BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 16, 2014 12:21 am  #1

Brother mine

What is it that appalls Sherlock so about this phrase?

The rivalry? Is it taken as condescending? The mysterious potentially dead due to Mycrofts inaction and lack of brotherly affection brother?

Or just not the right time?

I wasn't sure if there was something behind that phrase that sets him off or he's just high and tired of Mycroft and his snide controllong manner.

Thoughts?

How can you even form a sentence to reply when this ^^^ is in your face? 

February 16, 2014 1:16 am  #2

Re: Brother mine

i think he might be fed up with Mycroft's tone and meddling. Also he might not want Mycroft finding Janine in his bedroom therefore he attacks him in order to get him out the door as quickly as possible.

February 16, 2014 3:06 am  #3

I don't think it's the phrase itself.  Mycroft and Sherlock have both used it before.  But Mycroft's attitude.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 16, 2014 6:59 am  #4

I think it is because Mycroft is so condescending when he says it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 16, 2014 7:13 am  #5

I also think Sherlock just had enough at that point, he was just tired and wanted to be left alone and it was the one straw that broke the camels back. Also he would have needed everyone to leave before anyone found Janine in his bedroom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 16, 2014 8:32 am  #6

tonnaree wrote:

I don't think it's the phrase itself.  Mycroft and Sherlock have both used it before.  But Mycroft's attitude.

It wasn't exactly "brother mine" before but

...and I think they both would use this phrase ironically.  Mycroft, in this case, could be equally appalled because Sherlock uses him and his authority to get into Baskerville. I'd say: Familiar interaction between the brothers. Nothing unusual.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 27, 2014 12:37 pm  #7

I think the "appalled" aspect he's referring to is the fact that Mycroft is so clearly under Magnussen's thumb that he would do anything to stop Sherlock getting involved. He's appalled that his brother could protect someone so awful.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 27, 2014 12:46 pm  #8

He actually did use it before; in the scene where Sherlock is getting his shave in TEH it's used!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 15, 2014 6:37 pm  #9

I think that the holmes brother only use the phrase when they want something, mycroft in asib and sherlock in thob. They both know how to manipulate the other brother to get something they want, I think that they have both do this for years when they were little.

Don't talk out loud Anderson, you lower the IQ of the whole street,

March 16, 2014 3:04 am  #10

I think I'm going to have to agree that Sherlock had had enough for one morning. I also think he used the "high" as an excuse. 'Cos, that didn't look like somebody on heroin to me-- and that's what he tested positive for; he acted more like he was on coke or speed. (I play music, and have had to deal with a lot of druggies in my time, so I know what it looks like) 

March 28, 2014 7:04 pm  #11

My mums ex was a heroin addict.

Sherlock was not high on heroin *ok we know ben was just acting*

as for the movie Stuart.  The actor plsying stuart got it spot on.

Benedict Cumberbatch

"So, I am human, I’m not as tall as people think I am... I’m nice-ish, clever, important to some people, but I tend to rub them up the wrong way."

Board footera