BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 21, 2012 3:39 pm  #81

Re: CBS Sherlock (aka The Elementary Thread)

I am posting this story as humorous irony.

http://tv.msn.com/reality-tv/cbs-mocks-abc-glass-house-in-press-release/story/

As background, CBS has a crappy reality show called Big Brother the premise of which is this. A bunch of half witted 20 somethings are sequestered together in a house over the course of 90 days under the watchful eye of the camera which records them doing all sort of naughty, catty and backstabbing types of things. Each week someone gets voted out of the house until someone ends up by themself and wins a huge cash prize.

Evidently ABC has now stolen this lame idea and plans a similar show of their own called Glass House. CBS has sued and lost so they put out this petty press release condemining ABC.

I thought this was all quite humorous in light of their intent to produce Elementary and cash in on the Sherlock craze. These wacky TV execs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

June 21, 2012 7:35 pm  #82

I believe Big Brother was a Dutch tv programme originally. We also have it here in the UK. I cannot see how CBS could sue as they didn't create the programme in the first place.

Now I'll read the article.

Eww! Now I've read it. What an original and edifying programme Dancing on the Stars is promising to be. If this was April 1st I would have assumed a joke, or perhaps 31st October? How will they ever be given permission to run it where they want to?

A rare event but...I am now rendered speechless.

Last edited by Davina (June 21, 2012 7:40 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 22, 2012 1:43 am  #83

Irene Adler wrote:

Well, for me in the moment they chose Jonny Lee Miller for Sherlock (I like him a lot but it's a cheesy replacement for Ben) and changed Watson's gender it felt too much forced and unnatural.

I think you nailed it, Irene -- too much forced and unnatural.  I only watched a couple of clips on YouTube, but that's exactly the sense
I got.  My initial reaction was "typical American screw up".  I think they'll focus less on the head banging clues and highlight the oh-so-witty repartee between Holmes and Watson.  I don't know why we do that, but we do and it's insulting.  They'll feel they've succeeded if people rave "Oh I just LOVE Elementary!  It's so funny!"

I sure hope I'm wrong but I've become jaded watching this occur time and again.  They glomp onto a "magic formula" and don't stray.  I would also be par for the course if Holmes and Sherlock become romantically involved.  Sigh.

Like OUR Sherlock Holmes said, at least it will give us something Sherlock until Season 3, I just hope it's bearable watch.

June 22, 2012 5:34 pm  #84

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

As background, CBS has a crappy reality show called Big Brother the premise of which is this. A bunch of half witted 20 somethings are sequestered together in a house over the course of 90 days under the watchful eye of the camera which records them doing all sort of naughty, catty and backstabbing types of things. Each week someone gets voted out of the house until someone ends up by themself and wins a huge cash prize.

Evidently ABC has now stolen this lame idea and plans a similar show of their own called Glass House. CBS has sued and lost so they put out this petty press release condemining ABC.

I thought this was all quite humorous in light of their intent to produce Elementary and cash in on the Sherlock craze. These wacky TV execs

I think it would hilarious to go on that show and just act like nobody else was there. Ignore everybody and pretend you're alone.

Though as fun as I think it would be to be a bit of a troll on reality TV, (I could also see myself speaking in nothing but Sherlock and Doctor Who quotes), I think watching it is one of the dumbest ideas ever conceived. I watch Sherlock and Doctor Who and Mad Men (as I'm sure most people have figured, that's like my holy trinity of quality television) because that's not my life. If I wanted to watch normal annoying people doing normal annoying things I'd go and sit on my porch with sunglasses and a mug of iced tea.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

June 22, 2012 6:54 pm  #85

Edit:  Oops -- screwed up the quote. 

I was laughing at (and with) Smoggy London Fog's

"I'm not that loud or...Texas sounding."

Hahaha!  Love it!

Last edited by Maren (June 22, 2012 6:59 pm)

June 22, 2012 8:34 pm  #86

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

Though as fun as I think it would be to be a bit of a troll on reality TV, (I could also see myself speaking in nothing but Sherlock and Doctor Who quotes), I think watching it is one of the dumbest ideas ever conceived. I watch Sherlock and Doctor Who and Mad Men (as I'm sure most people have figured, that's like my holy trinity of quality television) because that's not my life. If I wanted to watch normal annoying people doing normal annoying things I'd go and sit on my porch with sunglasses and a mug of iced tea.

Add Spooks to your holy trinity and you will have my sacred tetralogy
By the way, I'm starting the fifth season of Mad men tonight... can't wait!

