BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 21, 2012 9:33 am  #81

Re: What makes you unique?

OK so I finally thought of something cool to say about myself that maybe no one else here has done...

Last year I travelled right across Route 66 from Chicago to LA...anyone else done that?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 21, 2012 10:14 am  #82

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

OK so I finally thought of something cool to say about myself that maybe no one else here has done...

Last year I travelled right across Route 66 from Chicago to LA...anyone else done that?

I haven't personally no. Last Christmas however my two friends rented a car and drove that same road from L.A. to New York. I definitely want to do that one day myself.

@veecee - Yeah my mother saved it. I've told her to save everything of mine, the drawings, the toys, my comic books et al. I'm very nostalgic and I don't want any of that stuff to get lost or given to other kids.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 21, 2012 8:11 pm  #83

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

No, but I know the song.

June 21, 2012 8:13 pm  #84

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

So I just finished reading The Adventure of the Speckled Band and googled the eponymous snake to see if it actually exists.  According to Wikipedia (so it may or may not be true), ACD was referring to a swamp adder.  Which lives in East Africa, not India. 

Be that as it may, I suspect that what makes me unique on this board, although not in the universe, is that I'm the only person who's ever been bitten by an adder.  Fortunately, the outcome was different from that of the story!  Though I did spend a night in the hospital, pumped full of anti-venom to reduce the swelling in my arm.  Fun to laugh about now but at the time--not so much.   

A little background on this story?

June 22, 2012 12:27 am  #85

veecee wrote:

A little background on this story?

Backstory, hmm.  Okay: I was a teenager, newly arrived in Scandinavia as an exchange student.  Out walking with some others, saw a snake on the ground.  I liked snakes.  Bent down to look.  Showed off by trying to pick it up.  Was learning something other than Parseltongue so snake rightly up and bit my hand.  Oops!  Off to the hospital went I.  Moral of the story: If you're gonna take risks, don't be stupid about it. 

But I still like snakes and I still like to do adventurous things.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 23, 2012 12:51 pm  #86

You know what they say: fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 23, 2012 12:56 pm  #87

Davina: Yeah, I'm certainly not an angel! 

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (June 23, 2012 12:58 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 23, 2012 4:28 pm  #88

You mean...you're not on the side of the angels?

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 23, 2012 5:06 pm  #89

Oh, I might be on the side of angels, but...   

June 23, 2012 10:55 pm  #90

Very brave of you to admit that, SP. I admire your courage on that. It probably took even more to come out in real life, not only because it's a face-to-face experience, but also because people aren't always accepting.

Here's a list:
I play the viola (although everyone already knows that)
I love math.
I text wayyyyy too much but almost never call people.
I am fixated on trains. I will go out of my way to ride them.
I once played five separate parts in a spectacularly bad production of Number the Stars: The Musical.
I speak French.

Last edited by Smoggy_London_Air (June 23, 2012 10:55 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

June 24, 2012 12:47 am  #91

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

Very brave of you to admit that, SP. I admire your courage on that. It probably took even more to come out in real life, not only because it's a face-to-face experience, but also because people aren't always accepting.

Here's a list:
I play the viola (although everyone already knows that)
I love math.
I text wayyyyy too much but almost never call people.
I am fixated on trains. I will go out of my way to ride them.
I once played five separate parts in a spectacularly bad production of Number the Stars: The Musical.
I speak French.

Thanks SLA. Yes I sacrificed a lot to be true to myself but ultimately don't we all? I think the viola is such a lovely sounding instrument. I'll bet you play beautifully!

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 24, 2012 4:10 am  #92

Does Sherlock's voice sound more like a viola or a cello?

Last edited by veecee (June 24, 2012 4:10 am)

June 24, 2012 8:29 am  #93

veecee wrote:

Does Sherlock's voice sound more like a viola or a cello?

A cello, my dear...
I love the viola too, by the way

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 24, 2012 11:50 am  #94

My favourite cellist is the late Jacqueline du Pre, sadly taken before her time.

June 24, 2012 12:11 pm  #95

I've only tried playing the violin once or twice but my unofficial godfather is a real master with the instrument. He was even asked to go teach in Berklee this fall. So I don't have experience of my own, but I do like violin music, and strings especially. The 80th anniversary John Williams concert I saw this spring, was one of the most amazing music experiences I've had. Hearing themes like Star Wars, Jaws and Indiana Jones playing by a 80-piece orchestra was really something.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 24, 2012 1:44 pm  #96

Davina wrote:

My favourite cellist is the late Jacqueline du Pre, sadly taken before her time.

Oooh... Davina, she's my favourite cellist too. So passionate, so expressive and musical... And that Elgar recording is historic. Best version of that piece (in my opinion) though the CD I own has the one with Barbirolli conducting, which I find even better.

Another wonderful (and powerful) performance of Mrs Du Pre I love (but this is a bit more controversial, I think): Haydn cello concerto in D, second movement. This makes me weep

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 24, 2012 1:55 pm  #97

Thank you for the musical interludes. I, too, love the sound of the cello (and other strings). I enjoy Yo Yo Ma.

I'm glad you agree, Irene, that Sherlock's voice is like a cello. Anyone who doesn't know what we mean, listen to him read Ode to a Nightingale.

Last edited by veecee (June 25, 2012 1:38 am)

June 24, 2012 11:39 pm  #98

Cello, definitely. But the lower notes on the viola (Cs and Bs, mostly) do sound a little bit like Sherlock's throaty baritone. (Or more like vice versa, but you get my point)

@Dramagod, I'm kind of having a freaky-outy moment right now because I went to an 80-piece orchestra John Williams concert too. Either a major coincidence or...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know; I saw.

June 24, 2012 11:45 pm  #99

Smoggy, was it also to celebrate his 80th birthday? I'd think they celebrate him in many countries. The concert here was a couple weeks before his actual birthday though.

June 25, 2012 1:26 am  #100

Dramagod wrote:

Smoggy, was it also to celebrate his 80th birthday? I'd think they celebrate him in many countries. The concert here was a couple weeks before his actual birthday though.

It was to celebrate his 80th birthday. Either way, even if it wasn't strictly speaking the same concert I think we can agree the music was great. Schindler's List especially. Did they play that at yours?

I didn't know; I saw.

Board footera