BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 26, 2014 7:28 am  #301

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

But is it really all about what individuals 'see'?
When we have been told what something is.
See the thing is, I'm constantly being told by people to stop the fun of 'Johnlock'.
This is wrong on so many levels, but suffice to say I don't...
The issue is(as Ian Hallrd so elpquently pointed out), is that some people actually believe it's true.
Which I agree, on the world scale events is no big thing and doesn't matter anyway.
But I also say again:
1.  It's just a bit of fun in the show.
2.  We are never going to see any real Johnlock in BBC Sherlock.

Anyway, I dispute that people are really seeing this, I tend to think it's projection.
Which again, nobody would have any issue with- enjoy it...but it's no real.
Oh and I know it's all fiction and a TV show.
But it's a TV show written as bromance(not romance), with 2 men who love each other deeply and forever.
That for me is the most precious thing of all and should not be lost in an over romanticised/sexualised world.
So refreshing to haver a TV series that doesn't have the leads romantically involved.
Another point: if fans choose not to 'read around the subject'. as it were.  That is entirley their choice, but they may have to accept that those who have could possibly hold a bit more information.
Final point: I'm not askig anybody to believe anything I say for myself. I am just pointing out what actirs and writers have stated and I both trust them and think they do a brilliant job..

Last edited by besleybean (March 26, 2014 7:31 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 26, 2014 7:30 am  #302

I am not sure if getting married to a woman is the ultimate proof of not being attracted by a man. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 26, 2014 7:31 am  #303

We crossd posted.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 26, 2014 7:34 am  #304

Sorry for being hasty, I had not seen your above post. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 26, 2014 7:42 am  #305

besleybean wrote:

Final point: I'm not askig anybody to believe anything I say for myself. I am just pointing out what actirs and writers have stated and I both trust them and think they do a brilliant job..

I agree that they do a brilliant job, but I still say: I don't need anyone to tell me or explain to me what I see or what I don't see when I watch a tv show or a movie or a play on stage or any kind of art, for that matter. That's what art is all about, at least in my opinion: it's open to interpretation, everyone can enjoy it in a different way and find different things in it.
I actually think it would be very boring if everything was absolutely straightforward and all we could do would be to agree on everything and say "Yes, yes, that's the way it is".

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 26, 2014 7:49 am  #306

I agree with you. Just think what people are making of Hamlet still after 400 years. So we should be allowed a little discussion on certains aspects of our favourite series. 
The interesting thing is that there are people who do not see the attraction at all, some (like me) after some time and others who see it at once. A friend who is a teacher told me that one of her 16 year old pupils whose English was not brilliant and who did not know anything abou it immediately asked when the two of them were finally getting involved (I think he used a different wording ). 

As for the conspiracy theory - we know that Moftiss prefer to keep their cards close to their chests. So why blurt out something which instead could be developed slowly and used for all sorts of impressive  scenes. I do not declare that this is the truth but it is one valid opinion among others. 

March 26, 2014 8:17 am  #307

besleybean wrote:

Anyway, I dispute that people are really seeing this, I tend to think it's projection.

Btw, I saw this (really) before I even knew that there's a word for it, before I had anything to do with fandom, fanfic or whatever.

And I will never understand why we always have to put bromance and romance into some kind of contest. Is bromance automatically better than romance? Romance (and yes, also sexuality) can have involved the deepest and most beautiful bromance and friendship. It is possible to have one without the other, but it's also possible to have both at the same time, with the same person.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

March 26, 2014 8:19 am  #308

Just this: 

March 26, 2014 8:24 am  #309

Susi, I see that we can only agree to agree on that.

March 26, 2014 9:56 am  #310

Talking about those wonderful moments...

March 26, 2014 10:03 am  #311

Is it allowed to thud in here?

March 26, 2014 10:09 am  #312

SolarSystem wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Btw, I saw this (really) before I even knew that there's a word for it, before I had anything to do with fandom, fanfic or whatever.

