BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 9, 2014 5:18 pm  #21

Re: What are your top 10 Must-See Benedict movies/TV shows?

I know, it's probably not an alternative for many people but you could try the library of your town and have a look if they have some of the movies. Especially popular titles like TTSS and Parade's End might be available. It depends of course where you live. I am lucky, there are a lot of local libraries in the various districts of Hamburg and the selection of DVDs is quite good (e.g. Third Star, Wreckers). Could be a legal option to YT and if you like a movie in particular, you can still buy it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

March 9, 2014 5:23 pm  #22

Stuart: A Life Backwards. I'm a bit biased as I really like the book but I think the adaptation is really good.

March 9, 2014 6:32 pm  #23

You should see my amazon shopping cart right now. Talk about going crazy. And all just because I needed "something else" to buy so I would get over the no-postage limit of 20 EUR.

March 9, 2014 6:58 pm  #24

TeeJay wrote:

You should see my amazon shopping cart right now. Talk about going crazy. And all just because I needed "something else" to buy so I would get over the no-postage limit of 20 EUR.

Lol that is the story of my life. I'm addicted to books and there is always a good excuse of one sort of another to add 'just one more' to the amazon cart.

Last edited by belis (March 9, 2014 6:58 pm)

March 9, 2014 7:00 pm  #25

Let me havea look at my shelf. So these are mine without any special order:

Parade's End
Amazing Grace
Small Island
Third Star
Stuart. A Life Backwards
Tinker, Tailer, Soldier, Spy
Van Gogh Painted With Words
Hawking

Last edited by SusiGo (March 9, 2014 7:02 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 9, 2014 7:04 pm  #26

I think I've got pretty much all of those on my shopping list now. Yay! You've all been so helpful in picking the Benedict gems, thank you!!!

March 9, 2014 10:23 pm  #27

Oh man, I must be totally crazy. I just ordered 80 Euros worth of Benedict DVDs. It's basically all the recommended stuff, minus Fortysomething and Wreckers, which I've put on the backburner for now. I'm sure there's going to be ways to sample either of those two first before I decide to spend money on them. But this should keep me afloat for the next week or ten.

Well, it's not like I don't have a ton of other shows to watch, but, well... You can never have too much Cumberbatch in your life, can you?

March 10, 2014 7:37 am  #28

I'm willing to overdose on Cumberbatch for the good of science!
What's sad is that I had seen Atonement, Creation, and The Other Bolyn Girl, blissfully unaware of him. (This was Before Sherlock, of course)

Last edited by CuteCumber (March 10, 2014 7:40 am)

March 10, 2014 7:48 am  #29

I don't think I can bear to watch him in Atonement 
I think I'd have missed him in Creation too if I'd not been looking for him - such a tiny part for him and also for Toby Jones - another very underrated Actor, imo.
I don't imagine he had a very big part in The Other Boleyn Girl, either - I love the Tudor Period of History and prefer watching documentaries on this era, rather than fictionalised accounts, so I didn't see that one.

Last edited by Tinks (March 10, 2014 7:49 am)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

March 10, 2014 7:56 am  #30

He is really creepy in "Atonement". Maybe his only character that is just loathsome. Tbh, I did not really like the book and had the same feeling with the film, but not because of his performance. For me the story is somehow lacking. Hard to describe, it is more of a feeling. I suppose it is over-construced in a way. 
I like "Creation" very much but did not include it in the list because his part is so small. But it is a fascinating story and the actor who plays Darwin is excellent. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 10, 2014 8:01 am  #31

I watched Creation only recently and while I thought Paul Bettany acted really well, I was disappointed that so much was left out.
Another reason I didn't watch Atonement when it first came out is that I don't really like Keira Knightley's acting
I'm going to have to get over this though, as I really want to see TIG!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

March 10, 2014 9:55 am  #32

CuteCumber wrote:

I'm willing to overdose on Cumberbatch for the good of science!
What's sad is that I had seen Atonement, Creation, and The Other Bolyn Girl, blissfully unaware of him. (This was Before Sherlock, of course)

I know what you mean. I run fansites for two different actors, and before I "discovered" them, I had seen them in one or two things without taking notice. Quite funny how selective perception works, isn't it?

I'm not averse to watching Benedict in Atonement, actually. It'd be interesting to see him play someone who's completely despicable. It's just that neither the book nor the film hold any interest for me. So I don't think I'm gonna watch that one, unless I find someone who owns the DVD and can lend it to me.

March 11, 2014 5:14 am  #33

I really loved To the Ends of the Earth; but then, I adore maritime fiction and I love history. Benedict is superb ( and quite different from Sherlock)

Last edited by deerstalker (March 11, 2014 5:15 am)

March 11, 2014 10:08 am  #34

Hehe, here's a nice coincidence for you. One of my colleagues mentioned she had a stack of DVDs that she's seen and doesn't need anymore, and we could have a look and take some if we want. I just looked through them, and "Amazing Grace" was staring at me. Guess I don't need to go and order that one from amazon, then. Yay!

March 11, 2014 6:57 pm  #35

Ooh lucky Teejay!!!! I'd love to see that film.

I really love To the ends of the earth. Talbot is a wonderful character, wonderfully played

I'm clueing for looks

March 12, 2014 5:28 am  #36

TeeJay wrote:

I'm not averse to watching Benedict in Atonement, actually. It'd be interesting to see him play someone who's completely despicable. It's just that neither the book nor the film hold any interest for me. So I don't think I'm gonna watch that one, unless I find someone who owns the DVD and can lend it to me.

Yeah, it was too-slow paced for me; Ben only shows up sporadically as far as I can recall. You may be better off finding You-tube or other clips of just him somewhere (given his popularity, I'm sure it's out there on the net)

March 12, 2014 6:38 am  #37

It's too often the case that he only show up sporadically in some of these films.
Hopefully there are more Movies to come where he'll have bigger roles and we'll see more of him

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

March 12, 2014 1:40 pm  #38

Hawking is amazing and so inspiring. Benedict just completely immersed himself into the role. 

Regarding a favourite Benedict's TV show, would talkshow appearances count? Benedict was fantastic as the guest host in "Have I Got News For You?". I don't know if his jokes are read from a teleprompter or impromptu but nevertheless he was so funny! It can be found on Vimeo. 

March 12, 2014 7:35 pm  #39

The Stuart - A Life Backwards DVD arrived today, and I've got Amazing Grace, Third Star and Creation ready to watch too. Now I just need the time to dig into all that. And there's more on the way. Just the kind of thing I need to have a good excuse not to spend time outside with the evil hazel and alder pollen that are making my life miserable right now.

I might as well watch Third Star right now, cause my eyes are already irritated and red from the massive pollen crap outside that it doesn't matter much if I add more irritation from a good dose of crying. Cause I already know I will, and I'm usually a mess afterwards.

Last edited by TeeJay (March 12, 2014 7:52 pm)

March 12, 2014 9:33 pm  #40

Okay, Third Star => watched. I'm not a mess. Two lone tears there at the end. Wow. I was so sure this movie was going to tear me apart. Which isn't to say it wasn't good. And it's not like it didn't evoke emotion. I literally had a knot in my stomach for most of it. Very beautifully filmed and portrayed. A true story of friendship and life and the things that matter. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to have a bit of a wake-up call like that.

Board footera