BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 25, 2012 8:13 pm  #1

National Stereotypes

Let's play a game. I think we might all get a few laughs out of this, especially since pretty much everybody here is from a different part of the world, or at least of their own country.

One person posts a stereotype they think people from other countries hold about their own. The next person posts a stereotype they actually hold about the above country.

And so on. Let's see how funny we can get. And no posting after someone from your own country. It's not fair that way.

My stereotype about the US: We all ostensibly speak like Texans.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

June 26, 2012 1:00 pm  #2

Re: National Stereotypes

My stereotype about Americans is that they all talk very LOUDLY.

I think you guys all believe that Aussies are so laid back we are falling over!

(am I playing this right?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

June 26, 2012 3:33 pm  #3

Please tell me if I'm doing it the wrong way:

We Germans think all Aussies (this goes for the male half of the Australian population) are incredibly good-looking, muscular, blond and spend their whole day surfing near beautiful beaches.

Whereas other people think that Germans eat Sauerkraut and shout commands all day using a lot of consonants and sibilants  .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 26, 2012 4:29 pm  #4

I'd really like to take part in this game but the rules are too difficult for me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 26, 2012 4:40 pm  #5

Hm, I don't know either if I've got it right. Let's wait for Smoggy's opinion. Until then we could play Yellow Car  .

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 26, 2012 4:46 pm  #6

I know it's not even my turn but I'll say this quick before Smoggy beats me up. My stereotype of americans is that they're all over-weight trucker cap wearing slobs, who do nothing but sit in front of their TVs with a Jumbo size bucket of KFC in their lap and watch The Jerry Springer Show.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 27, 2012 6:29 pm  #7

Well, that was mild!!

But you're right, that is the English stereotype too

I think that you think that English people all wear bowler hats, suits and carry umbrellas or wear flowery dresses and carry parasols;
Drink tea and eat scones;
and despise all foreigners! (How positive!!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 27, 2012 6:44 pm  #8

Well, Molly, you are not so far off the mark regarding German stereotypes of the English, you just forgot to mention the fact that the English eat nothing but meat with mint sauce and chips with vinegar . And another one: English football players can't shoot penalties (a fact, not a stereotype, I'm afraid to say).

Regarding stereotypes on Germany I would like to refer to my above post and add that the English constantly think of Hitler and the war and the Blitzkrieg when they hear Germany.

June 27, 2012 6:52 pm  #9

English people think that German people,
Eat Sauerkraut and frankfurters, have pencil moustaches and drink a lot of beer!

I'm seriously afraid of really offending someone here; so if I do,  Erm... you can just offend me back

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

June 27, 2012 7:35 pm  #10

That's not offending at all although I rarely eat sauerkraut and frankfurters, have no moustache of any kind and drink beer moderately. But in general Germans do drink a lot of beer - which goes for other nations as well, doesn't it? 

June 27, 2012 7:45 pm  #11

Somebody took my two favorites about us Americans: talking loudly and with a Texas accent.
How's this? People from other countries think all Americans drive trucks or giant SUVs and wear shorts, t-shirts, and flip-flops when it's not appropriate. Wait, is it a stereotype if it's true?
Also, we're extremely outgoing.

June 27, 2012 8:51 pm  #12

When I tell people I come from near Essex, they all stereotype me as a chavy airhead! I have to admit to saying 'Oh my God!' way too often but a TOWIE 'shut-up!' has never crossed my lips!!

(If you don't know what TOWIE is... think yourself lucky!!

June 28, 2012 4:34 am  #13

BTW, when I first saw Moriarty entering the Tower, I thought he was posing as an American. Anyone else have that impression?

June 28, 2012 4:42 am  #14

Yes, mostly because of the obnoxious gum chewing, and also the Union Jack hat. Can't imagine an actual British person wearing one of those. Apart from, you know, homicidal psychopaths.

June 28, 2012 4:43 am  #15

.... and Sherlock fans, now. At least at the Tower.

June 28, 2012 5:55 am  #16

Hmmmm---well  I  think English people across the pond,  have too much of a fondness for having tea at a certain time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 28, 2012 7:20 am  #17

imane nikko wrote:

Yes, mostly because of the obnoxious gum chewing, and also the Union Jack hat. Can't imagine an actual British person wearing one of those. Apart from, you know, homicidal psychopaths.

That reminds me of the London episode of FRIENDS when Joey wants to buy a Union Jack hat, the seller tells him all Londoners wear them. When Chandler asks why no-one around them is wearing any the seller says it's because they're all tourists.

Sorry I went a bit off-topic but whenever I get a chance to talk about that show, I use it.

June 28, 2012 8:44 pm  #18

We think that the British are all very polite!

Hm.
We think that other people think that Germans always or at least occasionally wear lederhosen!

June 28, 2012 8:46 pm  #19

Sammy wrote:

We think that the British are all very polite!

Hm.
We think that other people think that Germans always or at least occasionally wear lederhosen!

Don't tell me you don't own a Lederhose, Sammy 

June 28, 2012 8:49 pm  #20

What's a lederhosen?
*Checks Google*

Ah,.. Yes, we do think of German people as wearing mini-dungarees (sorry, Ledehosens)!!!

Board footera