And I will never understand why we always have to put bromance and romance into some kind of contest. Is bromance automatically better than romance? Romance (and yes, also sexuality) can have involved the deepest and most beautiful bromance and friendship. It is possible to have one without the other, but it's also possible to have both at the same time, with the same person.

That is a beautiful sentiment. Why indeed should we have to chose between romance and bromance? Why can't a relationship involve a mixture of both? My real life partner was my best friend for 4 years before she became my partner.  Human relationships are complex and wonderful whether sexuality is part of them or not, but that can also be far more meaningful than just getting laid.

Like you, but long before Sherlock, I also suddenly saw a male-male love affair in a TV show long before I'd ever heard of fandom. I quite shocked myself, but once that 'he loves him' thought was in my head it wouldn't go away.  Now with Sherlock I do see it, whether the subtext was intended or not (and I won't debate that one here) and even knowing to my regret that we will never see Johnlock on screen it's still here for me.

So yes, I wish they had gone for it for many reasons not least of which is that I'm convinced that some TV/film company will give us Johnlock eventually.  I would have liked it to have been BBC Sherlock becasue I know that they would have done it brilliantly.

March 26, 2014 10:16 am  #313

Susi, please feel free to thud anytime you like!

Aytoun, I could say now that BBC Sherlock isn't over yet and there's more to come, but just like you I am sure that they won't go there, for whatever reasons. And part of me says "That's fine", another part of me says "But why the hell not?!".
Then again, what I do indeed see and feel when I watch the show is so much more than I ever would have expected when I started watching it last year. These two guys have an unbeatable chemistry, and I don't care if that's just accidental or not, or if that's just meant to be the chemistry of a deep friendship or not... I see it all, right there.

March 26, 2014 11:11 am  #314

SolarSystem wrote:

Susi, please feel free to thud anytime you like!

Aytoun, I could say now that BBC Sherlock isn't over yet and there's more to come, but just like you I am sure that they won't go there, for whatever reasons. And part of me says "That's fine", another part of me says "But why the hell not?!".

I can think of many reasons why they shouldn´t go there - mainly because they don´t have much to gain but a lot to lose by such a drastic change in their dynamics. Imo it will be difficult to let the show continue for a very long time - what they said they plan and what I hope they´ll do - with the two of them becoming an official couple. It wouldn´t be true to canon, it wouldn´t have any more impact on the cases/stories than their platonic love already has, it would take away the tension of unresolved feelings, it would trouble the big part of the fandom that is not into Johnlock, it would change the perception of the whole series in the public, it would invite open hostility from haters.. so there´s not really an advantage of going there. - If they are not using the series for making a statement just for the sake of it, which is not likely.

My own take on Johnlock is boring, I don´t really care if they want to get it on or not ^^. For me they have a kind of a love affair, but the details are their business. Imo we will never see through this, and what our imagination makes of it probably says more about ourselves than about their actual feelings for each other - My imagination sometimes does fun things with it, and that´s all I need to know ^^.

March 26, 2014 2:17 pm  #315

Zatoichi, you made some very valid points. But let me start with the one that to me is the least convincing: Johnlock is not Canon. Now, I am far from being an expert when it comes to Canon and you may correct me if I'm wrong, but after what they did with Mary in S3 I'm inclined to say that anything goes. As far as I know Mary in Canon is anything but an ex-assassin-Sherlock-killing woman. So they took a character from Canon and turned her into something different. A lot different, if you ask me. I honestly can't see how turning Sherlock and John into a romantic couple would be so very different from that, especially considering the fact that we're almost there already. Well, maybe not 'almost there', but we already made one or two steps into that direction. In comparison, turning Mary into a killer in HLV was probably far more surprising than it would be surprising if they gave us Johnlock in S4 or later on.

