BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 16, 2012 2:37 am  #21

Re: Regional dishes

Dramagod wrote:

kazza474 wrote:

Dramagod wrote:

That cheese steak thingie looks totally worth having a heart-attack. I'm a meat-eater in the umpteenth generation. I want to have on of those bad boys some day.

But it's processed meat; I call it 'plastic meat'. Full of preservatives & additives. I couldn't stomach that at all.

When I was younger I thought the Backstreet Boys song "Get Down" was good. I can stomach quite a lot.

lol

Oh I could eat it if that is all there is; but I refuse to generally. The eventual damage that stuff does is grotesque.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 21, 2012 9:31 am  #22

Parkin anyone?

Parkin is a soft cake traditionally made of oatmeal and molasses, which originated in northern England. Often associated with Yorkshire, particularly the Leeds area, its precise origins are unclear, and it is very widespread and popular in other areas, such as Lancashire. Parkin is generally moist and even sometimes sticky. In Hull and East Yorkshire, it has a drier, more biscuit-like texture than in other areas. Parkin is traditionally eaten on Bonfire Night, 5 November, but is also enjoyed year-round. It is baked commercially throughout Yorkshire, but is a mainly domestic product in other areas.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 21, 2012 9:52 am  #23

Now, this one here is the classic "Rheinischer Sauerbraten" (sour roast from the Rhineland). It is made of beef (sometimes of horse meat) stewed slowly in a sweet-sour sauce which may contain raisins and/or red wine. Before it is usually marinated for quite a long time to make the meat tender. You serve it traditionally with potato dumplings (or noodles) and red cabbage like in the picture. I've never done it myself but my grandma used to cook it and it was delicious  .

P.S. I never ate poutine but it was in one of my translations and I really got hungry when reading about it. Would like to try it one day. It reminds me of the Dutch "Pommes spezial" (chips/fries with raw onions, warm ketchup and mayonnaise all over it) which I can eat about once a year.

Last edited by SusiGo (June 21, 2012 9:55 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 23, 2012 8:52 pm  #24

Reading all these postings is making me salivate. Parkin is very nice as is Sauerbraten and I would love to have the chance to eat some more dumplings. I like to make beef casserole (stew) with Guiness topped with suet dumplings in the winter, with red cabbage and apple.

Peanut butter I Lurve on toast , so does my son, but only the organic kind and I also like Nutella which my daughter adores.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 23, 2012 11:25 pm  #25

And a toast with peanut butter and Nutella, miam : p

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

June 24, 2012 6:27 am  #26

http://ingridcreates.com/best-pavlova-cake-recipe/

Have you tried pavlova? We Aussies claim it but so do the Kiwis.
It is just about the best thing ever. I never pass it up.

Last edited by hepzibah (June 24, 2012 6:30 am)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

June 25, 2012 12:54 pm  #27

Mmmm! Pavlova!

That is all I have to say.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 25, 2012 7:35 pm  #28

Döner?
Nah, just kidding.

Pommes rot-weiß? That's just french fries with mayonnaise and ketchup.
I guess sausages are considered a German thing. Yuck.

And always always potatoes.

June 25, 2012 7:46 pm  #29

Sammy wrote:

And always always potatoes.

Honestly: Can you think of a more delicious thing than jacket potatoes, salt and butter?

(And I'm saying this as the ultimate vegetarian pasta lover!)

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 25, 2012 8:41 pm  #30

Nothing wrong with Kartoffel, and chips (fries) with mayonnaise is a combination made in Heaven!

June 26, 2012 4:10 pm  #31

tobeornot221b wrote:

Honestly: Can you think of a more delicious thing than jacket potatoes, salt and butter?

(And I'm saying this as the ultimate vegetarian pasta lover!)

Yes
French fries can be delicious but otherwise I'm much more for noodles or rice. ;)
You know what's great? Lothringer Nudelauflauf! (I'm not sure how to translate it - it's pasta bake from Lorraine).
It's noodles and mince and cheese and delicious.

receipt (approx. 6 people):
1 onion
1 bunch of parsley
3 tablespoon of butter
500g mixed mince
1/8 l dry red wine
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
1/8 l bouillon
1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano and thyme
salt
black pepper (freshly ground)
500g noodles
1/4 l cream
6 tablespoon of Parmesan

:D

June 26, 2012 4:17 pm  #32

Talking about potatoes: What about Reibekuchen? My mother-in-law is a master of Reibekuchen. It's a sort of dough made of grated potatoes, salt, onions, eggs (I think) fried in a really hot pan until crispy. Here in the Rhineland we eat them with apple sauce which may sound funny but tastes great. If you don't have a sweet tooth try them with smoked salmon and sour cream.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 27, 2012 1:05 am  #33

Oh, Rievkooche!
Why it can taste good both with apple sauce or salmon is one of the mysteries of life...

Last edited by Sammy (June 27, 2012 1:05 am)

Board footera