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 22, 2012 11:32 pm  #87

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

I think it would hilarious to go on that show and just act like nobody else was there. Ignore everybody and pretend you're alone.

I love Mad Men too. Wonderful show although less emotional range than Sherlock. I like Joan because she is a no holds barred redhead like me Love your Big Brother idea...that would be delightful!

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 23, 2012 12:19 am  #88

Maren wrote:

Edit:  Oops -- screwed up the quote. 

I was laughing at (and with) Smoggy London Fog's

"I'm not that loud or...Texas sounding."

Hahaha!  Love it!

American, Maren?

The only British show I've seen where I felt my accent was accurately portrayed was...drumroll, please...Doctor Who. John Barrowman pretty much nailed it as Captain Jack.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know; I saw.

June 23, 2012 11:34 am  #89

That's because John's got a genuine American accent...mind you...you should hear his Scottish one...equally genuine.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 23, 2012 10:00 pm  #90

Digital Spy reports that Jon Michael Hill has been cast in the role of a detective who works alongside Holmes and Watson. Elementary will air this Autumn (Fall) on CBS on Thursdays 10/9c.

I haven't posted the link because, frankly, it tells you little more except the other programmes Jon Michael Hill has been in (would you just look at the poor man...getting typecast into law/cop shows).

June 23, 2012 11:03 pm  #91

Davina wrote:

That's because John's got a genuine American accent...mind you...you should hear his Scottish one...equally genuine.

I love his Scottish accent! I do like his American one better, though. He makes a Midwestern accent sound sexy. Unlike how I make it sound. That is, boring.

I didn't know; I saw.

June 24, 2012 4:02 pm  #92

I realise that I'm weeks behind but I've just seen the 4 minute preview of Elementary Now I am not against it at all in fact I was starting to look forward to watch it( go ahead hate me but I thought it looked ok, as long as you don't compare it to the BBC version that is) but in 4 minutes they have already managed to have a continuity issue. At the start he says "a surgeon, by the look of your hands" and then at the end when she asks "How did you know I used to be a surgeon?" He replies "google, not everything is deducable". Is he just winding her up or have they really sunk to the expectations of the BBC fans?

June 24, 2012 11:32 pm  #93

Rosey wrote:

I realise that I'm weeks behind but I've just seen the 4 minute preview of Elementary Now I am not against it at all in fact I was starting to look forward to watch it( go ahead hate me but I thought it looked ok, as long as you don't compare it to the BBC version that is) but in 4 minutes they have already managed to have a continuity issue. At the start he says "a surgeon, by the look of your hands" and then at the end when she asks "How did you know I used to be a surgeon?" He replies "google, not everything is deducable". Is he just winding her up or have they really sunk to the expectations of the BBC fans?

I think he was winding her up. They'd have to have pretty crappy continuity if he wasn't.

I'm not about to lynch you for thinking Elementary will be good. XD Personally, I'll tune into the pilot. As bad as it might turn out compared to Sherlock, it has the potential to be better than about 99% of shows on American television right now. It has good points and JLM!Sherlock does a lot of stuff I can see Cumberbatch!Sherlock doing, although their portrayals are vastly different.

I didn't know; I saw.

June 27, 2012 2:21 am  #94

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

Davina wrote:

I love his Scottish accent! I do like his American one better, though. He makes a Midwestern accent sound sexy. Unlike how I make it sound. That is, boring.

Smoggy, where are you from?

June 27, 2012 7:54 pm  #95

veecee wrote:

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

Davina wrote:

Smoggy, where are you from?

I'm from the Southwest USA.

I didn't know; I saw.

June 30, 2012 6:06 pm  #96

First official poster released:

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 30, 2012 6:07 pm  #97

Funny scarf, it matches the lipstick!!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 30, 2012 6:36 pm  #98

Did it really HAVE to be tied in EXACTLY the same way as our Sherlock's?

June 30, 2012 6:53 pm  #99

COPYRIGHT!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

July 1, 2012 12:49 am  #100

Let's copyright the scarf. OUR SCARF. OUR BENEDICT'S SCARF. I have to admit the pattern is sort of nice in a really really dorky kind of way. I wish he'd done something more creative with it though. Or if he'd had some other funny accessory. Sunglasses, anyone? Dorky ones? (Because, let's be honest, no one needs sunglasses in London. They might come in use SOME day in New York.)

I didn't know; I saw.

Board footera