Then of course you talk about what the perception would be. I guess that depends a whole lot on how you do it. If you only do it for the sake of a statement, as you mentioned, it wouldn't even convince me and I wouldn't really want to see it. Of course you'd have to find a way to convincingly and logically integrate it into the story, you'd have to go there step by step. They could pull this off if they really wanted to and make it so much more interesting and even inevitable than we've seen it on so many other (boring) tv shows. 
BUT: I'm sure they won't do it - and I'm fine with it. I'm just tired of repeatedly saying (almost apologetically) that I don't need to see it on the show and that I'm fine with reading tons of Johnlock fanfic. Because the truth is: I wouldn't mind seeing it on the show, if brilliantly executed.

March 26, 2014 2:25 pm  #316

@Zatoichi: I think it would be terribly sad if showing them in a love/sexual relationship would incite hatred, disgust or other negative feelings from fans. I really thought we had moved on. I am not saying that it is going to happen in the show (I mean, who ever knows what they come up with next?) but I would be more than okay with it. 
And as for canon - I suppose you know what ACD himself said when someone asked his permission for an adaptation: "Kill him, marry him, do whatever you like with him." And since the Johnlock idea is not new, it would not be really farfetched. 

March 26, 2014 3:20 pm  #317

SusiGo wrote:

@Zatoichi: I think it would be terribly sad if showing them in a love/sexual relationship would incite hatred, disgust or other negative feelings from fans. I really thought we had moved on. I am not saying that it is going to happen in the show (I mean, who ever knows what they come up with next?) but I would be more than okay with it. 
And as for canon - I suppose you know what ACD himself said when someone asked his permission for an adaptation: "Kill him, marry him, do whatever you like with him." And since the Johnlock idea is not new, it would not be really farfetched. 

I agree with you as well as with the points that Solarsystem makes in her post. BBC Sherlock is often a long way from canon, their take on Irene Alder being another example of moving the goalposts a long long way.  Johnlock could be made believeable on screen built on the foundations they've already laid if they decided to go down that route. I also think that a gay hero could be acceptable to the public (look at Torchwood) and that we have moved on a lot in recent years. For example a gay peck on the cheek kiss in the BBC soap opera Eastenders in the 1980's caused outrage, but a recent full-on gay snog shown before the watershed resulted in two complaints out of an audience of about eight million. The times they are a changing and maybe Sherlock should change with them. I think it could be a very postive portrayal and at the end of the day I'm a hopeless romantic. I don't want to see sexual scenes, but love and romance is a different thing entirely.

In the end I feel rather let down because they haven't done it after all the hints and so-called jokes in the first two series. And don't tell me that it wasn't meant to be taken seriously they knew exactly which fire they were playing with.

Last edited by Aytoun (March 26, 2014 3:29 pm)

March 26, 2014 3:21 pm  #318

Again agreed. And I doubt that they would go for explicit sex scenes as they never did so before. It is not part of the show. But as for the romance, I am totally with you. 

March 26, 2014 3:27 pm  #319

@Solar: You are right, it wouldn´t directly contradict canon (except for the fact that Watson married a second time after Mary died). And if brillantly executed I wouldn´t mind seeing it, too!  But I confess it would be hard for me to give up my image of Holmes/Sherlock as unattached genius, being a stranger to all these little problems being in a relationship brings about.. I can´t really explain why but for me it´s part of the attraction. 

​Which brings me to the negative reactions I mentioned.. I guess except for some hopeless homophobes they would rather come from the fact that Sherlock has a relationship at all - I had in mind how Twitter exploded when people thought he was in a relationship with Janine when I was writing my post. But maybe it would be different with John..^^

Last edited by Zatoichi (March 26, 2014 3:31 pm)

March 26, 2014 3:32 pm  #320

Zatoichi wrote:

​Which brings me to the negative reactions I mentioned.. I guess except for some hopeless homophobes they would rather come from the fact that Sherlock has a relationship at all - I had in mind how Twitter exploded when people thought he was in a relationship with Janine when I writing my post.

You actually see me laughing helplessly at that right now - there were actually people on twitter who really believed that Sherlock was in a real relationship with Janine...??? Oh my... I can't believe it...

Board footera