BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 13, 2014 8:34 pm  #101

Re: Parade's End - film and novel

No need to take it personally or become sarcastic. Just an attempt to keep this thread as what it is meant for. Thank you.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

March 13, 2014 8:34 pm  #102

Oh well....they're very nice 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

March 13, 2014 8:35 pm  #103

Harriet wrote:

No need to take it personally or become sarcastic. Just an attempt to keep this thread as what it is meant for. Thank you.

That's up to the mods, not random members. That's why we HAVE mods; so that they can keep things in order.

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

March 13, 2014 8:35 pm  #104

SolarSystem wrote:

kittykat wrote:

Keep the postcards coming, TeeJay! 

Sadly enough, there are only five. So that's it for postcards in this thread, I'd say.

I can post them again, just for the sake of it. Maybe turn them by 90° for some variety. 

March 13, 2014 8:37 pm  #105

TeeJay wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

kittykat wrote:

Keep the postcards coming, TeeJay! 

Sadly enough, there are only five. So that's it for postcards in this thread, I'd say.

I can post them again, just for the sake of it. Maybe turn them by 90° for some variety. 

That'd be cool 

March 13, 2014 8:41 pm  #106

kittykat wrote:

Harriet wrote:

That's up to the mods, not random members. That's why we HAVE mods; so that they can keep things in order.

Yeah, well, but it shouldn't be too big a problem to take care of certain things ourselves. And true, this thread is meant for discussion/comparison of novel and film. So, the postcards got posted, not such a big deal, and let's just leave it at that. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 13, 2014 8:48 pm  #107

TeeJay and Kitty, Harriet is right. This thread is indeed for the comparison of film and book, not for five big pictures of admittedly nice postcards. That is the reason why we have several threads for some films with respective titles. Please consider this when posting. Thank you. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 13, 2014 9:03 pm  #108

May I just mention that I specifically asked whether you could put up some posting guidelines, and it was clearly said that the mods didn't want to because apparently it's never been a problem in the past, and you didn't want things to be too strictly regulated.

Now of course there's something to be said for common sense and making an effort to pay attention to whether you're posting something in the right thread. Which I admittedly missed to do in this case.

But quite honestly? This is probably the fifth or sixth time that I've been told I've posted things in the wrong place or in the wrong format or size -- when there's not even clear rules as to what's right or wrong. Maybe that means I'm just sloppy and need to be more attentive, or maybe I'm being a little too touchy about this. I've already stopped posting pictures in the Benedict picture thread. But I can honstly say that all this berating for borderline posting offences is making me consider stopping to actively participate here altogether.

March 13, 2014 9:15 pm  #109

Sorry, but you tend to post very large pictures and not one or two but five or even more at a time. We have had this discussion before and people were always quite understanding. I mean, one can get quite enthusiastic about Benedict but I prefer to appreciate one picture at a time instead of being overwhelmed by a whole series and I know I am not the only one. We have never needed an express rule for this. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 13, 2014 9:40 pm  #110

Yes, and I understood that and stopped posting (what I consider) hi-res images after the topic was first brought up. I don't recall repeatedly posting five or six images in one post, but even if I did at some point, I also stopped doing it when I was asked to because I just wasn't aware of the fact that some people had a problem with it.

Here's the thing. I love graphic editing, and I'm a fan of high resolution images because I have a 24" screen at home and anything below 800 pixels looks very small to me. I get immense enjoyment out of seeing images in a size that I find decent, which, yes, will probably look big on a smartphone or netbook. You can't always please everyone, but you're effectively stopping me from posting things I have a passion for in a thread that is, out of the whole message board, probably the most fun to actively particpate in.

I am going to continue not posting images there anymore, because I understand that some people have issues with it. But for the record: I'm doing it as a favour to people with small screen resolutions and browsers that for whatever reason don't resize images, and it's taking away enjoyment from me. Make of that what you like. I'm the newbie, and I know when knuckle down.

And just in case you wanna take this into a PM conversation, feel free. I'm on a business trip the wohle day tomorrow, so I might not be able to respond before Saturday.

March 13, 2014 9:50 pm  #111

Actually this is not the place for such a discussion but I am going to answer here because anyone may know my thoughts. 

It is absolutely fine that you love graphic editing but this is a Sherlock forum and posting pictures is only one element among many others like discussions and games. Most people find pictures they like somewhere on tumblr or other pages or do screenshots themselves and post them here. My impression, however, is that you mainly concentrate on presenting your own pictures here in a way that is sometimes just too much. 
And one thing - I really do not like your way of trying to put me in the wrong. We never had rules because we never needed them. This is all I have to say in the matter. 

March 13, 2014 9:54 pm  #112

Maybe the idea of some, I would not call it rules but maybe suggestions/advices/notes, for postings wouldn't be so bad after all. We could open a new thread and discuss what might be appropriate and useful, so that the mod's don't have to decide that all alone. Just an idea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

March 13, 2014 9:55 pm  #113

TeeJay wrote:

You can't always please everyone, but you're effectively stopping me from posting things I have a passion for in a thread that is, out of the whole message board, probably the most fun to actively particpate in.

I don't really want to get involved in this discussion, just wanted to mention: The Picture Thread is a lot of fun with pics of all kinds of sizes and resolutions - as can be seen every day. Most pics posted there aren't of too immense a size, and it's still fun. Just look at some of the pretty tiny gifs.
I understand where your passion lies, but is it really that unthinkable to post some of your pics in a somewhat smaller size? The ladies in the thread would certainly enjoy them just as well - and in the end that's why we all post in this thread, isn't it? To give some pleasure to the other members. And this also works with smaller pics.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

March 13, 2014 9:58 pm  #114

@stortebeker
Thank you. You are of course free to do so. The boss has said that she does not want to make rules. And it is a fact that during the last two years no one has asked for them. But if you wish to discuss this, no problem. And I am sure the boss and Davina will have a look at that as well. 

Now it would be nice if we could close the discussion and return to the subject of the thread. Thank you. 

Last edited by SusiGo (March 13, 2014 10:00 pm)

March 13, 2014 10:18 pm  #115

SolarSystem wrote:

I understand where your passion lies, but is it really that unthinkable to post some of your pics in a somewhat smaller size? The ladies in the thread would certainly enjoy them just as well - and in the end that's why we all post in this thread, isn't it? To give some pleasure to the other members. And this also works with smaller pics.

It's not unthinkable, of course not. But it's double work for me since I post my images in the resolution I create them elsewhere and then link to them here on the forum. If I wanted to post them in a smaller size just for the forum, I'd have to resize them and upload them again just for that one thread. Yeah, sorry, my passion doesn't go that far.

And I certainly never intended to come across as wanting to advertise my work or pushing it onto people. I always thought the idea of fandom was to share a common passion for a show or an actor we all like. And if one happens to be a creative mind and make their own stuff rather than taking someone else's stuff and reposting it, isn't a fandom message board the place to share your creations?

Now you're going to say that's what the fanart section is for. But what if it's fanart that beautifully depicts Benedict? There's always these borderline cases where it could go one way or another.

But, you know, I hear what you're saying. We'll have to agree to disagree on this. I'm not sure if it's necessary to rediscuss the whole rules thing. I don't want to make things more difficult for everyone, so it's probably better if I just hang back for a while.

March 13, 2014 11:09 pm  #116

TeeJay wrote:

I always thought the idea of fandom was to share a common passion for a show or an actor we all like. And if one happens to be a creative mind and make their own stuff rather than taking someone else's stuff and reposting it, isn't a fandom message board the place to share your creations?

Of course it is. And I don't think that anyone here told you not to share your stuff. People only asked you to share it in a smaller size. And I guess now it's up to you to decide whether or not it involves too much extra work for you to minimize your pics and upload them again...

But I'll shut up now, this is not the thread for this.

Last edited by SolarSystem (March 13, 2014 11:10 pm)

March 13, 2014 11:31 pm  #117

TeeJay wrote:

If I wanted to post them in a smaller size just for the forum, I'd have to resize them and upload them again just for that one thread. Yeah, sorry, my passion doesn't go that far.

You don't need to re upload at all When putting img codes in, say you have a 1024x720 picture for example, and you want to make it smaller just halve the size and put this in the code. [img=512x360]
So your total code would be [img=512x360] (imagelink) [/img] 

Last edited by BonesAndWolves (March 13, 2014 11:32 pm)

March 14, 2014 12:57 am  #118

So, for anyone who's both read the book and watched the movie, is there a big difference?  
And is the book worth reading on it's own?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 14, 2014 6:55 am  #119

Thank you for coming back to topic. The book is worth reading, one of the most impressive and challenging things I have read for years. I read it before watching the film. It is not strictly necessary to know the novel but it will make things much easier to understand. 
You can have a look at the discussion in this thread where we talked about individual scenes, how the characters are portrayed, etc. 

March 14, 2014 7:02 am  #120

The book is sitting on my shelf with hudreds of others awaiting reading, so I doubt I will get to it anytime soon.
I would always prefer to read a book first, but never managed it with Atonement, The Crimson and the white or Parade's End.
Least I did with War Horse!
Oh I didn't manage it with Tinker, Tailor either, but then I'm not partucularly interested in reading that.
Anyhow, I found the Parade's End series perfectly easy to understand...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera