BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 17, 2014 8:52 pm  #21

Re: How do you promote your fics?

I know... It just makes me think of pro-ana and pro-SI groups... *shivers* 

But I would hate not to have the warnings there... I'd hate to unconciously trigger someone 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 17, 2014 9:17 pm  #22

Writing about something is not the same as promoting it. You can write about war and be a pacifist if you know what I mean. I think it's deffinitely better to have the warnings. That way if someone wants to avoid reading about those topics they can.

March 17, 2014 9:29 pm  #23

Thanks for sharing your view numbers, Phantom Lady.

I understand your feelings about how the tag "trigger" increases the views. Kind of sad, isn't it? On the other hand those warnings are important. I remember reading a fic that should have had the warning "mayor character death" but didn't, and all of sudden Sherlock was dead and I was haunted by it for days. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

March 17, 2014 9:32 pm  #24

And it's not like I'm writing about the things like they are the best thing in the world... 

But yeah. It's just... 

I shouldn't talk though. I find myself reading a lot of stories like that... 

Sorry, just needed to let out a bit of bile about this. It's a sad thing to be dealing with. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 17, 2014 9:33 pm  #25

And the raise of views might also indicate that people are interested in knowing how the author dealt with a difficult topic.
It doesn't need to mean something bad.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

March 17, 2014 9:41 pm  #26

I would hope so. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 17, 2014 10:03 pm  #27

People read those stories for different reasons. It can be triggering but it can also be therapeutic. The way I look at it the more is written about those difficult issues the less taboo they become and that will make it easier for people to talk about stuff and get help if they need to.

March 17, 2014 10:09 pm  #28

It certainly can be therapeutic both to read and write about. And I do believe it shouldn't be a taboo at all. People shouldn't be afraid to tell people about that sort of thing.

It's just that I've seen those Pro-SI forums... and they scare the heck out of me. 

But if someone got something good out of me writing about a girl who deals with the moral struggles and the urges I'd be just as thrilled as I'm scared of those groups. 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (March 17, 2014 10:10 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 18, 2014 9:53 am  #29

You can tag on ff? I thought you could only do that on A03.

March 18, 2014 12:12 pm  #30

Song wrote:

You can tag on ff? I thought you could only do that on A03.

You can't, but I added a warning in the description... 

My daily views went up times 4 after I added the warning. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera