BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 15, 2014 11:11 pm  #41

Re: John Watson in S4

tonnaree wrote:

Myself, I would be very dissatisfied if Mary died off screen.  Event though I know how it was delt with in the original stories.

As far as I remember, Moftiss said in an interview that they wouldn't do that. Well, with Moftiss you'll never know, but I don't think it's likely that Mary dies off-screen, would be a wasted opportunity for something really dramatic  .

Last edited by stoertebeker (March 15, 2014 11:12 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

March 16, 2014 2:55 am  #42

I agree that John definitely has some serious character growth to do-- what I'd like to see in season four: I want *sweet* John back. I'd like for him to take off his mental blinders and learn to actually look at what's right in front of him; I'd like to see him not treat Sherlock like he's superhuman, without feelings--. And I just gotta say this-- I can do without him punching Sherlock ever again, to the extent that if it happens, I want Sherlock to *finally* hit him back, and/or tell him, "Don't you ever hit me again." And make it stick. I'd like to see John save Sherlock for once, or do some comforting . 
Less mean-spirited sarcasm. 

I'd love to see John use his medical knowledge, or use his bamfy tendencies in a good cause again. 

I'd prefer Mary take a ride on the river Styx with Charon, and maybe John could be a little less frantic about finding women to "get off" with, at least for one series.... Who knows, maybe they could be actually focused on a case?

March 16, 2014 3:08 pm  #43

That's what I was thinking Swan.  I can't think of a single time John has punch Sherlock that Sherlock didn't kinda deserve it.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 16, 2014 4:54 pm  #44

I think John might have gone a bit OTT in the opening scenes of TEH but the way I read it was that emphasis was on creating a slapstick comedy like scene rather then emphasising that John is a violent person. I could do without to many of such scenes in the next season though.

March 16, 2014 6:43 pm  #45

Swanpride wrote:

I disagree, and not just because Sherlock was the one who originally threw the first punch at John (remember SIB?). What Sherlock did to John by letting him believe that he witnessed his suicide was so much worse than a simple punch.

Honestly, reading you posts it sounds as if John routinely beat Sherlock up, when in truth there were only two times when it happened...once after Sherlock hit him first, provoking him in order to prompt John into hitting him and again at the start of TEH, when John really had ample reason to fly off the handle. John didn't hit him for any of the experiments Sherlock did to him beforehand, for any insult, not even for making him believe that they would die in the next seconds.

Try to remember, I actually *don't* hate John, nor any of the chararcters, what I am saying is that the gag is old. On the other hand, yeah, the first time, Sherlock hit John to get him to hit back, (for purposes of the case)  John not only punched him, but then strangled him. John drew blood, (which might have been what he was after, so that's on him) but the strangling? Hmmm. 

By the end of TEH, Sherlock could be described as a victim of assault. I'm just saying that I'm tired of seeing it. I also don't want him hit by any more of his friends. People *can* actually talk things out. 

Conversely, if we're talking about "deserving" to be hit, what would we be saying if John, after finding out that Mary shot and technically killed his best friend, hit Mary upside the head? 

Maybe not even a punch, but a slap? Surely, she 'deserves' it, too. 

(Cue screaming)

Wait, that's not funny? Doesn't qualify as a gag?  Why?

Mind you, I don't actually mean that I think John should hit Mary, even if if she does "deserve" it--  I'm saying that the "gag" of friends and loved ones hitting each other for comedic value has gone stale, at least for me. 

If they're going to go that route, then at least let Sherlock fight back, and let them truly do a slpstick bit with flying pies and all. 

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (March 16, 2014 7:02 pm)

March 16, 2014 6:49 pm  #46

Oh I'm wirh you. I don't like it at all and this was why I was dreading the Reunion.
As it hapepns, I think it was done very well and was hilarious...but I don't think it showed John in a very good light.
The fact that Sherlock doesn't hit back, says much for him.
And yes, I hope they're done with this joke now.

