BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 14, 2013 12:10 am  #61

Re: Donovan, did she ever date Sherlock?

^ Anyone who can manipulate their way through a police force like Sherlock has done IS a risk. It's made clear that his involvement is not official and regardless of how much of a genius he is, having access to the information he does have - and revelling in it, enjoying it - is unorthodox and potentially dangerous. And that's alarming and frustrating to someone like Sally, who I think takes pride in doing her job throughly and by the book (indiscretion with Anderson aside - I think she thinks she's kept those areas separate... if Sherlock hadn't announced it to everyone they would've 'got away with it').

I agree with Mnemosyne that an element of her bitterness comes from being manipulated by him in the past. Perhaps he took advantage of her naivety when she was more junior - he needed to work his way into the force; he won't have just strolled up to Lestrade and become best buddies. And that bitterness is compounded by the way he wipes the floor with them ALL intellectually - it undermines the entire police force, which makes most of the lesser ranks uncomfortable. None of the praise for solving a case comes their way - Lestrade gets a pat on the back from his seniors, but the rest just have to put up with Sherlock being unpleasant while they're trying to do their jobs. I think she's worked hard to get where she is, I think she's dedicated to her job, I think she likes her job and the way things are organised, and I think she's really pissed that someone like Sherlock is allowed to just flout it all AND be rude about it.

I know there's a lot of hate for her character, but I like her and they way she's written... I think she adds a lot to our understanding of the other characters (namely Sherlock & Lestrade but as has been mentioned, she's an interesting counterbalance to Molly).

But in answer to the thread title... I don't think Sherlock is above feigning romance for the sake of getting what he wants. He might have seemed interested in her, used her as a way to get closer to people like Lestrade, and then unceremoniously dropped her once he succeeded. And being used like that it enough to leave anyone bitter! But dated with genuine interest and mutual feelings that went wrong.. no.

Last edited by bohemia (July 14, 2013 12:15 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

We met twice, five minutes in total. I pulled a gun, he tried to blow me up. I felt we had a special something.

Icon credit: wraith816 @ livejournal

July 14, 2013 7:30 am  #62

I have wondered if Mycroft secured Sherlock's postion with Lestrade, tho it's possibly hinted at that they met through a  drug bust.
Anyhow, all we see is Sherlock solving crimes for them.
So all Sally needs ia  to be thankful.
She is shown to us to be antagonistic to Sherlock from the beginning and he remains remarkably restrained.
Sherlock has a brian and a sense of right and wrong.
I certainly hope he would be above dating somebody like Sally. Tho I think he's asexual anyway, Irene, was THE woman.
Sherlock does not engage with petty revenge. 
Only Sally does and she has nothing tio avenge exceopt her bigotry and ignornace.
I hope she's taught a lesson.

Last edited by besleybean (July 14, 2013 7:31 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 21, 2013 2:19 pm  #63

What about Sallys first question when she saw John and Sherlock together?
"Did HE follow you home?"
As if it would be a possibility that Sherlock could stalk somebody...
We now know that Sherlock does that.
Does Sally speak from experience? Why would Sherlock follow her home?

Was he at some time professionally interested in her when looking for an assistant or another police officer he could work with? But it ended badly because Sherlock "let her down" and she felt that she wasted her time?

July 21, 2013 2:27 pm  #64

I thought Sally meant as in a stray dog...
When does Sherlock stalk anybody?
I still think the options are:
1. Sally and he met through a drug bust.
2.  Mycroft got Sherlock the work with Lestrade.
Either way, Sally would be resentful and I also think she's a bigot.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 21, 2013 2:49 pm  #65

besleybean wrote:

I thought Sally meant as in a stray dog...
When does Sherlock stalk anybody?
I still think the options are:
1. Sally and he met through a drug bust.
2.  Mycroft got Sherlock the work with Lestrade.
Either way, Sally would be resentful and I also think she's a bigot.

I don't see her as a bigot. She is on the side of the estabishment; she needs to be there because of her gender and ethnic background. She cannot afford to do things in a sherlockian fashion. I imagine that she can't stand Sherlock because he doesn't play by the rules and he is unpredictable and unconventional. She wants a career in the police force and she fears to lose her career because of Sherlock's way of doing the investiation. I think she is just afraid of Sherlock and jealous of course.

March 3, 2014 4:15 pm  #66

I am unsure about this because this woukd explain why she hates him soooo much..... 

Don't talk out loud Anderson, you lower the IQ of the whole street,

March 3, 2014 5:38 pm  #67

Interesting theories - I don't think though that Donovan's dislike of Sherlock is down to anything other than than the fact that he's different.
I think if there were any other excuse for it, we'd have seen a hint of it by now.
I cringe at her calling him "freak" and it going unchallenged, and I think it's the very fact that she dislikes him for his "differentness" that leads to Sherlock not bothering to show her any respect.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

March 3, 2014 5:44 pm  #68

Yeah suppose but we've only really had a proper look into the holmes background in series 3. So would we have had an hint? He doesn't respond when she calls him a freak, he just accepts it.....sorry rambled a bit....

March 11, 2014 5:29 pm  #69

Be wrote:

I don't see her as a bigot. She is on the side of the estabishment; she needs to be there because of her gender and ethnic background. She cannot afford to do things in a sherlockian fashion. I imagine that she can't stand Sherlock because he doesn't play by the rules and he is unpredictable and unconventional. She wants a career in the police force and she fears to lose her career because of Sherlock's way of doing the investiation. I think she is just afraid of Sherlock and jealous of course.

Indeed, she's probably on the receiving end of bigotry (or perceives that she is). She'd probably have to do twice as much as Sherlock to be thought half as good.

I like the idea that Sherlock has his detractors within law enforcement...but I think it's very unfortunate that the meanest, most antagonistic one is also the only non-white and the only female. Especially when you look at the rest of the female characters.

