BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 14, 2014 12:16 pm  #141

Re: Sherlock’s Sexuality: An In-Depth Contemplation and Study

tonnaree wrote:

I'm in this fandom for fun and it's a joy to share it with my fellow obsessives even if I don't share all of their opinions.

I couldn't agree more. One of the things that I realy like about this forum is that on the whole people get along well despite often holding opposite views.

In my headcanon Sherlock is most likely asexual. I can see him with a girlfriend as well though. I have read plenty of Johnlock fanfictions and I can deffinitly see that work. I don't think it will ever happen in the show but I subtext is deffinitely there. I think John has a bit of bisexual vibe about him.

March 14, 2014 1:27 pm  #142

tonnaree, that was one of the best comments I've read in quite a while.
My tone was probably too aggressive yesterday. Sorry for that. I was upset. I don't want people to try to force me to think in a certain way, and I don't want to do that to other people either. It's just not fair to spoil the fun.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

March 14, 2014 1:34 pm  #143

No worries QE.  My comments were certainly not directed at you. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 15, 2014 11:36 am  #144

Oh I love the Bromance and I think ACD did as well.  And as the modern writers of the show (and my avatar's movies) know; it IS an intricate part of the storyline.  Genius, such as Sherlock's, is usually coupled with a very "unsociable" personality.  To have someone finally connecting to him, as John does, can do nothing BUT gladden his heart, put a grin on his face, and make Sherl's life tolerable again.

" I always hear "punch me in the face" when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext."

March 15, 2014 12:37 pm  #145

Bromance is all good.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 10, 2014 2:01 am  #146

Sherlock's sexuality -his repression of it actually- is why he's my hero. 
He holds "pure, cold reason above all things", and since sexuality conflicts with that, he gets rid of it. He also discards sensations of fatigue or hunger, which I find admirable too, but not as much.
He has a philosophical argument against allowing sexuality to impede rationality. And I think that's so much more awesome than just being asexual, because then it becomes a war of mind over matter, and Sherlock's mind never looses. Sherlock is the only light I see in a sea of sex-craze, the only place where the mind and its humanity is valued above the mundane sexual wirings of the body.
Frankly, things get so boring when people stop behaving and thinking rationaly, and devolve to baser needs and instincts. Sex these days has gotten so casual, poorly justified, and brainless. Life is so much more interesting and meaningful with reasons behind actions and that's what Sherlock stands for to me. Rationalism.
When Adler touches his hand and asks him if he wants to have dinner, what does he do? He takes her pulse! He makes me so proud.

April 10, 2014 2:33 am  #147

Lue4028 wrote:

Sherlock's sexuality -his repression of it actually- is why he's my hero. 
He holds "pure, cold reason above all things", and since sexuality conflicts with that, he gets rid of it. He also discards sensations of fatigue or hunger, which I find admirable too, but not as much.
He has a philosophical argument against allowing sexuality to impede rationality. And I think that's so much more awesome than just being asexual, because then it becomes a war of mind over matter, and Sherlock's mind never looses. Sherlock is the only light I see in a sea of sex-craze, the only place where the mind and its humanity is valued above the mundane sexual wirings of the body.
Frankly, things get so boring when people stop behaving and thinking rationaly, and devolve to baser needs and instincts. Sex these days has gotten so casual, poorly justified, and brainless. Life is so much more interesting and meaningful with reasons behind actions and that's what Sherlock stands for to me. Rationalism.
When Adler touches his hand and asks him if he wants to have dinner, what does he do? He takes her pulse! He makes me so proud.

So you're maintaining he wasn't really attracted to Adler?

I thought the whole, "She tries to seduce him - but she has a hidden agenda - but she really falls for him  - but meanwhile he always had a hidden agenda - but he really falls for her" was just such a Harlequinn cliche.

And the idea that the ONE person who causes logical Sherlock to show signs of letting attraction get the better of him is a person who, on the logical level, he has every reason to consider "bad" really bothers me. I don't see Irene's particular...variation...being a turnon for Sherlock, either. Especially when you consider that being captured by criminals and tied up/ hurt "for real" is something he risks every day. I don't think he would want to do it as a game...then again, he didn't seem THAT traumatized by Serbia, so far.

I'd prefer to believe that if Sherlock had any potential to be attracted, it would have to be toward someone he had come to trust as a friend (i.e., John or Molly), or else someone who was kind of a groupie, and thought he was amazing. 

