BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 17, 2014 10:42 pm  #1

Analysis of Benedict's Handwriting.

So, some of you are are aware that I'm studying forensic science, and for the past couple of weeks, I've been doing graphology.

I took a lot of interest in this, and I thought I'd put it to the test, and did it on Ben's handwriting.

So this is the image I used:

And here are the conclusions I got:

So the size of his handwriting, which is quite average, suggests that he is a well adjustable and adaptable person.
The wide spacing between the words suggests that he's not really a fan of being over-crowded and very much enjoys his freedom.
The fact that his handwriting shows no slant, it being straight up and down, suggests that he doesn't like to let emotions get to him, that he is logical and very practical.
His connected letters also suggests logical personality, and also adds that he tends to make decisions carefully.
The way he dots his i's, with them being directly above the line, suggests that he is detail-oriented, organised and empathetic to other peoples feelings.
The way he crosses his T's, suggests that he's ambitious and optimistic about all things.
His closed o's suggest that he likes to keep himself private, and he's very limited to share his feelings to others, being quite an introvert.
The heavy pressure that is put on the eon when writing suggests that he's good with commitment, he's serious when needed, and can react quite quickly to criticism.

Also, the beloved signature of the beautiful man that we all love, the non-legible factor of it, once again, suggest that he is a private person.

Finally, which we can all consider lucky, none of his handwriting suggest any mental/general health problems!

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

March 17, 2014 10:47 pm  #2

Re: Analysis of Benedict's Handwriting.

That's really interesting Rebecca - when you compare that with the palmistry thing I did it correlates, I'd say! I'll copy and paste my post into here so people can read them as one thingy....

I'm clueing for looks

March 17, 2014 10:48 pm  #3

It's so interesting when you can see how some things are true, and in fact relate to how he is as a person, and like you said, my graphology and your palmistry definitely match!

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

March 17, 2014 10:50 pm  #4

Wow! It's fascinating how much you can read from his handwriting (I can't even read most of his message). This is a fantastic piece of work, and thank you for sharing!

I can see him in this analysis. It makes a lot of sense to me! And good to know there's no health issues to be detected here! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 17, 2014 10:52 pm  #5

So for the benefit of others who may not have seen it, here's the pic and analysis I did...

Now, for something a little different......I don't necessarily believe in this, but it is kinda interesting. Saw this pic and thought....what do those lines mean??

So I looked up online and this is what I found...

The shape of his hand and length of his fingers indicate someone who is sociable, talkative and witty, who can be shallow and cold. However he is comfortable with the mental and intangible, and does things in radical and different ways. He is well-mannered, good looking (AS IF WE DIDN'T KNOW THAT!) and anxious.

The heart line, which runs under his fingers, touches the head line, which means intellect strongly influences his emotions. He is submissive and ruled by the heart, putting all loved ones first. He is caring, and emotional.

The head line is slightly separate from the life line, meaning he is independent, but makes sacrifices for family, and his happiness depends on the wellness of the group over himself. His expectations of others are high, so sets himself up for disappointment. It's slightly curved, so shows he follows the rules but when threatened will fight. He is concerned about safety, fights for justice. He has another line running parallel and this indicates strong mental ablility.

The life line is strong and curved, meaning vitality and success. He is friendly, a good mixer, is loyal and protective.

His fate line, which runs up the hand, is faint (but most people don't have one), shows he is independent and his succes is borne of his own effort. Love and romance are very important.

Just thought you might find that interesting

I'm clueing for looks

March 17, 2014 10:57 pm  #6

I do believe in palmistry (The second time I met my best friend she read my hand and told me pretty much everything about myself... )

I can see him in this. I really can, and it's a flattering analysis too! With Rebecca's analysis we really have a good analysis of him. And I like what I read! 

A liiitle OT here but
My friend doesn't do palmistry anymore, and I haven't been able to find anything online. But what does it mean when you have a double faithline? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 17, 2014 11:02 pm  #7

But one should also consider the limited conclusiveness of graphology according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphology#Validity

I think it's rather for fun than for science. Even more palmistry. What would Sherlock think of it? 

Last edited by Harriet (March 17, 2014 11:03 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

March 17, 2014 11:19 pm  #8

Well I think the palm reading, as I hoped I may have put across, should be taken with a lunch of salt, it is just for fun and I'm certainly no expert. I just used an internet guide to interpret what I saw.

Whatever arguments there are about handwriting, if it forms part of a forensic science course, maybe could be regarded as more concrete? I think Sherlock would use these techniques for his deductions for sure!

I'm clueing for looks

March 17, 2014 11:47 pm  #9

Very interesting and seems to be true.
I would be keen what you could see from my handwriting...

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

March 18, 2014 6:17 am  #10

Nice work, rebecca, that was interesting to read!
Just one question, out of curiosity: Wouldn't you normally need to have the piece of paper right in front of you, for example to be able to touch it and to see how much pressure he uses when he writes?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 18, 2014 7:04 am  #11

SolarSystem wrote:

Nice work, rebecca, that was interesting to read!
Just one question, out of curiosity: Wouldn't you normally need to have the piece of paper right in front of you, for example to be able to touch it and to see how much pressure he uses when he writes?

Indeed that's the most effective way, but you can also look at the strokes and the ink marks to judge pressure too.

March 18, 2014 8:10 am  #12

Cool!!! You can do mine soon ;) xx

I'm clueing for looks

March 18, 2014 8:18 am  #13

clareiow wrote:

Cool!!! You can do mine soon ;) xx

I'd love to!

March 18, 2014 9:56 am  #14

See what comes in the mail then ;) xx

I'm clueing for looks

March 18, 2014 11:41 am  #15

Fascinating!  Can I send you a copy of mine?     Any particular amount of sample you need?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 18, 2014 11:52 am  #16

Right, I'm open for requests! This will really help me with my college work!

PM this:

(handwritten, of course) 'the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog'
Along with your signature!

March 18, 2014 6:40 pm  #17

Oh dear, I'm almost too embarrassed to ask this - how do I send my writing on a pm??  I have tried to send one and I only have space to write a message, no option for a attachment and can't make it do freehand.  Is it because I am using ipad and I need to use proper computer??  Sorry, I'm such a numpty wih these things!!

Suspect you are also inundated with requests so understand if you have too many to handle!!

Forensic science - what I wanted to do at Uni but was told I wasn't clever enough (nice and confidence building!).  Go you!! x

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'i'm in shock, I've got a blanket'

March 18, 2014 7:21 pm  #18

Biggles86 wrote:

Oh dear, I'm almost too embarrassed to ask this - how do I send my writing on a pm??  I have tried to send one and I only have space to write a message, no option for a attachment and can't make it do freehand.  Is it because I am using ipad and I need to use proper computer??  Sorry, I'm such a numpty wih these things!!

Suspect you are also inundated with requests so understand if you have too many to handle!!

Forensic science - what I wanted to do at Uni but was told I wasn't clever enough (nice and confidence building!).  Go you!! x

If you upload it to a site, like tinypic or photo bucket, and post me the link of the page, I can get the image off there. x

March 18, 2014 8:05 pm  #19

I'll send you mine; will be interesting to see how it goes with my friends palm reading of me back in 2007... 

I still think it's such an interesting science, I wish I could do stuff like that! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 18, 2014 8:59 pm  #20

I'll just put this here.   I don't mind if anyone knows my actual name.

You can PM me your analysis if you'd like.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera