24, 2012 6:18 am  #1

I don't care if he's a fictional character, i still want to marry him.

This is an ecard that my sister-in-law sent to me. I can't get it onto this site (computer luddite) but I thought it might prompt some ideas.
And Sherlock or John don't count unless you use ACD's characters!

My choice is David Powlwtt-Jones from To Serve Them All My Days by R.F Delderfield. He is a schoolteacher in England in the early 20th century and just about the perfect man, for me, anyway.

Last edited by hepzibah (June 24, 2012 6:20 am)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

June 24, 2012 6:10 pm  #2

Re: I don't care if he's a fictional character, i still want to marry him.

Wow, I really don't know to be honest...

Probably the Doctor (10th Doctor)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 25, 2012 8:22 pm  #3

Oh god, how could I possible choose one?
Okay, since the possibility that any of those people is going to marry me, I name a few I would immediately say yes to...
- The Doctor - of course, that man has a freaking TIME MACHINE!
- Rory Slippery? I mean, he's Benedict and incredibly nice and caring.
- Connor Temple from Primeval. 'Nuff said.
- Zack Fair from Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII. He's hot and adorable.
- Peter Petrelli from Heroes. (hot!)
- Topher Brink from Dollhouse... Castiel from Supernatural!
Ah, screw this, I guess I would marry any of the characters Benedict played, 'cause, let's face it... they have the physique of Benedict-freaking-Cumberbatch!

June 25, 2012 8:48 pm  #4

I hope it's ok to bring some male perspective unto this thread.

- Dana Scully from the X-Files. She's cute, she's strong, I could debate with her about religion all day long and make her an atheist. Plus in one episode she made a bad-ass roundhouse kick in Mulder's imagination.
- Princess Leia  from Star Wars. Those buns, man. Those buns.
- Jess from New Girl. She sings for no reason, she's absolutely adorable, she's goofy in a good way and has great hair. Plus I love Zooey Deschanel.
- Rita from Groundhog Day. She's adorable, she just pure woman. She likes french poetry. She looks amazing when it snows. If she'll have Phil, why wouldn't she have me.
- Sally from When Harry Met Sally. That scene where she faked an orgasm. Who wouldn't have fallen in love with her after that.
- "Girl" (Marketa Irglova) from the movie Once. She plays the piano, she's cute, she has a sexy accent and she's not too easy. I totally would've gotten her a piano myself.

@Sammy - It's funny you should say Castiel. I'm just watching an episode of Supernatural (I'm on season 5) and every time Dean says "Sammy" it reminds me of you.

Last edited by Dramagod (June 25, 2012 8:56 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 25, 2012 9:10 pm  #5

I can't just say one, so there I go:

- The Doctor... but just for a while. I don't think I could grow old watching him regenerating again and again.
- Han Solo (my childhood crush).
- Don Vito Corleone (in his young version, I mean De Niro, of course. Though I love Brando's interpretation, but he would be a bit too old for me).
- Laszlo Almasy (I think his is one of the most beautiful love stories I've ever read/seen)
- Lucius Cornelius Sullae (I know he was real and existed, but I love the character Colleen MacCullough created in her books. Though he was a bit of a bastard, but... I enjoyed each page, anyway).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 25, 2012 11:17 pm  #6

Irene Adler wrote:

- The Doctor... but just for a while. I don't think I could grow old watching him regenerating again and again.
- Don Vito Corleone (in his young version, I mean De Niro, of course. Though I love Brando's interpretation, but he would be a bit too old for me).
- Laszlo Almasy (I think his is one of the most beautiful love stories I've ever read/seen)
- Lucius Cornelius Sullae (I know he was real and existed, but I love the character Colleen MacCullough created in her books. Though he was a bit of a bastard, but... I enjoyed each page, anyway).

Han Solo or Indiana Jones!

June 26, 2012 6:45 am  #7

veecee wrote:

Irene Adler wrote:

Han Solo or Indiana Jones!

I love Indiana (well, I think I love Harrison Ford, in fact) but my true fictional character love was always Han Solo. I'm a huge Star Wars fan 

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 26, 2012 8:34 am  #8

It's funny, when I started this topic, I was thinking of characters in books  but you guys took it to mean movie and TV characters! Just shows how different minds work. Anyway, it is interesting to see who we like.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

June 26, 2012 9:36 am  #9

hepzibah wrote:

It's funny, when I started this topic, I was thinking of characters in books  but you guys took it to mean movie and TV characters! Just shows how different minds work. Anyway, it is interesting to see who we like.

I know... but you can see, three of my characters come from books. I read The English Patient long before I saw the movie and I loved Laszlo long before it became Mr Fiennes. And The Godfather... well, I loved the movie and then read the book, but that's one of the rare cases of a movie surpassing the original material. And Lucius Sullae... I've never seen a movie with a good portrait of him (maybe there is one, but I haven't seen it) and I love the character in the book. 

June 26, 2012 10:40 am  #10

This is a tough one. So many delicious men over the years. How does one narrow it down?

I had a major thing for Desmond Hume (Henry Ian Cusick) on LOST.

How about Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant) in North by Northwest?

James Bond? Sean Connery only please!

John Lloyd Sullivan (Joel McCrea) in Sullivan's Travels

Number 6 (Patrick McGoohan) in The Prisoner

Jeff Bailey (Robert Mitchum) in Out of the Past

Fred Derry (Dana Andrews) The Best Years of Our Lives

Joe Gillis (William Holden) in Sunset Boulevard

I could go on and on and on and...

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 26, 2012 10:49 am  #11

Oh, I loved Desmond Hume in Lost, the way be called everyone "Brother". For some reason, I found that incredibky sexy!

Just thought of another man I love - Atticus Finch from To Kill A Mockingbird, both the book version and the Gregory Peck movie version.
Love me some Gregory Peck 

FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

June 26, 2012 4:18 pm  #12

@Dramagod: Yeah, that's why I love it when he calls Sam like that :D
Jess is very adorable, indeed! I like her because I also often just sing what I'm doing at the moment, haha..

When I was young, I was totally into Bray from The Tribe

@hepizibah: Don't forget video games! I left out any Anime/Manga characters though, or my list would have been to long, haha..

June 26, 2012 4:26 pm  #13

Sammy wrote:

@Dramagod: Yeah, that's why I love it when he calls Sam like that :D
Jess is very adorable, indeed! I like her because I also often just sing what I'm doing at the moment, haha..

When I was young, I was totally into Bray from The Tribe

@hepizibah: Don't forget video games! I left out any Anime/Manga characters though, or my list would have been to long, haha..

I know what you mean. I could totally marry every character from the "Dead Or Alive" beat-up games, hah.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 27, 2012 12:12 am  #14

Oh, Desmond Hume : ), he was the primary reason why I kept watching Lost.
Geraden from Mordant's Need by Stephen R. Donaldson. By the end of the series, I was totally in love with the character.
Kaidan Alenko from the video game Mass Effect. He is so adorable.
Thane Krios from Mass Effect 2. I don't care if he is an alien and look like a lizard, he is really sexy and I love his voice : ).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

Board footera