BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 11, 2014 12:59 am  #1

If Mycroft is smarter than Sherlock why does he rely on him?

There are some hints that Mycroft is superior in intellect that Sherlock. But if that's the case, why does he rely on Sherlock to solve many mysteries, why doesn't he just figure it out himself?

March 11, 2014 1:18 am  #2

Re: If Mycroft is smarter than Sherlock why does he rely on him?

Because he despises 'legwork'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

March 11, 2014 1:22 am  #3

Wholocked wrote:

Because he despises 'legwork'

Yeah I guess I get that for the petty crimes. But with the events at the beginning of season 3 and the fact that he went out of his way to do some legwork there anyways. It seems that the nation could really use Mycroft instead of just waiting for Sherlock to figure it out.

March 11, 2014 2:24 am  #4

I would like to believe that they are talented in different areas. They're both good at deduction, but Mycroft is more skilled in analysesing systems, and Sherlock criminal.
In the original books, Mycroft is someone who helped the government to work more effectively.

Sentiment is a chemical defect found in the losing side.
-SH
You need me, or you are nothing.
-JM
James Moriarty isn't a man at all. He's a spider. A spider at the center of a web. A criminal web with a thousand threads and he knows precisely how each and every single one of them dances.
-SH

March 11, 2014 2:26 am  #5

And Mycroft may not really need Sherlock to solve problem, he cared about him. That's their brotherhood.

Sentiment is a chemical defect found in the losing side.
-SH
You need me, or you are nothing.
-JM
James Moriarty isn't a man at all. He's a spider. A spider at the center of a web. A criminal web with a thousand threads and he knows precisely how each and every single one of them dances.
-SH

March 11, 2014 10:05 am  #6

It is also, perhaps, a nod to the original stories. In these Mycroft is acknowledged as a superior intellect to Sherlock but he is intrinsically lazy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 11, 2014 12:32 pm  #7

Mycroft is a state official and has a high position in the government so he would be compromised if seen in the company of suspicious individuals and shady criminals. It′s inconcievable for him to be associated with such people. It could also be seen as a harassment by state if Mycroft interrogated suspects personally or tried to uncover clues by himself. Meanwhile, Sherlock as a private detective consultant is free to go where he pleases, to stick his nose into every stuff he wishes and to pry the clues from any individual connected with the crime scene without causing such fuss. Sherlock is therefore a perfect tool for Mycroft to use in cases where his personal interference is not possible.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 11, 2014 3:03 pm  #8

There is also the fact that Mycroft works 16 hour days already; there isn't the time...

March 11, 2014 10:56 pm  #9

Mmmmm, he doesn't want to crease his bespoke suit?
I think Mycroft tries to make sure that Sherlock isn't bored because when Sherlock is bored the chances are he will turn to a '7% solution' to ease the boredom.

March 12, 2014 9:51 am  #10

But you don′t entrust somebody with cases on which national security depends just to cure their boredom. Mycroft knows that he can rely on Sherlock, he gives credence to his abilities and he is confident that Sherlock will handle those cases swiftly, discreetly and successfuly. His worries about „7% solution“ are just an afterthought.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 12, 2014 11:00 pm  #11

The men in question - they each need each other.

......Aquarian free spirit

Board footera