Last edited by besleybean (March 16, 2014 6:50 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 16, 2014 7:01 pm  #47

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

If they're going to go that route, then at least let Sherlock fight back, and let them truly do a slpstick bit with flying pies and all.

That's what was missing from that scene. A flying pie or two . There was potential there with it being a restaurant. ;)

March 16, 2014 7:09 pm  #48

belis wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

That's what was missing from that scene. A flying pie or two . There was potential there with it being a restaurant. ;)

Now THAT would have been slapstick! 

March 16, 2014 7:53 pm  #49

The reunion scene should start like that

and finish with a cake fight.

March 16, 2014 8:27 pm  #50

Maybe part of the problem was that the show seemed too disjointed in mood?  It's like it didn't know whether it wanted to be campy, or sad, or bittersweet, or ...slapstick?

So, I think I'd like more continuity -- a thread that connects the characterizations of all the characters, including John--- so their behavior rings "true."

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (March 16, 2014 8:27 pm)

March 16, 2014 9:03 pm  #51

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Maybe part of the problem was that the show seemed too disjointed in mood?  It's like it didn't know whether it wanted to be campy, or sad, or bittersweet, or ...slapstick?

So, I think I'd like more continuity -- a thread that connects the characterizations of all the characters, including John--- so their behavior rings "true."

I agree. In seasons 1 and 2 the episodes had more internal consistency. There was a theme and a certain atmosphare that was constant rhrough out the episode. For example The Hund was quite dark, the main emotion was fear, it was all about mystery. The Scandal was much lighter, frivolous with a lot of sexual tension. In season 3 the atmosphare changes multiple times within the same episode. It's much harder to sum up what the overall theme may be. I'm not sure if it's good or bad but it's deffinitely different.

March 16, 2014 9:17 pm  #52

belis wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

I agree. In seasons 1 and 2 the episodes had more internal consistency. There was a theme and a certain atmosphare that was constant rhrough out the episode. For example The Hund was quite dark, the main emotion was fear, it was all about mystery. The Scandal was much lighter, frivolous with a lot of sexual tension. In season 3 the atmosphare changes multiple times within the same episode. It's much harder to sum up what the overall theme may be. I'm not sure if it's good or bad but it's deffinitely different.

Aha! You just totally NAILED IT. 

March 16, 2014 11:00 pm  #53

Oh, I don′t know – to me it seems as if every „Sherlock“ episode has an atmosphere of its own and it′s difficult to compare them. That holds for series 1 and 2 either – ASIP (funny adventurous romp), TBB (the procedural) and TGG (thriller) are nothing alike and it′s the same with SIB (humorous drama), HOTB (the horror) and TRF (tragic tale of antic proportion). As to series 3:

TEH was similar in tone to ASIP, but it was a bit quieter with an emphasis on characters rather than the plot.
TSOT was a pure ligh-hearted comedy.
HLV was very dark and sinister. I rewatched it yesterday and it was pure depression. If they didn′t include a few funny moments here and there it would be terribly bleak. I can quite understand why they decided to mix this dark morality tale with humour in some scenes. Moftiss are cruel but even they are not such sadists as to make their story unwatchable because of one tragic moment after another. Too much tragedy dumbs the audience and make them indifferent rather than moved.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 17, 2014 9:20 am  #54

I agree about the disjointed feeling in S3.  During TEH, there were multiple swings.  What really felt off to me in that episode was Sherlock's odd, odd "joking" with the moustache at the start and the bomb at the end.  I'll grant them some leeway - maybe this was an extremely nervous and vulnerable Sherlock that we've never seen before.  Maybe he regressed to an adolescent "giggle to cover your fears" way of being.  (I teach 8th grade, and if I show a video that has emotional resonance, the moment is always ruined by the 13-year-old-boys' giggling.)