Remember that the Chief Super didn't know the degree of Sherlock's involvement until RF? I don't think Donovan should be villified for not approving of some of the things Sherlock does, or worrying that he might be dangerous.

March 11, 2014 5:37 pm  #70

Yep.
Though she's brilliant...
And gorgeous.

March 11, 2014 6:40 pm  #71

When I showed my best friend Sherlock she hated Donovan from the very first sight of her; and during our talks about the show we tried to figure out why she has it in for him.

I can't remember who of us mentioned the posibillity of them having dated in the past or maybe her having had the hots for him and she had her heart broken... we just looked at each other and started laughing.

And I'll take a tub of brain bleech now. 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (March 11, 2014 6:49 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 11, 2014 6:41 pm  #72

Quite so.

March 14, 2014 10:46 pm  #73

When we first see donovan we are meant to automatically hate her, because we see one side of the story. I think that she has a true deep hatred for sherlock, unsure of weather this is because she dated him or what?

March 14, 2014 10:52 pm  #74

Well I certainly hope Sherlock would have had more taste and definitely better things to do!

March 25, 2014 7:37 pm  #75

Maybe she hates him precisely because they had no date.
Love (futile infatuation) which converts to hatred...

Last edited by TheWomanWoman (March 25, 2014 7:38 pm)

~Please. Killing me, that's so two years ago!~

March 25, 2014 8:46 pm  #76

No. Definitely no.

Donovan seems to be a by-the-book officer. Despite the fact that she likes Lestrade, she probably disagreed with allowing Sherlock Holmes, who isn't part of Scotland Yard, on to the crime scenes, especially since it is illegal. Not to mention, Sherlock doesn't follow actual procedures, which if found out would put not just her in trouble but Lestrade and the rest of the force. And Sherlock doesn't seem to care. Also, remember the fact that Sherlock Holmes only takes interesting cases. What about the cases that are too ordinary for him? Donovan and the others have to do them as well as fill in the paperwork. I bet after Sherlock's deductions, the rest of the Scotland Yard have to do that too. Sherlock doesn't show appreciation nor does he seem to value it. He looks down on them and calls them idiots. Don't forget how he acts towards the victims as well as the crime scenes. He is giddy and seems to enjoy the brilliance of the criminals if they are brilliant, of course.

I think all this accumlated her bitterness towards Sherlock.

Last edited by LoveIsAViciousMotivator (March 25, 2014 8:47 pm)

March 26, 2014 7:37 am  #77

I used to hate Donovan for being down on Sherlock as well, until I read more about police protocol, and can at least sympathize with her in a professional capacity. Though her feelings seem very personal, beyond professional misgiving. We may never know the backstory; she may have just been written to elicit more sympathy for Sherlock, a difficult and prickly character as it is. I wish there could be a little more exposition on her and Lestrade, besides that bank robbery chase in the beginning of SiT, like them arguing about Sherlock and Lestrade defending his trust in him, etc.

Last edited by CuteCumber (March 26, 2014 7:40 am)

March 26, 2014 8:42 am  #78

Actually I quite like Donovan being down on Sherlock - in the sense that it gives an impression of him being an outsider who is often disliked or receives hostile reactions for his ways and behaviour. We are told that´s how people normally react to him, but nearly every other regular character in the show is respectful, supportive or even in love with him.. so if it wasn´t for her the picture of him and his place in the world wouldn´t be complete imo. 

I don´t think it takes disappointed love to create this kind of hostility towards him.. and it wouldn´t be realistic if every female in the show was taken with him one way or another. (Well, on second thought.. I´m not sure about my last sentence. ^^)

March 26, 2014 3:25 pm  #79

I also don't think she was in love with him. It was just an idea.
I agree with the thought her anger seems to be very personal.
Maybe there is something more than the mentioned things like Sherlock always gets the interesting cases and ruins the police (her) credibility and so on.
She is so rude and inappropriate towards him actually calls him a freak also. Invidious in a energetic way. Her behave seems imo exaggerated observe the mentioned reasons, aren't they? 
If she simply doesn't like him and gives him an invidious remark from time to time it would be more understandable. But she hates him much and does a lot to ruin him. She tries to get John off of him in the beginning and says he could be a psychopath who starts to kill some day. And he should look after another hobby like fishing and so on.
She is so full of hate. More than Anderson who must have the same reasons to dislike him. Suspicious. There must be more...not necessarily emotions.

~Please. Killing me, that's so two years ago!~

April 2, 2014 11:21 am  #80

In my opinion, her behaviour does make sense and is not entirely uncalled for.

As some already pointed out, his collaboration with Lestrade does not accord to police protocol, he constantly puts his ear in matters he should keep out of and he has the habit of looking down on people he deems not intelligent enough or of telling off those he just doesn't like (for whatever reason).

If I were Sally Donovan and had to deal with Sherlock, I'd probably address him in the same spiteful manner. I'd probably hate his guts too. I'm not saying that her behaviour is in any way advisable in this kind of situation, but then again...

Sally is only human and she just doesn't understand Sherlock, doesn't even try to understand. He's the enemy, she doesn't trust him. I wouldn't even think there must be more reasons for her to hate him so. Maybe that's just her way of dealing with people who she thinks don't approve of her. I guess, whenever he's present, she feels as if she were being chastised, as if she were nothing more than a maggot. And feeling like this does evoke hatred, does make people behave nastier and more hurtful than they should. Calling Sherlock a 'freak' might be what she thinks one of the only ways to truly get to Sherlock? Her pride is hurt - no matter if he indeed turned her down at some point or not - and therefore she seizes every opportunity possible to strike him a blow.

You get so alone at times that it just makes sense.

(Charles Bukowski)

Board footera