BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 12, 2014 7:53 am  #1

Benedict at Minneapolis Comic Con

So if anyone is near Minneapolis - you can see Benedict there on 3 May (sorry for mentioning this again, but some news about acting work would be really, really appreciated by now):

http://www.wizardworld.com/benedictcumberbatch.html

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 12, 2014 8:26 am  #2

Re: Benedict at Minneapolis Comic Con

I live in the wrong country, pf...

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

March 12, 2014 8:30 am  #3

SusiGo wrote:

(sorry for mentioning this again, but some news about acting work would be really, really appreciated by now):

Yep. It somehow seems as if he won't be working (as in: acting) at all in the near future...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 12, 2014 10:16 am  #4

SolarSystem wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

(sorry for mentioning this again, but some news about acting work would be really, really appreciated by now):

Yep. It somehow seems as if he won't be working (as in: acting) at all in the near future...

It does, doesn't it?
I wonder why.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

March 12, 2014 12:51 pm  #5

All these con apperances are killing me!! 
DragonCon, one of the biggest cons in the country is held here in Atlanta.  If he were to come to Dragoncon I would lose it.  I'd do unspeakable things to get the money to see him!  Well, maybe not unspeakable, but you'd certainly have to whisper.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 12, 2014 12:58 pm  #6

I think it's really great that people are getting the chance to meet him, and if it's his choice to do some travelling and take things easy for a while then I think he more than deserves that break ahead of promoting TIG, I really do.
I just worry that all his projects may have come to a halt, because I'm sure it that's the case, he wouldn't be happy about it.
I don't think he's keeping things secret - it just seems like none of his projects can get off the ground.
Sorry if I'm going on about this but I feel like after working so hard these past few years he deserves to have a flood of offers.
I won't go on about it any more though

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

March 12, 2014 1:18 pm  #7

Tinks wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

It does, doesn't it?
I wonder why.

They start principal photography in April for the new film Benedict is going to be in called 'Blood Mountain'. So there will be acting! 

March 12, 2014 1:19 pm  #8

Let's not overthink this though guys....conventions are a day-long thing. Ok there's travelling involved but each one takes a weekend at best - so if there are jobs then he can fit these in around it.

We were all spoiled in the last 18 months really, let's give him a little while and let him get some R&R, and plot his next brilliant move! I'm pretty sure he will come up trumps with something

I'm clueing for looks

March 12, 2014 1:59 pm  #9

BonesandWolves - I think Blood Mountain is another project that's been shelved
Clare - on the one hand I agree with you that he just might be able to work around the cons, but my gut tells me that if he was working on something, he wouldn't - he even missed some of the STID premieres if I recall correctly, because he was filming Sherlock.
As I say, if he's decided to take some time out then no one can say he doesn't deserve it; if anything he began too look overtired at one point last year, and I really hope that people understand this.
But at the same time, I'd love to hear an exciting announcement, because it seems a bit like he's being let down on a lot of stuff.
And I apologise, again, for going on about this - I feel a bit annoyed because I looked at his IMDB page and people are making ridiculous comments about cons being his career now.
If he didn't ever do any, people would say he was too up himself.
Sometimes celebs can't win.

Last edited by Tinks (March 12, 2014 2:08 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

March 12, 2014 2:17 pm  #10

Yeah I know what you mean - I'm just being an eternal optimist! I know he said in an oscars interview that he was also setting up his production company, SunnyMarch this year, so that may take some time...

I'm clueing for looks

March 12, 2014 2:18 pm  #11

Oh I didn't know that.
Is he setting up with his producer friend?

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

March 12, 2014 2:22 pm  #12

SunnyMarch has been set up last year. They have already produced the short film "Little Favour" which is avaiblabe on iTunes (no idea if you can get it anywhere else). We have a thread for this in the non-Sherlock work section. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 12, 2014 4:42 pm  #13

The organisers of this event have now taken down the page about Ben. By no means confirmed.

I'm clueing for looks

March 12, 2014 5:21 pm  #14

clareiow wrote:

We were all spoiled in the last 18 months really, let's give him a little while and let him get some R&R, and plot his next brilliant move! I'm pretty sure he will come up trumps with something

Utterly spoiled in 2013!  
An embarassment of riches.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 16, 2014 8:45 am  #15

If I may give my input here,
I'm quite surprised that an actor of his caliber is appearing at these cons; don't get me wrong, I think it's wonderful he's bringing himself to his fans. I've attended a fair number of them such as SDCC, Dragon-Con, and Star Wars Celebration, but he's still considered more of an A-list main stream actor (imo) who's done a few sci-fi / fantasy roles, and most of the actors who do the con circuit, while highly talented and beloved by fans, are really more genre-niche, and much lower-profile. I remember Benedict in an interview saying that if he attended Comic-Con, he would be torn from limb to limb!
I hope that he has a chance to take it easy; the last few years have been busy for him it seems, and that there are many good roles for him in the future.

March 29, 2014 5:31 am  #16

After spending my Friday night looking over the wizard world Comic-Con website, I thought I had seriously overlooked this when looking on the Minny page. (I would have legit bought a plane ticket tonight lol). There's no mention of it now and isn't listed as a "canceled" either. I can't imagine him doing a Comic-Con but I'll manage to get to one if he does. :-D

And to the person in ATL, I'm in Nashville and have been going back and forth on going to DragonCon this year and cosplaying as Molly Hooper.

Last edited by Kellinakatrina (March 29, 2014 5:32 am)

Board footera