BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 23, 2012 8:00 pm  #21

Re: Your favorite movies

Milkomeda wrote:

I love dystopia too Sammy! Have you read or saw 1984? It's the dystopian classic.

Of course
I loved the book, the movie was okay.

Oh, you mentioned "Sunshine". I LOVE that movie but somehow it seems that not many people know it. It's so beautiful.

Blade Runner, interesting, haven't watched that one. Might do that.

June 27, 2012 6:24 am  #22

For those who like dystopia, try The Stand, both TV series and the book by Stephen King. Admittedly, both have a lot of weak points, but the idea is very interesting and Gary Sinise plays the hero with a quiet, John Watson-like, bravery and stoicism. Definitely a man you would want in your corner during the breakdown of civilisation!

As for general movies, I have to admit to a couple of girly likes. A Room With A View, the original with Helena Bonham-Carter, is just lovely, gorgeous scenery, beautiful music, and a naked Rupert Graves (truly!). And I love The Last Of The Mohicans with Daniel Day-Lewis at his absolute best. When he says to Madeline Stowe "I'm looking at you, miss" OMG and then when he tells her to stay alive and he will find her OMG, OMG!! Sorry, a bit overexcited here 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

July 2, 2012 4:40 am  #23

Sammy--  Sunshine--  I remember a movie by that title which was made in 1973.  what movie are you talking about?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 2, 2012 8:58 am  #24

sherlockskitty wrote:

Sammy--  Sunshine--  I remember a movie by that title which was made in 1973.  what movie are you talking about?

If I had to take a guess I'd say she's talking about the 2007 Danny Boyle film, which is like THE SILENT RUNNING of the new millennium. It's a great film by the way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

July 2, 2012 11:21 am  #25

Is anyone familiar with Japanese/Chinese movies like The Ring, So Close, Battle Royale, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon?

July 2, 2012 11:33 am  #26

jimella wrote:

Is anyone familiar with Japanese/Chinese movies like The Ring, So Close, Battle Royale, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon?

I've seen RINGU, BATTLE ROYALE and CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON.

But when it comes to Japanese and Hong Kong movies, I especially like early John Woo (THE KILLER, HARD-BOILED), Takeshi Kitano (HANA-BI, ZATOICHI), Hayao Miyazaki (MONONOKE HIME, PORCO ROSSO, TONARI NO TOTORO - whic is probably the finest children's movie ever made), Zhang Yimou (RAISE THE RED LANTERN), and of course the movies starring the great Bruce Lee. Especially ENTER THE DRAGON. And who could forget the master himself, Akira Kurosawa.

While we're in Asia, I really enjoy the movies of Kim Ki-Duk, Wong Kar-Wai and Chan-Wook Park.

Last edited by Dramagod (July 2, 2012 11:41 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 2, 2012 11:36 am  #27

Sorry, Jimella, I'm not at all familiar with these movies. Must catch up one them one day. Does anyone know "Das Leben der anderen" (Lives of others), a German film that won an Oscar in 2007? It takes place in East Germany in the 1980s and deals with the unusual personal development of a Stasi officer (the massive organisation that spied on millions of East Germans and made normal people into spies). I like it very much and the actors are excellent.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 2, 2012 11:40 am  #28

SusiGo wrote:

Sorry, Jimella, I'm not at all familiar with these movies. Must catch up one them one day. Does anyone know "Das Leben der anderen" (Lives of others), a German film that won an Oscar in 2007? It takes place in East Germany in the 1980s and deals with the unusual personal development of a Stasi officer (the massive organisation that spied on millions of East Germans and made normal people into spies). I like it very much and the actors are excellent.

I saw the movie couple years back. I liked it, thought it was good, but didn't think it was as great as I expected it to be. I do remember there was a really sexy middle-aged woman in the movie. That's all I can remember, really. But yeah, a good film.

July 2, 2012 12:20 pm  #29

LOL. You mean Martina Gedeck, she's really good. Maybe it has a special appeal for a German audience because it was the first big film that dealt with the Stasi issue. And then of course the Oscar. That doesn't happen very often to German films so it was a really big thing.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 2, 2012 8:05 pm  #30

I've seen Crouching tiger, hidden dragon  and it was soooo fantastic.  I  loved the moves they did.  But,  why did they call it that? I've wondered about that.   It remeinded me of that TV series with David Caradine called Kung Fu.  I  also  saw  THE LAST SAMAURI    with Tom Cruise.  THAT  was a tearjerker.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 2, 2012 8:30 pm  #31

sherlockskitty wrote:

I've seen Crouching tiger, hidden dragon  and it was soooo fantastic.  I  loved the moves they did.  But,  why did they call it that? I've wondered about that.   It remeinded me of that TV series with David Caradine called Kung Fu.  I  also  saw  THE LAST SAMAURI    with Tom Cruise.  THAT  was a tearjerker.

I just always thought crouching tiger and hidden dragon are fighting styles. If they're not, no idea where the name comes from.

July 2, 2012 9:49 pm  #32

Ah grasshopper! I adored that programme.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 6, 2014 3:30 pm  #33

My favourite movie in the whole world is 'Breakfast on Pluto'. It's a little while since I last saw it but it means the world to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 7, 2014 2:11 pm  #34

This was my top ten favourite movie meme I did over at DeviantART -

http://forestina-fotos.deviantart.com/art/Top-10-Favourite-Movies-MEME-167142268

and a smaller version if you didn't want to follow the link -

March 22, 2014 9:09 pm  #35

Although this isn't in my top ten, 'Finding Home' is a lovely movie, and it has just been uploaded to YouTube. It stars one of my favourite, though sadly underated actresses Lisa Brenner, and a young Misha Collins. If you're after lots of action then this movie isn't for you, but if you like movies with that heart-warming feel good factor, I recommend it -

March 22, 2014 9:33 pm  #36

One of my all-time favourites is "Lawrence of Arabia". I watched the director's cut three times during a London holiday. The actors, the music, the script, the photography, the costumes - a masterpiece. 

March 22, 2014 9:36 pm  #37

I love it, too.
But I watched it when I was 9 months pregnant and having contractions every 5 minutes(when carrying my son)...so I've never felt quiet the same about it since!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 22, 2014 9:41 pm  #38

One of my favorite movies is "Jack the ripper" starring Michael Caine. He's brilliant! And as I'm a sucker for good singing I loved the German movie "Comedian harmonists".

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

March 22, 2014 9:46 pm  #39

I love The Sting, too...the music!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 22, 2014 9:52 pm  #40

Yes! Sixth sense is really intense! Loved jho performance so much, thought he would become a real superstar back then.
Has "The last emperor" been mentioned?

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

Board footera