BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 19, 2012 2:27 pm  #1

My Fair Lady- Ascot

I am off to Royal Ascot on Friday to watch the gee-gees race (lucky, I know and also praying for good weather) anyhow it got me thinking that I love the film My Fair Lady. Audrey Hepburn was so stunning and Rex Harrison is often hilarious.

I particularly marvel at the costuming and choreography for the Ascot Opening Day set piece and Eliza's urging on Dover. Hilarious!

Got any tips anyone?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 19, 2012 3:06 pm  #2

Re: My Fair Lady- Ascot

are you at the one where the queen goes to?   do you wear a hat?   I  too loved My  Fair Lady  and those dresses!!  My  what big hats,  too!!  It's a wonder that the men were able to see the horses.  they did that scene with a slow mo camera too.  Brilliant.  Oh  that video was funny!!   thanks!!   that's my chuckle for today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 19, 2012 3:43 pm  #3

My Fair Lady is my all time favorite musical and I love them all Davina, You need to glam out for this one, girlfriend! You can be sure I would

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

June 19, 2012 7:24 pm  #4

I shall probably wear a hat, if I'm in the Royal Enclosure I have to wear one with a brim. I think I shall be wearing...black and white, like in the film but sadly not one of Cecil Beaton's fantastic designs. 

I shall try to refrain for shouting out like Eliza does...at least, if I do, I shall try to avoid exactly the same words (although I can do a more than passable impression of her, when in the right mind.)

I do like a bit of a flutter on the horses.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 19, 2012 10:18 pm  #5

Davina wrote:

I do like a bit of a flutter on the horses.

As a lifelong Anglophile stuck with an American twang and wishing I could speak like Mrs. Peel for one day, I got shivers when you said that.

Oh that sounds like a lovely choice. I like wearing black and white too although it is not a color fit for my red hair. I do better with blues, mauves, pumpkins, browns and greens. 

Cecil Beaton was the ultimate in costume design.

Wouldn't Lara Pulver make a wonderful Eliza?

June 19, 2012 11:24 pm  #6

Ascot,  hats, horses,  My Fair Lady  with dear Jeremy Brett as Freddy Eynsford-Hill !   That's (very nearly) canon!   

Have fun Davina.

June 20, 2012 12:50 pm  #7

Thanks! The weather forecast is, of course, disappointingly poor for Friday. I think I may be spending quite a lot of my time holding on to my hat and will not have to worry about sun cream! I am torn between the black and white or the dusty pink outfit with which I can wear my chocolate brown hat with pink trimmings and brown and pink feather. Oh! Decisions! Decision!

I shall make a small toast to you all, plus JB and AH whilst I am there with a drop of bubbly!

June 21, 2012 10:49 am  #8

Just saw photos of Ascot. Really loved this dress on Danielle Lineker:

My kind of style !

June 21, 2012 12:29 pm  #9

That's a really nicely tailored dress isn't it, quite demure really. Not sure she would get into the Royal Enclosure with her hat though.

I'm going to go with my dusty pink little number as it's not supposed to be very warm tomorrow (only about 15 degrees). I love the hat that goes with it.

June 21, 2012 1:04 pm  #10

Davina wrote:

That's a really nicely tailored dress isn't it, quite demure really. Not sure she would get into the Royal Enclosure with her hat though.

I'm going to go with my dusty pink little number as it's not supposed to be very warm tomorrow (only about 15 degrees). I love the hat that goes with it.

Davina, please take a photo! We want to see how gorgeous you look!

June 21, 2012 1:23 pm  #11

I'll see what I can do! I might be able to get one of me 'at darlin'.
There will be gents there with top hats 'n' all too!

Sooo excited! Might see some royalty...or...maybe Benedict follows the races...!

June 21, 2012 1:38 pm  #12

Davina wrote:

I'll see what I can do! I might be able to get one of me 'at darlin'.
There will be gents there with top hats 'n' all too!

Sooo excited! Might see some royalty...or...maybe Benedict follows the races...!

Wow so romantic! Have a wonderful time and tell us all about it afterwards!

June 22, 2012 10:11 pm  #13

It was lovely day, despite it being very windy and my hat blowing away, to be stopped by a gentleman who obviously played some football in his youth! I saw the queen for the first time ever. She arrived in a horse drawn carriage which came along the race track accompanied by lots of outriders on horseback as well. She was dressed in purple, which I think is quite an unusual colour for her to choose.

I had four winners and placed runners in five races, which was sheer skill on my part (very fluky actually!) so I was very pleased. The pink champagne was very...bubbly...and refreshing.

Later I saw the Queen again as her horse won a race and she was awarded the winners cup by Prince Philip.  I was doubly pleased as I had bet on it!

A lovely day out. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to see a bit of British heritage. It is wonderful to see all the men dressed up in their top hat and tails, the stewards in bowler hats and the ladies wearing their finery. A very special occasion.

June 22, 2012 10:29 pm  #14

Wow, Davina, that sounded totally fab!
I bet you looked stunning!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 22, 2012 11:47 pm  #15

Congrats Davina! You rock, girl! I've got to put Ascot on my Bucket List

June 23, 2012 12:41 pm  #16

Stunned more than stunning I suspect Molly! Lol!
Definitely one for the bucket list.

One of my winners was 'Fallen for You'. I chose this for no other reason than Sherlock jumping off the roof for his friends.

June 23, 2012 4:37 pm  #17

I just watched a replay of the race, Davina. Wasn't the winner wearing a pink and brown shirt?
How appropriate that you chose to wear that dress!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

Board footera