BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 18, 2014 4:37 pm  #41

Re: No waltz for Sherlock

Yes he looked very sad. He opened to Janine, telling her, he loves to dance... Then she is dancing with the guy, that Sherlock suggested her during the speech, as he tried to solve the cases...

It was so sad .

Also I think Sherlock actually went away from that bench before, because John started to talking about Mary moving his whole life around, just after Sherlock said it won't change anything, lying to himself.

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

January 18, 2014 5:34 pm  #42

chekchekdizout wrote:

I just feel so sad for poor Sherlock. And I don't understand where the writers are going with this, it just feels so contradictory... Is anyone feeling the same way / Can anyone explain or make a guess at what's going to happen??

I'm guessing you haven't see His Last Vow yet, have you? Cause I think that episode will answer your question.

January 18, 2014 6:17 pm  #43

tonnaree wrote:

Punch me in the face wrote:

I know this is a bit off-topic, but when I watched TSOT, I couldn't help think about Le Petit Prince/ The Little Prince ( a favourite of mine) at the end and to see Sherlock as the lonely fox the Little Prince. A fox who tells the Little Prince he is bored and asks him to tame him. The Little Prince does so, but at some point, he has to leave, and the fox is sad...

Well, see for yourself if you're not familiar with this book:

"To me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys. And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me. To you, I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world . . ."

"~~"My life is very monotonous," the fox said. "I hunt chickens; men hunt me. All the chickens are just alike, and all the men are just alike. And, in consequence, I am a little bored. But if you tame me, it will be as if the sun came to shine on my life. I shall know the sound of a step that will be different from all the others. Other steps send me hurrying back underneath the ground. Yours will call me, like music, out of my burrow. And then look: you see the grain-fields down yonder? I do not eat bread. Wheat is of no use to me. The wheat fields have nothing to say to me. And that is sad. But you have hair that is the color of gold. Think how wonderful that will be when you have tamed me! The grain, which is also golden, will bring me back the thought of you. And I shall love to listen to the wind in the wheat . . ." 

"~~So the little prince tamed the fox. And when the hour of his departure drew near--

"Ah," said the fox, "I shall cry."

"It is your own fault," said the little prince. "I never wished you any sort of harm; but you wanted me to tame you . . ."

"Yes, that is so," said the fox.

"But now you are going to cry!" said the little prince.

"Yes, that is so," said the fox.

"Then it has done you no good at all!"

"It has done me good," said the fox, "because of the color of the wheat fields."

"~~It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.""

>>>>> John has seen Sherlock with his heart. He has seen the great man he was while others could only see an arrogant asshole. Sherlock didn't need him at first. He was fine on his own. "Alone protected him". But now that he knows what it is to have a friend and to be a friend, he is heartbroken to see John slowly drifting away from him. Yet he won't stop that because he loves John and only wants his happiness...

Awww...

You manged to tie in The Little Prince with Sherlock.   *GROSS SOBBING*  John tamed him.

It's NOT just a tv show!  It's not!  It is all that is good and right in the world!!   *assumes fetal position and continues gross sobbing*

Yes.
That was brilliant.......!

January 18, 2014 6:24 pm  #44

John has tamed him and he is realising that being tied to John ties him to others.
Jump to when Janine says we could of been friends...I really liked you moment and he seems sad about missing the opportunity of another friend.. .
He must be so used to people not liking him...awwww

January 18, 2014 7:00 pm  #45

I think he finds Janine mildly entertaining, but I don't think he was really interested in another friend.  There isn't a vacancy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 18, 2014 8:33 pm  #46

Maybe he is looking sad because he thought this would be his opportunity to make a move on Janine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 18, 2014 8:40 pm  #47

As I'm sure you've gathered, ' that kind of thing' irks me even more than the Johnlock!
It was just as well I knew The Canon, so I could howl with laughter at the Janine scenes..otherwise my reaction would have been worse than John's!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 18, 2014 8:48 pm  #48

Oh, but even without knowing the canon there were small hints in this scenes which let transpire that he was just pretending

January 18, 2014 8:55 pm  #49

The look and the 'out of a book' comments!

January 25, 2014 8:56 pm  #50

I just watched it TSoT again and during that scene at the very end I thought all of a sudden: it could have been different (if the writers had wanted it to be different). Because just look the scene...! Sherlock tells John and Mary to go dancing, Mary asks Sherlock "What about you?", John says that they can't all dance, there are limits. But look at the crowd: Nobody there is actually waltzing, they are all dancing as you would in a club. So, it would have been possible for John and Mary to just dance like all the others do and to invite Sherlock to dance with them.
And even if it might not be the right music for Sherlock: I'm under the impression that he would have danced to that music with Janine, he was almost on his way to her when he realised that she was dancing with another man.

But of course... they obviously chose this ending for a purpose...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 25, 2014 10:57 pm  #51

It breaks my heart every time

January 25, 2014 11:00 pm  #52

Oh he'll get John back...

January 26, 2014 2:42 pm  #53

I happen to attach songs and spoken words and so on...
So I figured out the song at the end of TSoT: http://www.lastfm.de/music/The+Four+Seasons/_/December,+1963+%28Oh,+What+A+Night%29
When I listen to it, I always have the scene in my mind and what Sherlock says...
And it still makes me sad...

February 1, 2014 3:48 am  #54

I was very surprised Sherlock liked dancing and was good at it. He is graceful (as is Benedict ) but that's a talent I would associate with a more social person.

February 1, 2014 8:44 am  #55

Oh but it's so much more freeing to dance alone and in private!

February 1, 2014 2:25 pm  #56

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

I was very surprised Sherlock liked dancing and was good at it. He is graceful (as is Benedict ) but that's a talent I would associate with a more social person.

I love that little scene; Sherlock's poignant

"Never really comes up in crime work, but, you know, I live in hope of the right case"

is beautifully done; both touching and hilarious at the same time 

February 1, 2014 4:15 pm  #57

Brilliant writing, again.

March 13, 2014 7:55 am  #58

Let me come back to this thread for a moment because there is another scene which belongs to this. 

On the morning of the wedding day Mrs Hudson brings Sherlock his tea and finds him dancing alone to the tunes of the waltz he has composed for John and Mary. Why does he do this? He is not meant to dance to this music because this is the big moment for the newly wedded couple. This is just for John and his partner. When we see Sherlock exercising with Janine we hear The Blue Danube, not the wedding waltz. But then Sherlock tells Mary on the dance floor that he has been tutoring John.

So we see Sherlock on the morning of John's wedding (remember his look towards the chair and the words "into battle") dancing alone to the music he has written for John and Mary and to which he has danced with John. Behind closed curtains because people might talk. 

As always, just observations, no speculations. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera