BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 30, 2014 11:30 am  #1201

Re: Free Rants

I totally support people with mental health issues being helped back into jobs, but my friend will never be fit for a job because of her diagnosis (sadly). She would like to work... but at least she has all of her projects going on! 

I heard some funny stories about the dictation system as well! But to be fair, some of the little dictation I did while at school was really hard; lots and lots of rewinding and wondering 'She said what??'. but I still believe a real person will always be better than a machine! I know the doctor who pretty much ran the childrens ward and had started the whole Childhood Obesity treatment program (He's on TV here a lot actually) over here wouldn't even touch the electronic dictation at all. So there's still hope for secretaries!

Okay another silly rant... I wrote a poem on Facebook and it actually turned out all right. Someone on my friendslist shared it; which is fine. But they tagged it 'American History'... which doesn't make any sense

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 30, 2014 12:57 pm  #1202

@nutrition: Do you know the blog "a girl called Jack"? Very tasty and varied recipes at very low cost (like less than 1£/serving).

@daylight saving time: I like that there´s no 5 on my clock when the kids chase me out of bed in the morning.. almost feels like a reasonable time for getting up ^^. 

March 30, 2014 1:13 pm  #1203

I'll look around for that blog! Thanks for the tip! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 30, 2014 7:42 pm  #1204

My camera won't work properly and have more important things to pay for at the moment.

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

March 31, 2014 11:08 am  #1205

GRR! How hard can it be to get ones pain meds? 

I was prescribed them Friday and told I could pick them up just after... They weren't ready then so I had to wait till today. Still nothing when I tried again. Showed up personally at my doctors office and got the secretary to write out a new prescription. Still nothing.

I've spent 2 hours going back and forth from the drugstore... waiting in line 20 minutes each time just to be sent back. 

GAH! I really need them, especially after running around like that. Tomorrow I think I'll try to call the drug store and hear if it went through before going back. This is so frustrating! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 31, 2014 1:29 pm  #1206

Dear me. The last time I had so much palava with prescriptions I was writing scripts for high doses of opioids to be given via syringe drivers to palliative care patients. I wouldn't expact it to be so hard for simple painkillers.

March 31, 2014 1:43 pm  #1207

It didn't help either that my doctor forgot to write the prescription in the first place. But those things happen I suppose. I just hope he did refer me to the Xray

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 31, 2014 8:07 pm  #1208

I feel a little odd...

All the Michael Jackson fans are going nuts over the release date of his newest album. I can't even get myself bothered about it. First thing; he didn't put it together himself... secondly since the fiasco that was the 'Michael' album; where half the songs wasn't even him singing... (Which is still a hot topic and is a part of our now very divided fandom.) My hearing might be declining but I am particularly good at recognizing voices and that was not his voice. I lost faith in the people publishing his music post his death after that.

*Sigh*. I miss the good old days of being a Michael Jackson fan girl... so much love among us, no one yelling at each other, no name calling... we used to call ourselves the 'Fanmily'... Ugh. 

Sorry, I needed to get that out somewhere I won't get attacked for voicing my feelings. 

Oh, and I just realized that on the 12th of April I'll have been a fan of MJ for exactly 10 years... 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (March 31, 2014 8:16 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

April 3, 2014 10:50 am  #1209

Gah, it's such a lovely spring in Germany that I really have to fight hay fever these days...
And it is not only nose but lungs as well, which is why I have to start my inhaling therapy again

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

April 3, 2014 11:14 am  #1210

Aw that sucks, Mrshouse! I hope you get some relief soon!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

April 3, 2014 11:15 am  #1211

It does...
How's your back, Phantom?

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

April 3, 2014 11:20 am  #1212

It's the same really, thank you for asking! I finally got my pills yesterday and so far they don't offer much relief... but I have an X-ray on Monday so by next Friday I should know what is wrong with me... that's something! 

I hope you can get some treatment that works, my mother struggles terribly as well with her hayfever

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

April 3, 2014 1:58 pm  #1213

I am sick for a week now. My throat feels like scratched by a wiry brush and I have a constant low fever. It′s incredibly annoying!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 3, 2014 2:02 pm  #1214

Awh, I hope you feel better soon nakahara!

Stock up on Vitamin C, and might I suggest steam baths? I always do that when I'l under the weather; I usually add a bit of cammomile or mint tea to the water! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

April 3, 2014 2:15 pm  #1215

Yes, I will probably try some cammomile, because my medication has no results whatsoever. This sore throat is getting on my very last nerve.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 3, 2014 4:29 pm  #1216

I hope it will help!

Ugh I just got really annoyed...

I was running off to the shops and granted my outfit was a little strange. Acid green stockings (I LOVE those stockings!), long black skirt, grey trench coat with blue leopard print and my Hello Kitty bag over my shoulder. I love being different and I always have... and since I've been bullied all of my life somewhere along the line I just stopped dressing and acting to please others because I could enver get it right.

Today I crossed this group of young people and they started pointing and giggling, when they came within ear shot they told me 'OMG pretty green socks' and they continued to snort the word 'socks' at me.

I just said a low 'thank you'. but I knew it was as far from a compliment as you can possibly get... 

It's not so much that they did it to me; what annoys me is younger people still getting the same reaction for being who they want to be. Why do you have to dress and act a certain way to be cool, or at least be left in peace??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

April 3, 2014 4:40 pm  #1217

Oh, how I hate those situations! Be assured, Phantom, that almost everybody on the whole word goes through this at some point in their lives.
Think of Benny being called horsefaced and arsenamed!

April 3, 2014 4:47 pm  #1218

But it really shouldn't be like that... The way people dress or look doesn't make them less of a person! 

This time it really didn't hurt me personally. I'll gladly wear the same socks tomorrow too! luckily I've grown stronger in my 24 years of life... but someone should teach those kids a really good lesson one day!

Personally I strongly believe it's more than okay to be yourself. No matter what that means (Okay, maybe not axe-murderers). 

Why does people who are different seem like such a threat? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

April 3, 2014 4:54 pm  #1219

I don't think they are considered as a threat, but they sometimes walk on their own whereas in a conformist group it's cosy and warm. Thus less dangerous.
And I'm considering something else: raising three children and being a part-time pediatric I get in touch with a lots of families of all sorts and as sad as it is, I'm convinced that manners matter less with times.

April 3, 2014 5:43 pm  #1220

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

But it really shouldn't be like that... The way people dress or look doesn't make them less of a person! 

This time it really didn't hurt me personally. I'll gladly wear the same socks tomorrow too! luckily I've grown stronger in my 24 years of life... but someone should teach those kids a really good lesson one day!

Personally I strongly believe it's more than okay to be yourself. No matter what that means (Okay, maybe not axe-murderers). 

Why does people who are different seem like such a threat? 

They are at this stage in life when belonging to a group is very important. One way to emphasise that you belong is to attack 'non-members'. You will often see the person who newly joined the group or feels insecure within the group for other reasons to be most active in attacking people outside the group to prove how much they identify themselves with that particular circle. Those behaviours very in intensity and whilst some of it is a normal part of growing up it can escalate to bullying and crime through gang membership.

Another thing to consider is the fact that society on the whole encourages us all to conform. Majority of the population stop in their moral development at a stage which is driven by obedience of authority and social order. They have a strong conviction that it is important to obey laws and social conventions because of their importance in maintaining a functioning society. There is an idea that if you look differently and break the social conventions in that respect there is a chance that you will break other rules to and therefore bring chaos to the system. That's why looking different means potential threat.

Not saying that it's right by the way. Just some possible explanations as to why people behave in that way.

Board footera