BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 21, 2012 3:37 pm  #1

The Fall from two different perspectives

I have some questions I'm really hoping the show answers in a satisfying way. It seems to me there's a bit of a contradiction.

Sherlock's insistence on John standing in a precise location, "keep your eyes fixed on me," saying it's "all a magic trick," these point to a classic illusionist-style misdirection. It also makes it seem like there is some preparation on the other side of the low building which Sherlock's preventing John from seeing.

My problem is that he knows he's meeting Moriarty on that roof. It's not just John he has to fool, it's Jim... and Jim has a clear view of the area where the "preparations" must take place from above. Anything subtle enough to fool Moriarty is practically assured of going straight over John's head. So why the insistence on John staying where he is?

For that matter... what if Moriarty hadn't shot himself? Sherlock seems genuinely surprised by the suicide. But anything set up to arrest his momentum on the way down would almost certainly be visible from the roof. Would Sherlock really have counted on Jim *not* leaning over to watch him hit the pavement?

Anyone have any ideas?

June 21, 2012 7:59 pm  #2

Re: The Fall from two different perspectives

Yeah, I think you nailed it pretty much.
The great mystery is not how he faked his death, but how he survived the fall.

If he fell on something like a mattress, John couldn't have seen it but Moriarty could. Same goes for nets etc.
What in hell could he have done to make the fall look real to both of them? I already thought about something hidden underneath his shirt but I don't know if that's possible... ;)

I agree that Moriarty could have easily leaned over and looked down. But maybe Sherlock really counted on him not leaning over... He's Sherlock after all, he figures that stuff out .
Because if anyone had seen Moriarty on the rooftop the "omg he committed suicide" would have easily become a "someone pushed him!"...
I'm really not sure about this.
Maybe his plan did indeed include fooling both Moriarty and John.

Curious about other ideas on this ;)

June 22, 2012 6:58 pm  #3

I think Sherlock had two plans. Plan A, which he was hoping would work, was talking Moriarty off the roof or however, so he didn't have to fall. He is genuinely surprised when Moriarty shoots himself. And the moment where he seems to resolve himself to the idea he has to die, is him actually realizing he is going to have to jump to save his friends. Because however he survived, whatever he fell on, I can't imagine anyone really relishing the idea that they have to fall off a roof, even if they know they're going to survive.

Moffat has said that the clue is that Sherlock acts out of character. I *think* I figured that part out; tell me what you guys think: If Sherlock told Molly he thinks he's going to die, obviously he knew that was Moriarty's plan. So why does he act surprised when he "figures it out" on the roof in front of Moriarty? He's got to be stalling. Why? To get Moriarty to talk? To what end? Did he have the little camera? Did he record it on his phone? Because if his "note" was the call to John, then why would he toss his phone on the roof? Why not put it in his pocket like he *always* does? Or was he stalling because Molly was doing things on the ground?

IMHO this IS Sherlock after all.. he's got to have plans, plural. Which leads me to think that him reaching out to John while on the phone with him is sweet and fits in with my theory that Sherlock has learned to be a bit more feeling thanks to John ("You mean thank you". "A bit not good".) I think it's also a signal to Molly and his homeless network on the ground, that yes, Plan B is in play.

Thoughts?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Fantastic."
Sherlock: "Meretricious."
Lestrade: "And happy new year."

"Oh, but we both know that's not quite true"

June 22, 2012 7:27 pm  #4

I agree that he has to have plans, plural. But wouldn't one of them have to be "I have to jump and Moriarty is alive on the roof"? I mean, he has to prepare for all possibilities, depending on what sort of coercion Moriarty has prepared to make him kill himself. The scene with Molly proves he knew what the ending to Moriarty's story was, but not necessarily the precise path that he'd use to steer Sherlock there.

Do you think Sherlock anticipated the assassins? Or relied on being able to outsmart Moriarty? I suppose he could have, but he did make plans to jump, which means he wasn't completely confident he could beat him through anything but faking his own death.

The "surprise" was an act for Moriarty, I think, to prevent him suspecting that Sherlock made contingency plans for jumping off the roof. But you're right about stalling... he drags it out. It could be about comfort, but I'm not sure that listening to a friend's suicide note and then watching him fall to his death while you stand there helpless... talk about trauma. Think about the "if only"s you'd have in that situation, the "was there something I could have said?" doubts. I'd almost prefer not having the call at all. But then, Sherlock doesn't really understand most people's emotional reactions to things, so it could be a "not good?" moment as well. Or it could be to really sell the suicide to John, since without getting a confession from the horse's mouth I imagine he'd suspect foul play, but I don't know why that's necessary either.

The phone is really interesting, though. A recording of Moriarty talking that way would go a long way toward clearing Sherlock's name. Post-article, there is absolutely no way that "Richard Brook" could have been hired to perform that scene, so it's proof that Moriarty really existed.

June 23, 2012 3:54 pm  #5

You know, I don't think one of his plans was to jump if Moriarty was alive. I mean, he's the sort who can't imagine not being able to talk his way out of something, you know? (Now I think I'll have to go watch again. You know, for research purposes ;)

He had to have made the call/John watch because John HAD to believe he was dead. He has to. I think he knows John will understand why he did it. It will be interesting to see how they play it though.

I don't believe there's any question as to Moriaty being real or not. "Did you start to doubt I was real?" Where Sherlock says "I created Moriarty", I think that's him thinking Moriarty became who he was because he heard of Sherlock.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 23, 2012 5:27 pm  #6

One possibility would be that he, like BrightBlueEyes said, he never planned to jump when Moriarty was around.
He had a plan to survive if he really needed to jump but that was really just the last option for him.
He knew that Moriarty would want him to jump so it was safe to have a plan for that, but his actual plan probably was to get Moriarty to... I don't know, call back the snipers, make a confession, be arrested?
And he didn't expect Moriarty to spoil all this by committing suicide. That explains the surprise, which to me seems very honest.

Well, that would be one explanation. That was he only needs to fool John.
And that leaves more possibilities open... well, like nets, mattresses etc. because John couldn't see that from where he was standing.

June 23, 2012 5:42 pm  #7

What I've always wondered is.
How could Sherlock have forced the code out of Moriarty? Because he seems pretty sturdy to me...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 23, 2012 6:16 pm  #8

He is very sturdy... but that goes to the idea that Sherlock and Moriarty are really the only two people as far as they are concerned. Everyone else is..beneath them? Sure Mycroft tried torturing him and such, but let's face it... how dull.

Moriarty has people he moves around and plays with. That's what they're for. Pawns in his game? Bugs in his web, as it were.

Sherlock never understood the concept, I think, that there were even other people. Thank god for his blogger ;)

June 23, 2012 6:24 pm  #9

Sammy- I agree. As long as John thought he was dead.

So what was Molly DOING while Sherlock stalled? Whatever it was, we have to remember that he only had the night to plan. *realizes she just said *only* in context to Sherlock and smacks herself in the face*
But if Moffat said the clue is that he acts strange, I believe that the bit there, where he pretends to figure it out. I know the outside building had to have something to do with it, because Sherlock makes John turn around, go back, and then go to the left and then look up. Was Molly hiding there? Who did she have with her? Was she one of the people in scrubs holding people back?

I believe the cyclist was one of the homeless-he didn't have to know WHY he was knocking John down, just that he was. The keys, I believe, are that John HAD to believe he was dead. And the fewer people that knew, the better. So..Sherlock, Molly, and a few homeless people disguised as bystanders, who didn't even have to know why they were doing things. *shrugs*

Board footera