The other big one for me is the extreme jump in characterization of Mary from TEH to HLV.  I don't want to want Mary to be written off the show or killed.  I'd love to love her and then, when she inevitably gets written off or killed, mourn her.  But she was charming, delightful, and supportive in TEH and TSoT, and then she was ruthless to the point of shooting the HERO in HLV.  It feels like there was no internal consistency of her characterization, and it feels false and forced. 

So, yes: I want S4 to have a methodical and sensible character arc for everyone: not rushed, not hasty, not forced.  I want John to react the way John Waston As We Know Him should react - and Sherlock, Mycroft, and Mary as well.  I don't care if I like or dislike a character, as long as the way I feel about them is hard-earned and authentic. 

Fillyjonk

Check my Tumblr for a musical tribute to Sherlock's devotion during series 3.
http://imtooticky.tumblr.com

March 17, 2014 3:09 pm  #55

Actually, Sherlock′s „joking“ was quite in-character with canonical Holmes.

I can cite an example - in the „Adventure of Naval Treaty“ Sherlock′s client is a young man who lost an important document on which a national security depends. After he lost the paper he fell into unconciousness and was down with brain fever for 10 weeks, nearly dying in the process. So he is a very sensitive individual who could be seriously harmed if distraught. Sherlock finds the lost document. Yet does he return it immediately, easing the mind of his client? No! He orchestrates the scene in which he pretends that no papers were found and after that he serves the document to his client on the plate, together with his breakfast. The client almost goes mad after that, but Sherlock just couldn′t resist his compulsion for theatrical flaunting.

In „Scandal in Bohemia“ Watson comments that the stage lost an actor the day Sherlock decided to become the detective.

Sherlock′s penchant for the theatrical is a part of his character exactly as his deductions are. Many film adaptations of ACD stories worked with that side of his character so why should it be wrong if used in TEH?

The situation between him and John was terse and he was trying to somewhat detract from it by using his inept humour. He is not socially skilled so he misjudged it the first time, in the restaurant – but succeeded quite well the second time, in the scene with the bomb. Personally, I saw nothing wrong with it.

And concerning Mary′s jump of character – that was exactly the point, wasn′t it? The real evil is not always visible as it was the case with Moriarty, it often lurks nearby, unseen until it′s too late. The relatives of many brutal murderers, cannibals and psychopatic killers would swear to you that their sweet boys or girls were nice people who wouldn′t hurt a fly and it′s incomprehensible how they suddenly turned into monsters. The thickest darkness is often found directly under the lamp, so to say.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 17, 2014 8:21 pm  #56

Well, assuming that there's a season five, maybe what happens is this: John does not move back to 221b, he stays in domestic bliss with Mary and the baby and sees Sherlock only very occasionally-- (like once an episode) and the show focuses more on Sherlock solving cases and the problem of Moriarty. Maybe we get to see more of Molly, Lestrade and the partneship between John and Sherlock takes a big step backwards. I suspect if the writers go in this direction, we'll see John when his family's lives are in danger, and that's about it. They may even have to go into Witness Protection, which would solve a lot of problems pretty neatly-- it would keep John and Mary together, and safe from the enemies she's made, thereby protecting the new family. I can totally see a couple of scenes per episode with John touching base with Sherlock to let him know all is well, and then going back to being a wonderful and loving husband and father. But the rest of the show has to be about Sherlock, that's who the show is about, after all. :-)

Or there could be a spinoff episode, right in the middle of the series-- John and Mary as BAMFs, no Sherlock, except maybe via texts-- they have some sort of dangerous situation possibly originating from Mary's past, and have to go all aggro to protect their daughter. 

I'm just playing with ideas-- I think it would be a neat solve that would give everybody what they wanted. And then, maybe the next season, John and Sherlock become working partners again. Or not. 