Last edited by SherlocklivesinOH (April 10, 2014 2:34 am)

April 10, 2014 3:55 am  #148

I think he liked Adler as an intellectual interest. I think its possible he was attracted to her sexually. But if he was, he repressed those feelings completely and didn''t allow them to impair how he played the game. I guess thats why he won and she didn't. 
I don't feel convinced he really fell for her. If he did, it would have been cliche. I think saving her at the end was because he felt some sort of ethical responsibilty to save her because he took advantage of the fact she loved him and maybe because he liked her a little (but not so much that he fell for her- never!).
I don't think Sherlock necessarily had a hidden agenda persayyy. He's always like that - using his brain to figure things out, and that didn't change in that scene with Adler. He was doing the same old same old, deducing. I was just really satisfied with how that scene portrayed his character. But you're right, seemed like a really romanitic/evocative scene so it gives a false first impression. I liked how he didn't let it overwhelm him at all. =) That scene was a triumph for rationality. He's my champion. <3
Hm.. so you don't like the Irene/Sherlock pairing then?
Maybe he does show some kind of attraction toward Irene but.. Moffat said the relationships in the series are about love, not sex, and I kinda agree. I don't worry so much about how sexual attraction, especially Sherlocks, may manifest in the series.  I kind of just care about his ability to care about people. I'm satisfied just seeing how his relationships with John and others evolve based on how he cares about them, not on how he's attracted to them. I don't think Adler got anything from Sherlock that John and Molly didn't. Hm.. except maybe, Adler posed a challenge as an adversary. Sherlock does love adversaries to pit his wits against, so he may have been more interested in Adler as a puzzle than he was in John or Molly.

April 10, 2014 6:19 am  #149

Frankly, I do not think it in any way heroic to repress one's sexuality. For me sexuality and rational thinking should not exclude each other. And IMO they do not have to. 

Last edited by SusiGo (April 10, 2014 6:24 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 10, 2014 8:12 am  #150

Lue4028 wrote:

Sex these days has gotten so casual, poorly justified, and brainless.

Oh. Don't you think this is slightly too generalised? 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 10, 2014 11:59 am  #151

Sex, like just about everything else in life, has been used, abused and exploited in just about everyway possible.  But sex in and of itself is not a negative thing. 

Perhaps it's just the nature of the word "repression."  I don't think the repression of any natural human emotion to be a healthy thing.  I was happy to see Sherlock letting things out more in Series 3 and I think one of the end game goals of the show should be for Sherlock to find a way to combine his emotions and his intellect.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 10, 2014 12:20 pm  #152

Well said, tonnaree. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 10, 2014 3:21 pm  #153

SusiGo wrote:

Well said, tonnaree. 

Thanks Susi.
Not that anyone would notice, but I've always been rather fond of sex myself. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 10, 2014 3:23 pm  #154

You don't say. 

April 10, 2014 9:04 pm  #155

I like to keep emotions and sexuality seperate concepts. Emotions I like because they are often backed by reasons- which are interesting. Emotions are in some ways, rational too. The desire to have sex tho.. it's just there. There's nothing rational about it, it's just what people do. People sometimes have sex because of emotions they feel toward another person, but reason tends to exit out of the equation when you go from liking a person to having sex with them. Why those two things connect has no rationale behind it, it just what we're programmed to do. 

Which I find boring. And meaningless. because there are no reasons backing it. I see so much more humanity in a character when they act on reasons. And I don't see the personable aspect of a character when they act on instinct.. because their personality, their thoughts, their rational emotions aren't playing much of a role anymore.

Repression isn't healthy, but if Sherlock were healthy or concerned about health, god, he'd be boring. All his mental sicknessess- addictive behaviors, antisocialness, smallish amount of OCD, "sociopathy" but I'll just call it questionable ethics, and very importantly, repression make watching Sherlock fun.

I can totally see why repressing sexuality isn't heroic, or doesn't even make sense to some, if not most people. But I see a lot of value in it, because it leaves so much space for reasoning and meaning.

Haha. Of course you're fond of sex. Everybody's fond of sex. Even I'm fond of sex. It's madness. I'm aware my opinion about these things is not very conventional, and I wouldn't expect these opinions to be shared. Just.. speaking my mind, hope that's okay.

Last edited by Lue4028 (April 10, 2014 9:47 pm)

April 10, 2014 9:08 pm  #156

Well, it might be helpful if we return to the first post in this thread and about what Benedict said about his character...

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 10, 2014 9:56 pm  #157

Ok. Ben says that
1. Sherlock "subsumes" sexuality to do his work.
2. Sherlock isn't a virgin
I think number 2 might be a little ambiguous for preciously stated reasons but 1 makes sense to me.

April 10, 2014 10:00 pm  #158

I do not think that suppressing one element of your personality is reasonable. And I also think that you can be a rational and reasonable person without suppressing your sexual instincts/needs/wishes. 

April 10, 2014 10:07 pm  #159

But there are plenty of people who opt for celibacy and that is entirely up to them...or at least it should be.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 10, 2014 10:12 pm  #160

I think there is a difference between opting for celibacy and wilfully suppressing one element of your personality. 

Board footera