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (March 17, 2014 8:27 pm)

March 17, 2014 9:22 pm  #57

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Well, assuming that there's a season five, maybe what happens is this: John does not move back to 221b, he stays in domestic bliss with Mary and the baby and sees Sherlock only very occasionally-- (like once an episode) and the show focuses more on Sherlock solving cases and the problem of Moriarty. Maybe we get to see more of Molly, Lestrade and the partneship between John and Sherlock takes a big step backwards. I suspect if the writers go in this direction, we'll see John when his family's lives are in danger, and that's about it. They may even have to go into Witness Protection, which would solve a lot of problems pretty neatly-- it would keep John and Mary together, and safe from the enemies she's made, thereby protecting the new family. I can totally see a couple of scenes per episode with John touching base with Sherlock to let him know all is well, and then going back to being a wonderful and loving husband and father. But the rest of the show has to be about Sherlock, that's who the show is about, after all. :-)

Or there could be a spinoff episode, right in the middle of the series-- John and Mary as BAMFs, no Sherlock, except maybe via texts-- they have some sort of dangerous situation possibly originating from Mary's past, and have to go all aggro to protect their daughter. 

I'm just playing with ideas-- I think it would be a neat solve that would give everybody what they wanted. And then, maybe the next season, John and Sherlock become working partners again. Or not. 

No.   Just no.  Please.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 18, 2014 11:32 am  #58

I don′t think that′s a good idea. The charm of „Sherlock“ is mostly based on the beautiful chemistry between Sherlock and John. The show would definitely jump the shark if you separate the two main protagonists, I′m afraid. And I can only speak for myself – but I cannot imagine spinoff episode where John and Mary are the main characters. It would be not that interesting without Sherlock′s funny quirks. What would they show in such an episode? John and Mary shooting their enemies? TV is full of such shows already.

March 18, 2014 6:59 pm  #59

I think Raven is joking 
I can't imagine Sherlock BBC with only Sherlock and just once in a while John and Sherlock. It wouldn't make any sense. Both are getting irritated and distracted when they are separated. Obviously they are soulmate (not especially in a romantic way). 

Also I don't think that anybody would watch a spin-off with only Mary and John. What would be the point? 

"Storming, enjoying, planning, loving, cautioning,
Backing and filling, appearing and disappearing,
I tread day and night such roads."
Walt Whitman

March 18, 2014 7:12 pm  #60

Ozymandias wrote:

I think Raven is joking 
I can't imagine Sherlock BBC with only Sherlock and just once in a while John and Sherlock. It wouldn't make any sense. Both are getting irritated and distracted when they are separated. Obviously they are soulmate (not especially in a romantic way). 

Also I don't think that anybody would watch a spin-off with only Mary and John. What would be the point? 

Actually, I really could see it-- as a transition to season 4; and I've seen shows do this sort of thing before, as well. Part of the story arc *is* the estrangement-- and the last episode of season 4 or the beginning of season 5 would begin with John and Sherlock back together. What it does is a couple of things: three episodes that are character centric, allowing people to see what happens when they are separated; you get more backstory on Mary, John and the Baby, so that resolving that situation one way or another doesn't feel like a cheat, you make it plausible for John and Sherlock to *truly* reconcile and work togther again. And this time, more as equals, a team. 

It's what I'd do if I were writing the show, but knew I had 5 or 6 seasons to work with. :-)

(one) John and Mary episode, could be pretty entertaining, actually. You've got an ex-military crack-shot doctor who has to have learned something from Sherlock, and an ex-assassin killer nurse and they are (by that time) parents of an adorable toddler. The plot possibilites are endless..

If there's going to be a redemption arc for Mary (before they klill her off the show, because it's canon) that could end up being the trigger that sends John back to Sherlock, perhaps for revenge. 
As for Baby-- John might give her up for adoption, for her own protection. Heart-wrenching, but if they did it right, it would at least make sense. 

So, thank your lucky stars, I'm not writing the show .  :-)  Muhahaha. 

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (March 18, 2014 7:21 pm)

Board footera